77 gl1000 issues

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Apatton
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

77 gl1000 issues

Post by Apatton »

Took my gl1000 for a ride yesterday, after all warmed up bike decided to stop idling, have poor take off and keep dying.

Fiddled with carbs (cleaned month ago, new clear lines and filter) BUT bike restarted easy and would idle 10-30 seconds and re-die. My reg/rec is hot, but bike is charging ~14.5volts, also lost my headlight (reserve lighting unit still in tact)

Also note, if I tapped the starter button bike would run a little better BUT when I bypassed the ballast resistor it would still die at idle even with 12volts at the coil
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/w ... ter?page=1

Re: 77 gl1000 issues

Post by NCScooter »

Are you still running points or a Dyna system? Checked the timing? There was a similar problem on here last month, I think. Start w/o choke? May be getting too rich. Or fuel pump issue. Or gas cap plugged.
I need to remember to keep my expectations tiny so I don't end up so whiny.
1976 CB400f
Image 1977 GL1000-The Breeze
I'm so special, my short bus only has two wheels!
Apatton
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Apatton »

Starting without choke, still have points.

Just threw this engine together last year, so timing should be okay but will double check when I get the time
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Sounds like fuel issue. Verify that the bowls fill. Fuel filter blockage? Fuel pump pumping? How does the inside of the fuel tank look?
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
Apatton
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Apatton »

Cleaned the tank when the engine was out, vinegar then phosphoric acid wash. Can Run the bike out in gear to redline. Can watch the pump pumping fluid thru the clear lines (has to be if I can ride it fine.)
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/w ... ter?page=1

Post by NCScooter »

Oh. Something wrong with 1 or more of your idle circuits. Probably. I'll let a guru take over. Check out Randakk's blog on his page. Hit the banner above, the blog links are at the bottom of that page. Mike Nixon has a lot of great info on his site as well. I'll chime back in if the conversation comes back to my level.
I need to remember to keep my expectations tiny so I don't end up so whiny.
1976 CB400f
Image 1977 GL1000-The Breeze
I'm so special, my short bus only has two wheels!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Pull the air filter lid and see if the plenum floor is wet. May be flooding the carbs. It will run to red line in gear because you are using the fuel. But at idle it doesn't use as much. Start with the easy stuff when diagnosing issues.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Apatton
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Apatton »

Already checked that Robin, put new fuel seals in when the carbs were done. I'm gonna pull the cap off and see about cleaning it (these vent thru the cap correct?) or just running minus the cap for now.

Still concerned with the reg/rec plug being hot (the 6 or 8 wire one NOT the deleted 3 stator wire one) the two wire connector by the battery was hot also, so that got deleted on sat (red and red/white that goes to battery, one side has 20 or 30 amp blade fuse on it)

I'm usually working on other folk's stuff and not mine, have a gs1000 and 900ltd that are getting the majority of my attention time