Painting for dumbies....

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Painting for dumbies....

Post by rcmatt007 »

I am having to edit this complete thread 8/3/17 as photobucket has messed with downloading pictures. so please forgive if any are out of order
questions of come up from time to time about painting and I know the thought of doing it causes some folks to run and hide
painting9.JPG
painting9.JPG (51.87 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
so I thought I would do a basic course and probably make all the mistakes along the way

first of all: GET A RESPIRATOR; an adequate compressor (5hp); the more expensive the gun... the better, oh and btw get a respirator
Last edited by rcmatt007 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

remember.... preperation is 99% of a good job (laying the paint is the second 99%) anything you can see in the primer WILL show in the final coat.... so get it right from the beginning.... also, you might find some interesting things in the "orignal" honda paint....

here is a radiator fin... it was 78-9 burgendy on the outside black on the inside, and look what was under it all, but an early "blue" color
painting1.JPG
painting1.JPG (8.52 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
here is some "seams" that show in the metal tank work outlined in red
painting3.JPG
painting3.JPG (34.36 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
and again (these really showed through) at the far end you can see the nipple connection.... I smoothed around it with bondo so it would not look like a welded on piece
painting5.JPG
painting5.JPG (9.41 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
also you can see where I used bond (circled in green) to smooth things out
painting8.JPG
painting8.JPG (52.32 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
here you can see some rust pitting (showed through the primer) which I then corrected with some more plastic filler -- you must removeALL THE RUST.... if you paint over it... it will rust through... this was sand blasted to get it off
painting2.JPG
painting2.JPG (6.02 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
not all these showed up.... but several did.... fix them now or look at them forever
Last edited by rcmatt007 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I might add... it all depends on where defects are... while the wrinkles along the bottom do show somewhat, they are a place not really visible, while the wrinkles along the top certainly are... also, I wanted the place for the gas cap to be smooth. Some of these will work out with a sandable prime... the primer allowing you to feather the edges.

For the main primer I have elected to go with a two-part epoxy primer for the durability. Sunday afternoon was a nice warm day (80f) so I set up the garage and painted.... I think I started this all with the comment I would have some great mistakes to show... and now I do.... pictures to follow
Last edited by rcmatt007 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

echo
-Rodger-
PJMehaffey
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by PJMehaffey »

keep it coming...

Patrick
Always ready to Ride!

1984 GL1200I 1978 CB750K (project) 1977 CB750A (project)

[url=http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/pjmehaffey/GL1200/][u]My Album[/u][/url]
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

okay.... now to the primer coat... you can see my method of "hanging the parts" is high tech.... the green hose was used to wet down the floor and theredy reduce dust... I also have a back garage door which allowed for flow-through ventilation
painting13.JPG
painting13.JPG (24.61 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
painting12.JPG
painting12.JPG (17.48 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

now what can possibly go wrong.... let me count the ways...

remember that honda piece with at least two colors... I had even put an earlier laquer based sandable primer with no problem... but instead the epoxy primer "lifted" an earlier coat.... so I either sand it again below that coat, or (since it is a small piece) use a paint stripper
painting11.JPG
painting11.JPG (38.13 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
AND I thought it was such a nice day to paint... forgetting that the humidty was high as well! two things dramatically affect a paints ability to "flash" and set... too low a temp OR too high a humidity... it didn't help it has been along time since I have used an epoxy primer and it lays differently than a laquer based primer... and maybe, just maybe it is time to replace my 20+ year old gun. Aren't the sags in this paint wonderful!
painting10.JPG
painting10.JPG (23.12 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
so it is back to sanding for me :evil:
-Rodger-
PJMehaffey
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by PJMehaffey »

ouch sorry to hear that...

I am learning from your experiences (mistakes :roll: ) though.

Patrick
Always ready to Ride!

1984 GL1200I 1978 CB750K (project) 1977 CB750A (project)

[url=http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/pjmehaffey/GL1200/][u]My Album[/u][/url]
ElPiloto
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by ElPiloto »

When you squirt the floors to get them wet to hold the dust down, don't leave standing puddles of water. Squirt the floor then use a mop to remove the water that hasn't soaked in.

Many epoxy primers allow you to thin the primer and use it as a sealer. If not, go to your auto paint store and get some sealer. It usually comes ready to spray and then you paint right after it flashes.

Don't be discouraged. Now you know why many painters have a drinking problem. :-D
"Some Cats Got it, Some Cats Ain't"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the biggest frustrations is that it is usually a couple of years between painting projects... and I forget enough to then make the same mistakes ove and over

commitments the next couple of weekends, so.....

to be continued......
-Rodger-
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

How about flying out Roger...I've got a job 1/4 done I could use your help on.
Actually this is a bike that will be donated to a museum and I may be able to rough out the bodywork and get a paint job donated.
I swear I have made every possible error with body work and paint and I still find ways to make new ones each time. Did I remind you that you should not use paint stripper wearing flip flops and shorts?
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
ElPiloto
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by ElPiloto »

Did you get acetone in your eyes? That's one you won't forget. :-D
"Some Cats Got it, Some Cats Ain't"
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

No but I did put thinner in a Styrofoam cup. That works good doesn't it?
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

used stripper on that metal peice, but there is always some residual goooo, so will sand blast it as well..... stripper has methylene cholride--the can warns CANNOT BE MADE NON-POISONNESS gloves and eye protection for sure!
I thought I might get back to this this week... except my riding mower will not start.... urrrgggghhh have spark... fuel at the carb... and no-go :evil:
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

sometimes you wish the fleabay parts you buy could tell their real story.... recall the radiator fin that had the paint lift... under the burgendy was an early blue... stripper was applied and now almost all the paint is off... underneath I found a repair. So did some PO pick up a blue fin and have it matched to a later wing?

many custom painters will sand blast or strip all parts for this very reason... you never know what is underneath and how it will react when you paint it. the bluish white area to the left was a plastic filler repair under it all.
painting14.JPG
painting14.JPG (26.78 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
-Rodger-