My two cents worth on carb problems.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: My two cents worth on carb problems.

Post by rcmatt007 »

I certainly am now confounded :twisted:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
morganfrmn
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2743

Post by morganfrmn »

I dont mean to confound you, Charles Clark of that club in ohio, told me I ought to get me
a set of 1100 carbs. So I did. But I did put a year or so of struggle into the old ones though.

But I will sit this 77 beside anyones and you will see it starts before the button is all the way down.

My new royal star does not start as well..
Click here and you can see my motorcycle

(http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2743)

(http://www.facebook.com/morganfrmn)
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

morganfrmn wrote:She starts before the button is fully pressed in.
Morgan, that would be a good subject for a video.

hoganJr
1991 GL1500
Jebjardine
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Jebjardine »

I have a 1976 GL1000 with 25k miles on it. The previous owner was a Honda mechanic and went through it new everything. Very original. All red dots in place. He rebuilt the carbs and synced them but it does not run well. I can drive it. Poor gas mileage (29 MPG) Sounds like It may be time for GL1100 carbs. Any suggestions?
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

You know this thread is like 13 years old?

I know half a dozen "Honda Mechanics" that have never successfully rebuilt a set of early Wing carbs. At the local Dealership there is one broken down old cranky guy that does all the work on the early bikes. You start talking about a 1000 and the other mechanics immediately point to his corner. Honda just does not teach this stuff anymore. If you are certain you have eliminated all the other possibilities then I would remove the Carbs and send them to Robin1731 Then you will know they are right.

1100 carbs are a panacea just like the singles carbs. You have to go out and find a set of 1100 carbs buy them, then pay to have them rebuilt. And your bike will never run to it's full potential.

Fix the ones that came on the bike for your bike to run it's best

My 2 cents worth
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I agree
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Whisker (Steve) spot on 👍 !

I don’t know why people think that 1100 carbs are better than the 1000’s , they are essentially the same with 2 exceptions , the accelerator pump and a smaller throat diameter which compromises the performance with less top end.

I have 1100 carbs on my 76 BUT I will add that I have untold hours (lots of machining & jetting) in them to get them to outperform the oe carbs. Randakk has always claimed that it’s extremely hard to beat a well setup set of 1000 carbs, and while Randall & I have disagreed on several things over the years he is spot-on on this.

Send your carbs to Robin and have them properly rebuilt and there is a number of what I would call GL carb experts here like LuckyEddie you can contact to rebuild your carbs.

But you have to make sure that the other things are right and use only oe Honda float valves and jetting! The cheap Chinese shite on eBay will only cause you problems. And finally you MUST sync your carbs on your bike after setting the valve clearances ,, no exceptions.

The poor gas mileage is a clue here where either the Chinese shite was used or someone was happy with a drill in the jets. Mid 30’s to mid 40mpg seems to be the “normal” range on these.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que