Dumb front brake question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Dumb front brake question

Post by wolf_walker78 »

While we're on the subject, how about the rear wheel? It has the driveshaft on it and while it's not as stiff as my front one was, it's not moving after your hands off it either. Believe this was a factory master cylinder rebuilt along with the caliper.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check that too, starting with moving the caliper off of the disc to see whether the brake is dragging or the drivetrain.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Kinda what I was thinking. I finally ordered a neutral switch that USPS has toured around the country for some reason but should be here in the next few days, after that I'll look at it.
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

So I was roaming around upstairs in the parts area and noticed I actually still had the original master cylinder for the 79.
Breakcrafters had a rebuild kit and reservoir, supposedly made in Japan for whatever that's worth, so I ordered those up and powder coated the body after some time in the ultrasonic cleaner and a little cleanup of the bore. Interesting design these with the floating cup on the spring and the little spring steel star on the piston. Overall it's a lot nicer than the aftermarket ones, it sits level with the bars straight ahead for one, and it's easy to see the level and color of the fluid. I also ordered a NOS lever that has the proper bushings in it, I notice most of the aftermarket ones do not. Rainy and cold so no test ride yet but the lever feels good, is much closer to the handgrip(way closer than my clutch lever is which makes me wonder), no issue with releasing the pads, it bench bled easily and feels good overall. I did have an oddity where the piston was returning to its rest position slowly, you could see the brake light staying on for a split second after releasing the lever and it just sort of felt sluggish in general. Pulled it apart and re-cleaned everything and it's better but not quite perfect. Not sure why that is yet, maybe it will wear in with some use.

Powder coating is bloody awesome, there isn't a scratch on it even after pulling it off and banging it around the bench disassembling/reassembling it. Wish I'd started doing it sooner, and wish I'd done the calipers when I had them apart last week.

Still haven't got to the rear, maybe this week. No affiliation with these guys but they seem to have solid products and the attention to detail in their packaging speaks well of them. https://brakecrafters.com

mascyl.jpg
mascyl.jpg (119.87 KiB) Viewed 92 times
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Take the front m/c and turn it to its highest point and tie the lever all the way back again, that should firm up the front m/c and shorten the stroke.

Thanks for the Brake Crafters link, I’ve used them before with good results !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

redglbx wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:13 am Take the front m/c and turn it to its highest point and tie the lever all the way back again, that should firm up the front m/c and shorten the stroke.

Thanks for the Brake Crafters link, I’ve used them before with good results !
Did that last night, lever feels great, firm, good position, wheel releases as it should, the lever still springs back kinda "sticky".
I don't see any reason for it, when bench bleeding it felt fine.