NGK LD05FP (8070)

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: NGK LD05FP (8070)

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Yeah I've got a dyna points replacement module in it, it's akin to the Pertronix kits I've used in points cars.
Seems to work alright, surely better than points or at least for longer. I finally ordered some dyna coils for the next
round of fix-ing that I've been putting off for a few years on the 79. Runs well enough but 40 year old coils seems like asking for trouble.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

According to what Mike Nixon has said in the Guru section the GL1000s came with high performance coils so there is nothing to gain by changing to Dyna coils (other than replacing ancient electrical components). I bought a set of good used GL1500 coils for mine and they work pretty well.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

Dyna quotes 30Kv which is still on the low side these days, an HEI from any old small block chevy in the late 70's is in the 40k range. Unless Honda published specs who knows what the stock ones are rated at. Plenty good enough stock but a little extra never hurt (to a point), mostly I replaced them because they were 40 years old and you can ditch the ballast resistor with the dyna's. Theoretical reliability upgrade/preventative maintenance.

Unless you're doing something to make the mixture really hard to ignite, like forced induction, most "performance gains" from ignition upgrades are placebo effect unless there was something wrong to start with. Lot of opinions/marketing about such and not a lot of dyno proven results.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Couple of my thoughts.
A number of years ago I went to several bike shows in southern Illinois that were quite large where they actually had a NGK booth with some of their techs, it was popular at the time to just not run any resistance with the caps, wires or plugs under the guise of making the bike hotter/more powerful. I asked the NGK tech abought this who found this to be amusing. I learned a lot and actually had several of the NGK techs involved before the conversation was done.

So basically they said that the entire purpose of the 5k ohm caps was to fully fill the coils and was pretty adamant of the need for the caps-to make the bike run properly. They really didn’t care about noise suppression unless you were running a radio. So for me since the plug caps have become more difficult/expensive to get I’ve been just replacing the resistors with a piece of copper grounding wire and just running resistor plugs. It’s interesting that properly sized resistor plugs for the GL’s actually measure 5k ohms so no more failing resistors in the caps, I get fresh ones everytime I change the plugs, that’s what I do, along with solid core (stranded) wires that measure no resistance.

On wires, the oe automotive wires have been “carbon core” for years (early 60’s) with “spiral wound” wires being a relatively recent thing, which I generally only use MSD spiral wound wires which give me only 500ohms or less resistance per foot in my hot rods. Both the spiral wound and carbon core wires are about Emi noise suppression. I try to avoid using carbon core wires where possible as vibration, heat & time tend to crack the core.

About 100yrs ago I had a 68 Camaro that I ran a “hot” magneto in along with solid core wires, my mom always said that she knew when I was in the neighborhood because the tv would get some squiggly lines on it that would increase as I got closer until it completely scrambled the screen, I thought it was funny at the time but several neighbors found it less than amusing. It did provide some tense moments to say the least.
Last edited by redglbx on Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
wolf_walker78
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by wolf_walker78 »

I don't see any reason not to do resistor plugs instead of in the caps either, not sure if the heat range would be affected but if so I doubt it's by much or you'd have noticed by now. The NGK guys are probably right about having some resistance in there, cars do in the form of a little in the wire and resistor plugs, and they run a lot more coil voltage and I assume are designed with such in mind. Good point on the carbon and spiral wires though I wouldn't think a GL engine would be any worse than any other car gas engine for temps and vibes but you don't see very many non-solid automotive plug wires that last 40 years.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

If my memory is correct (questionable)

The stock Honda coils provide 6-7k volts and are very prone to cracks in the cases. Dyna & other aftermarket coils typically provide 30-40k volts but taper off drastically with added rpm, Less time to be filled.

With that said, spark needed to light the mixture is much less with rpm and I believe that stock coils are similar at higher rpm’s. The main benefit of the aftermarket coils is that if the engine is tuned correctly it will start much faster/easier as well as idle better and have better response in the lower rpm ranges,, noticeably. There is no more added power generally. Years ago I studied ignition theory & performance written by a guy (Chris Jacobs, very smart man) who had studied and built an ignition system that varied the spark duration based off of the resistance measured at the spark plug. And he built a system that used lasers instead of standard spark plugs, but he never sold that system commercially.

Anyway, Jacobs claimed that the best oe factory ignition would only ignite the cylinder/mixture about 60% of the time while a really good aftermarket system will light things off about 80-85% of the time which says a potential 20% increase in power,,, possibly, maybe !

So during that time I ran my Hotrod & my 76 Wing on my old Sun machine and sure enough the spark energy really dropped off with rpm (less time to fill the coils) but the actual air/fuel mixture numbers actually got better which goes to Jacobs claim that with rpm the mixture is highly homogenized (mixed) to the point that very little spark is needed to light it off. This is also when preignition becomes a problem.

So anyway, I am a believer in better aftermarket coils and hopefully may give some insight or amusement on all this !
Last edited by redglbx on Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
theailer
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by theailer »

What about this? It is red after all ;)
Been eyeing it for some time but for some reason I haven't clicked one home yet.

https://mmgracingstore.com/en/spark-plu ... cable.html
skydog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by skydog »

For you guys in the midwest with Fleet-Farm stores . Stopped in there today ,had all the NGK caps clearanced out for 99 cents .Not many left here.
75 naked "Blue Streak" gone
78 fairing bags "Brownie" 4 sale
80 standard project 4 sale
84 Standard, Vetter bags "Horse with no name"
85 Interstate gone
84 aspy
86 aspy
"When the day comes to settle down,who's to blame if you're not around?You took the long way home"

Return to “GoldWing Tech Discussions”