Wog's '84 Standard restoration

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Wog's '84 Standard restoration

Post by ericheath »

Me too, but then it was at least 35 years before I tried again.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I was 10 years old at the time. Curious kid. I wanted to see how it worked. Took it apart and got it back together and it still ran. :orange

To this day my dad doesn't know about that.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

about two years before I was under the hood of a chevy..... I told you he is old!

I was now doubt part ADHD, better at taking things apart, and forgetting to put them back together lolol .... but after 5 years I did finish the 79 resto
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools."
Some might remember that line!

Well, my Dad was a TV repairman, and I too was one of those young-ens that took perfectly working bikes apart just to see what's inside and they actually worked again.
Didn't have any $, so of course, reused the gaskets, O-rings, etc. :IDTS:

Also had a pile of old junk TVs, radios, circuit boards, that I would spend hours cutting the components apart.
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

My dad was a dentist, and as far as I know, knew nothing about cars, and passed that knowledge onto me. :IDTS: My first motorised transport was a Honda Graduate moped that I inherited from my sister (2 years older), and as far as I know, never had an oil change or a service, we just put petrol in it and it lasted all week. 30 pence or so for 2/3 of a gallon. When I got my first car, a Simca 1100, I just drove it until the head cracked when the water froze! Didn't know about anti freeze! :oops: It was only when I asked my mates that I started to see that most jobs were relatively simple, and I picked up bits and pieces over the years. Even now, after 12 years in the RAF and 24 years in the fire service, I feel confident in tackling most things. I do know I can't lay bricks, maybe ok for a bar-b-q, can't plaster a wall, and obviously anything to do with gas needs someone qualified.
Maybe that's why my GL is still off the road, apart from a lack of cash, but looking at maybe May/June before you will hear a bigger cheer than when I got the thing to start!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

funny you mention the bricks, when I talk with med students I often ask, "Have you ever watched a brick layer at work?" I then tell them, brick layers look like the most uneducated people around, but I have watched them brick up a wall and get to the top and it all works... I cannot lay bricks (well, I can but it looks like s......)
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

Back to working on this one.

Wanted to replace the terribly welded removable frame section.
I had an extra one and cleaned it up only to find it won't fit!

All years and models part number seem to be the same, 50150-MG9-951, and surprisingly, still available as a new part.
removable frame section 001.jpg
removable frame section 001.jpg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Even made up a couple wedges I tried to force into the rear (nut) side to line things up to slide the bolt through.
removable frame section 002.jpg
removable frame section 002.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Measured them.
removable frame section 003.jpg
removable frame section 003.jpg (124.11 KiB) Viewed 203 times
removable frame section 004.jpg
removable frame section 004.jpg (120.02 KiB) Viewed 203 times
There's a .050" difference! :evil:

Guess I'll try to "almost" remove the engine and with a jack, maybe force it into place.
Bumper
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Bumper »

As I said in the introduction section I bought my 84 standard new in 1985. I sold it but got it back recently. Unfortunately it spent most of its life in a garage. Anyway, when I bought it in Chandler Arizona it did not have crash bars. I added them later.

I got it running before I found this forum so no pictures. I cleaned up the carbs, new belts, boiled the rust out of the gas tank, changed the oil/filter. checked out the water pump, brake/clutch fluid. etc.

I also had trouble with a stuck clutch. Found out when I got it running and pop'd it in first. It jumped and stalled, however it was free the next time. It did it again(to a lesser degree) a couple times but it is working fine now.

The choke is also very stiff. It was frozen before I cleaned the carbs up. I guess I didn't do such a great job. It works well enough that the bike starts easily. On the other hand the bike runs great even though I'm not a mechanic. Haven't even sync'd them yet.
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

Hey Bumper!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking on the crash bars. Looks like Honda add-ons. I'm keeping them on for now.

On the choke,
After making sure all four of the "starter valve sets" were moving easily, I still had a very stiff "choke".
I lubed the cable and it seemed to be fine when not installed on the bike.
Ended up just getting a new (aftermarket) one and it works perfectly now.
My guess was the old one was binding somewhere in a bend.
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

The twins reunited.
both 84s in shop.jpg
both 84s in shop.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 174 times
First time since birth in Marysville, Ohio 1984.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I've got a sibling .....

Gord (a long lost Sister) Jones action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

wog wrote:Hey Bumper!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking on the crash bars. Looks like Honda add-ons. I'm keeping them on for now.

On the choke,
After making sure all four of the "starter valve sets" were moving easily, I still had a very stiff "choke".
I lubed the cable and it seemed to be fine when not installed on the bike.
Ended up just getting a new (aftermarket) one and it works perfectly now.
My guess was the old one was binding somewhere in a bend.
I believe the 84 standard has a hydraulic clutch like all the 1200's. I would rebuild the master and replace the hoses
-Rodger-
Bumper
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Bumper »

THX for the advise. I never thought of the choke cable. I will check that. The clutch is hydraulic. I changed the fluid in it, maybe didn't get it bled perfectly. I'll try again. If that doesn't work I'll tackel the rebuild.

The twins look so good together. Makes me want anouther one. But I'm not likely to be so lucky the next time. Like I said I'm not a mechanic. If I did find one I wouldn't have any luck left anyway.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I did have a time when our 1200, after running for a while, would have the clutch disengage. I bled it several times, to no avail. Then I decided to poke a pin into the spooge hole.... word of advice, wear safety glasses. The problem was to hole was blocked. As the bike would warm, the heated fluid would expand, and eventually the back pressure would disengage the clutch
-Rodger-
Bumper
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Bumper »

In my case the cluch didn't disingage. I'll check anyway when I bleed the clutch again. THX