Harbor Freight - Love it or Hate it

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Harbor Freight - Love it or Hate it

Post by desertrefugee »

Not looking to start a cheap import flame war, but I'd bet that each of us has patronized our local Harbor Freight at least once. To me, it is hard to ignore the prices on some of the things they carry - stuff that you might not otherwise purchase at "regular" prices.

This weekend, they are having a "Blowout Sale".

They're not kidding. I have been eyeballing their motorcycle lift table for several years. I even knew that they'd changed the "safety bar" after a few of them actually bowed on some folks with fat bikes. Like, maybe, a dressed Goldwing.

Anyway, these used to be $599 and then went to $499 and have stayed there. But, this weekend, the units are $295. That, boys and girls, was too low for me to ignore any longer:
Attachments
Lift Table.jpg
Lift Table.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 409 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Harbor Freight - Love it or Hate it

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Nice. I've been looking at some of their lifts, just for fun, but nothing has been a good enough deal for me to pull the trigger yet.

My opinion? You get what you pay for. I got an engine lift from them, and while it will work fine for what I'm using it for, I can also tell it's not a heavy-duty professional model. I think most of the hate comes from those who feel that "if you want to do a job, you do it right the first time", rather than just the occasional use Harbor Freight caters to. (My dad's a mechanic and that's exactly how he feel about that place)

If I'd do anything on my lift, I'll probably swap out all the bolts with Grade 8 at some point, and replace the chain and hook with one a little larger. Still, my 1 ton lift hoisted my 250 pound (about-ish) KZ1300 motor like it was nothing, so I can't complain.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Try a search here. One of our members bought one a couple years ago and had some serious safety issues. As I recall he fought with the Company and they sent him some parts to make it better and were working an upgrade for their production line.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
hacksaw1945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hacksaw1945 »

I also have a Harbor Freight bike lift like your's, and I also bought the front wheel stand chock, with I-bolts on the end and I use ratchet tie-downs. I feel good about the product and did have doubts at first, and friend of mine had one he was happy and that is what sold me, P.S. My son-n-law calls the place China Freight. :lol:
1977 Honda GL 1000, 1982 Honda GL 1100I went naked, 1976 Honda LTD rough long range project, 1945 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief, 1948 Indian Chief, 1958 Cushman Highlander, 1959 Cushman 3 wheel Mailister, 1966 Triumph TR6,
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Whiskerfish wrote:Try a search here. One of our members bought one a couple years ago and had some serious safety issues. As I recall he fought with the Company and they sent him some parts to make it better and were working an upgrade for their production line.
I did a significant amount of reading before buying this lift. I've almost pulled the trigger several times in the past and finally did. I believe the safety issue you're referring to was the lock bar on an earlier version would "bow" when supporting the weight of a heavy bike. Gave some folks pause, but I'm not sure a bowing piece of 7/8" steel (Chinese or not) is an automatic indictment of the lift. Even so, I found that the bar has been upgraded to a higher grade. It also sports the full "C" section lower frame rails. I haven't put the Aspencade on there yet, but I believe this table to be a solid unit for the "casual" user - and certainly worth the money. Many of the more expensive models (much more expensive) are also made in China.

If I had to shell out $1000+ for a lift, I would not own one. If my $300 dollar table collapses, I will be sure and report it here.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Lucien Harpress wrote:
My opinion? You get what you pay for.
That is exactly right, always try to buy the best I can afford.

As my CB1300 didn't have a centre stand I bought an ABBA stand - http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail. ... tand&pid=1

Cost around £90, but that was about £50 cheaper than buying a centre stand and associated parts! (If I'd bought it in Brazil, it would have had one fitted!)

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
Apatton
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Apatton »

Every big brand tool manufacturer has some stuff made in china; snap-on mac and matco have tons of chinese made tools in their line ups, welders, jacks engine hoists, are some of the chinesenofferings they provide. I used to bust out the mac and snap-on guys for their "american made" sales pitch when they slung their wares at the shop i worked at; dont get me wrong, much of their HAND tools are american made. Their Ingersoll Rand rebranded air tools? Uhhh, Ingersol manufactures in China, says it on the guns. Hell craftsman just made the switch to China made not too long ago.

And BTW, we used an older MAC engine hoist (USA) that sucked! Was properly maintained and had the cylinder reconditioned by mac. My harborfreight engine hoist works better than I remember that one ever working. So, it all depends really, if you look at something thinking it will break, it probably will.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I get all the Harbor Freight flyers in the mail, and they opened one just down the street from me. And I find it hard to drive by without stopping to see what the latest prices are on stuff. Seems they change every day or so. You have to be a wise shopper and evaluate the prices/quality to meet your own needs. The one near me has become a sorta hangout/meeting place for the senior generation of men, who are more then willing to share their experiences with different products. Its a fun place to go. I think the $300 price on the lift is a value. If I had the space I would get one, cause I don't think I could build one for that. Mostly I buy consumables. Tye raps, rags, paint brushes, etc., and find the prices better then anyone else nearby. And I don't really care where they are made......we live in a global community.....get used to it
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

First sentence in desertrefugees original post, "Not looking to start a cheap import flame war".

Let's keep it that way.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Difficult sometimes to find the line between what I can afford and what I want. Wish I had a Harbor Freight closer to me. For me it's the tractor and farm stores to shop around in.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I've always enjoyed poking around in a Tractor supply store as well
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
miltoncaniff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by miltoncaniff »

Brant wrote:Difficult sometimes to find the line between what I can afford and what I want. Wish I had a Harbor Freight closer to me. For me it's the tractor and farm stores to shop around in.
Not to promote a sale for HF, but no matter what I have bought from them, shipping has always been cheap. You don't have to be near one. If you wonder how good a tool is, ask if someone else has bought one. The comments on each tool is usually pretty truthful online.

I have the lift but bought it used for $100. Pretty hard to pass up! Works good. With a Wing or a Harley, I would suggest putting anchors in the floor and strapping the bike to them when the lift is fully up.

John
1977 GL1000/1976 GL1000
1975 GL1000/1975 GL1000 (Parts Bike)
2002 FLHRCI/1993 ZR750C3 Zephyr
1982 GS750EZ/1978 GS550
1978 KZ1000A2/1978 KZ1000A2 (frame only)
1980 KZ650F1/1979 KZ650B3
1979 KZ650C3/1981 KZ550A1
1977 KZ400A1 Deluxe/1979 KZ400B2
1982 KZ250D2/1980 KZ750E w/parts bike

This is not MY circus and You are not my monkeys!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

CYBORG wrote:I've always enjoyed poking around in a Tractor supply store as well

I have a TSC (Tractor Supply) and also a Rural King both in my town. They have both gotten some of my money. ;)
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Neil

Post by Neil »

I've purchased quite a few tools from Harbor Freight and a few have broken or bent but overall have had success with them. Love all the consumables they have and can't beat the prices. When my boys (4 of them) were old enough to be on their own I used HF tool boxes & tools and filled them with enough to get started with.
Where I live we have a HF, Tractor supply, Ollie's Bargain Outlet, and all the other usual suspects. Just recently my one son got into wood working and when he came to visit we went to HF and picked up a router, bits, palm sander, sand paper, etc., for his birthday. Unless you operate a professional business the HF tools work pretty well. Late last year I had to replace my hand grinder and I went to HF and got one almost identical to the one I originally purchased from them over 20 years ago so I'd say for the average home owner/home mechanic HF works pretty well.