About to buy a CX500

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

groupus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

About to buy a CX500

Post by groupus »

A 1981 cx500 recently came up on the local craigslist so I went to have a look. I'm hoping that it will be a somewhat easy project to play with and maybe flip or keep. Purely an impulse buy, as I do not need another bike (but who does :lol: ). I went to look at it today and it seems to be in fair condition. The guy mentioned that a shop had tested the compression and it was not what he wanted in one cylinder, but he didn't know what it was specifically. It seemed to fire up ok with some gas in the tank and ran well enough but was spewing gas out of a vent tube that I think was connected to the petcock. There are other little things that concerned me like the battery charged, but only over 2500+ rpm. Also, there was oil in the air box, the left muffler was cracked and it was just a little rough all over. Anyway, I'm not sure of what is normal or acceptable with these bikes. I'm fairly confident that I can get it into good running order, just not sure how much in needs. It has been listed for a while and he dropped the price by half when we met up. I showed up on my 78 GL1000 and we got to talking about that and his GL1200 project, which is why he needs the garage space.

I appreciate any input or if anyone wants to try to talk me out of it. I'm fairly certain that I am going to try to purchase this, that's how MBS works :crosso
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

every now and then, when things are not going to well in the shop, i ask myself why i do it. and the answer is that riding is good....but time in the shop is also good. - CYBORG

78 gl1000 cafe build: http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51461

79 full fairing - current status: Haunted http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60334
HotFoot
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: About to buy a CX500

Post by HotFoot »

May I ask what the purchase price is? And what is the exact model? Can you link to the CList ad? (don't worry I won't be buying it, already have two)

Some things to consider for right away:

Rebuild carbs, tires, brakes maybe a stator and/or regulator. Etc, etc.....

It adds up VERY quickly. Even assuming that you will/can do all the work. Nice bikes when they are up to snuff.

Hoppy
'81 Honda GL1100 Std
'80 Honda CX500D
'79 CX500C (Stagnant Project)
Ever Growing SHOP (Shameful Hoard Of Parts)
The Past: Triumph, Norton, BSA, Honda, HD, Kawasaki
FADM Stern GNSF
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by FADM Stern GNSF »

Have a 82 CX500C which is all I ride (untill I get get this Gl1000 projects done) and I love it. Kind of opposite sides of a coin, I got the GL1000 as a project bike and once its done will see if I prefer it to the CX, which I really love.

If you do get it (depending on the price and year/model I would) and need any help, the CX/GL forum is the best one I have ever found, great people, lots af info

http://cx500forum.com/
1979 GL1000
1982 CX500C
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

My project 76 gl 1000, is costing a bunch in used parts and whatnot. So the 200 dollar
price was very helpful. So I recommend doing your best on price. For sure
Those cx 500 and 650 are cool as heck.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
HotFoot
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HotFoot »

I think the subject bike is on the Lancaster, PA Craigslist, Search "Honda CX500" (Lancaster City). Copper/Gold valve covers and heat shields, wrapped pipes. Windjammer. It's a CX500D by the tank/seat etc.

I'll bet "groupus" is out getting it as this is written action1. If the needed funds are available and the will and skill to wrench it properly is there it will be a fun project. Hope it works out well!

Hoppy
'81 Honda GL1100 Std
'80 Honda CX500D
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

cx500 low compression $500.oo run don't walk.......jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
groupus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by groupus »

Here's the ad, and yes it is a 81 cx500 Delux from what I can tell: https://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/5019211883.html.

I've always kinda liked these bikes because of their oddball engine layout. He said he'll take $400, which is what I consider to be good for any running, rideable bike. I got my goldwing for that, but I have 4 or 5 times that in it now. I've done ALL of the work on it, including the electronics - coils, stator, reg/rectifier, ignition - as well as paint, valve replacement (sabrecycle belts crying1 ), and I learned to mount my own tires. It has never been to a shop. I don't plan on putting nearly amount of effort into the CX as I did making the goldwing perfect, but mechanical costs will be a consideration. I already figure it needs a carb rebuild and petcock. If needed, a stator replacement would be cake on this compared to the goldwing. I've already been over to http://cx500forum.com and the stator/ignition seems to be a common issue.

I'm going to the bank now to get the cash and I'll be meeting with the owner sometime after 6pm, so I guess I'm fairly committed (or I should be committed lol2004). BTW, JBz did you mean run away or run towards? :lol:
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

every now and then, when things are not going to well in the shop, i ask myself why i do it. and the answer is that riding is good....but time in the shop is also good. - CYBORG

79 full fairing - current status: Haunted http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60334
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

STOP You are running the wrong way :lol: Good Luck with it though. Im needin a good runnin cx 650 Gl650 engine. I bought mine RAN WHEN PARKED so I didn't expect much and didn't get much .........jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
groupus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by groupus »

Well here it is!
IMG_20150616_191816_124.jpg
IMG_20150616_191816_124.jpg (44.42 KiB) Viewed 331 times
IMG_20150616_191751_565.jpg
IMG_20150616_191751_565.jpg (60.95 KiB) Viewed 331 times
It's actually pretty clean, just needs a good wash and polish. The Purple Rain fairing was the first thing to go! action1 I already determined that the stator is working as it should with good AC voltage and no continuity to ground. The bike ran better with the stator disconnected from the regulator, so I'm pretty sure that's where to start. Anyway, should be a fun project.

Paul Narramore
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Paul Narramore »

It's unbelievable you can buy a bike as good as that for so little money. I once owned a CX500, a really great bike. I was reading an old magazine article on them recently when the writer perpetuated the myth that they were ugly bikes. Maybe it's me but I think they look great especially the Metallic Red ones.
Present bikes -

BMW R100/7
1989 BMW R100GS-Paris Dakar
MZ ETZ250 Trials
1977 Honda GL1000 GoldWing
ianstaley
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ianstaley »

I like them, I never thought they were ugly just different, so if they are ugly then so is every Guzzi ever made. Never owned one so can't comment on power speed etc. I would wouldn't mind one as a project bike after the GL is done. My daughter wants a bike 2nd 3rd youth ????? and I think one of these would make a great bobber, she is quite small so could easily be dropped a bit without scraping the heads along the ground. Quirky for a Honda but I understand very reliable.
HotFoot
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HotFoot »

A thousand cheers!

As one of your first tasks DO CHECK the thirty-some year old 3-wire connector coming from the alternator/stator for condition and security. Like on Gwings. And, if your '81 has the manual cam chain tensioner adjust it. No need for me to go on with other things as you obviously have a handle on what needs to be done and are mining the cx500 forum.

Hoppy
'81 Honda GL1100 Std
'80 Honda CX500D
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

loved our cx500c
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The "ugly" thing came from the plastic nacelle on the original model, which also got it the name "plastic maggot". Yours didn't come with that.

The Stator problems these bikes are known for have nothing to do with the charging system. Until '81 (I think) they had a CDI ignition powered & triggered by extra coils on the stator, and they are the ones that cause problems. They are no more charging coil failure prone than any other bike ('Wings included).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

yes they did have problems, but I still loved our cx500c
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS