GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

DJ
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

Post by DJ »

OK. It sounds like it's time for you to write a how-to booklet for the rest of us.
"Some people like to relax in a leather recliner,

but to others there is nothing better than cardboard ...on concrete."
(under a car)

Valvoline commercial.

Please visit the thread on my GL1000 fixup.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 084#147084

PHOTO ALBUM ADDRESS-- http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/DJ

socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

The controller I'm using now is very expensive, but will be working with a hacked Ford oem unit over the winter. Should be just as capable but a much better match cost-wise to the project.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Keep on keepin on, we enjoy the lesson!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
kb0ou
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kb0ou »

Socrace
I am very interested in this project, running a 79 with LD's manifold and pic-30 carb.
It does okay, very simple.
I have a whole set of 90's/carbs extra. Would like to look at putting one throttle body on the manifold with injectors on 90's (welded in).
This would simplify the set up as no synch of throttle bodies would be needed and injectors would be right on the head.
Need more info on computers etc.
Thanks,
John kb0ou
1979 Goldwing gave it away... :(
GL Bryan
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by GL Bryan »

Have you made headway on converting a Ford ECU? I am looking into this and would rather spend the money on efi than rebuild carbs. What about a Geo metro unit? It is set up for a 1000cc engine, although it is a three cylinder.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

An update: have bench tested the Ford ecu using simulated sensors like the ones on the Wing and things look good so far, although still stuck on how best to mount a crank trigger wheel.
As for using the Geo Metro system, Its a interesting possibility but pretty sure the ecu has not been hacked.
westgl
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by westgl »

Has anyone used stock carb's for metering Air Only (Not running any fuel to them) and use injectors with a fuel rail to each fuel Injector on each intake manifold.

thanks

Westgl
1983 GL1100I Beige was an Interstate, Now Naked, Refresh & needs repaint
1984 GL1200A Naked 4Cyl.Valkyrie, Single Valk. seat & Valk. Gas Tank
1986 GL1200 Naked Hotrod with some old school in the mix (Completely gone through) Better than new
1988 GL1500 76 k miles, Naked 6cyl. building into a HotRod trike. (Under Construction)
1999 GL1500 45K miles Runs excellent
2006 M109R 1800cc Naked Reverse Trike
previous bikes, (there are way too many to list)
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Hey westgl, that's some hardcore hardware in your garage!
Using carbs as throttle bodies makes alot of sense to me; takes
advantage of alot of the engineering that went into them as
far as induction tuning, linkage, etc goes. I would proably have
gone that route if the LTD setup hadn't been available as cheap
as it was complete with injectors, fuel rails and the rest of it.
Don_Karlos
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Don_Karlos »

Hi,
nice job! I'll convert my 1976 GL1000Ltd the same way. To westgl: Go to http://www.roadstercycle.com/index.htm and take a look at the cv carb to EFI conversion part of the web site. I'm currently adapting this idea for a GL1000 K3. When I'm finished I'll post some pictures of the adapters used instead of the CV slides. I'll use GSXR600 Injectors and a Megasquirt.
Greetings from Germany
Karl
CBX 1000 CB1 red
CBX 1000 CB1 black
GL 1000 Ltd
GL 1000 K3
BMW R100S
Z1300
HD Streetbob 2009
Simson S51N
MSGT-R
Lady Winger
Lady Winger

Post by MSGT-R »

Just plain WOW! This genius engineering has endless possibilities.
81 Interstate: gone but never forgotten.
13 F6B
NGW Cartel
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

Generally carburetors have smaller throats than EFI throttle bodies because an EFI TB does not need to accelerate the air as it comes through (to create the venturi effect)

While you're not limiting the air flow by using carbs, there's an opportunity to open that sucker up and potentially get better top end.

The only other issue is that carbs have "leaks" by design and most EFI TB's are sealed tight and control idle air with a valve of some type.

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
fmutters
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by fmutters »

ok here is a question for you ,,, say you take a tbi unit off of lets say a geo metro or something with the comperable displacement and instead of wiring a brain into your system what do you think about just wiring the injector to fire with the coils? the only downside i can think of to doing it like this is would not have the quick throttle response...but for a cruiser that really isnt extremely important
macka
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by macka »

fmutters wrote:ok here is a question for you ,,, say you take a tbi unit off of lets say a geo metro or something with the comperable displacement and instead of wiring a brain into your system what do you think about just wiring the injector to fire with the coils? the only downside i can think of to doing it like this is would not have the quick throttle response...but for a cruiser that really isnt extremely important
you might be able to flood it out if you crack it too fast. You need to have better control then just a fuel dump based on coil load.
1981 interstate 1100 not so stock
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

fmutters wrote:ok here is a question for you ,,, say you take a tbi unit off of lets say a geo metro or something with the comperable displacement and instead of wiring a brain into your system what do you think about just wiring the injector to fire with the coils? the only downside i can think of to doing it like this is would not have the quick throttle response...but for a cruiser that really isnt extremely important
The amount of fuel needed for the engine needs to be adjusted based on many variables. Not just RPM.

What you're describing is exactly the way older fuel injected (mechanical) generators ran. Generators run a constant speed and load doesn't vary much. All you needed was a choke to warm it up and to adjust for major load changes.

On an engine used for propulsion, the fuel required is mostly calculated with RPM and "load." Load is usually determined by measuring the vacuum in the intake manifold or sometimes with throttle position.

What you're missing by only using RPM is the ability to accelerate and decelerate.

A fixed fuel metering system prevents acceleration because to accelerate you need additional fuel and air. True, you need to create a rich condition in most cases to accelerate, but if you choke the air to create that rich condition, you've just restricted the amount of air and you will create a runaway rich condition and the motor would eventually die or seize.

A fixed fuel metering system prevents deceleration because to decelerate you need to starve the motor of fuel to create a lean condition. You could simply open the throttle to create that lean condition but you run a high risk of premature ignition and damage to your motor.

The simplest injection systems were the mechanical systems that varied fuel pulses based on RPM through a cam and varied fuel volume based on manifold pressure. Translating that into the electronic world is exactly what the MegaSquirt (and other EFI systems) do. The added advantage of getting electronics involved is that you can now adjust fuel based on any sensor on the engine: throttle position, oil temperature (or water temperature) atmospheric pressure, a valet switch, a rev limiter, etc. Most systems also incorporate ignition timing as well. The ability to control fuel and spark to these precise conditions is how you tune a motor to do everything well, and almost always better than the factory.

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

That's a great explanation!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D