1980 KZ1300 - Bad Day at the Office

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

eades473
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: 1980 KZ1300 - Bike's Haunted

Post by eades473 »

In light of all the problems you are having I'm glad my 1984 1300 was fuel injected. Never had a problem running, pulled like a freight train and just kept going, Got the worst speeding ticket of my life (138 and still accelerating the officer said) on it. Too bad the PO had crashed all the plastics and replacements were impossible for me to find or I still might be riding it. Sent it on to its new owner with a lot of sellers remorse.
riding the **** out of it!
1977 Naked
2012 Ultra Classic Limited
1999 Valkyrie
1981 Shovelhead springer
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1980 KZ1300 - Bad Day at the Office

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Long time no update, and sadly it's nothing positive (although it's not as bad now as it was a couple days ago). I'm well aware I've been neglecting this bike, and now that I've got a bit of time between projects (CB750 is nearly done, and I can't do anything with Honda Dream paint until spring) I decided to roll up my sleeves and get back to the big six. I pulled the carbs (they were glued up with varnish, completely my fault), and decided to wipe the dust off.

Everything was fine until I got to the right muffler. That one always had a tiny spot of rust, but it was only about 1/8" around, and the exhaust was otherwise pristine. It's not a great feeling when you start wiping things down and chrome starts flaking off. :(

So yeah. Not the way I wanted to come back to a project. "Thankfully" Busso out of Italy makes replicas that are available, which I reluctantly grabbed a pair of yesterday. They are quite expensive, but also currently on sale, so if I waited eventually they would've gone from "expensive" to "unobtainable". Losing the stock exhaust also hurts from an accuracy perspective, but there's more chrome on both pipes getting a big wiggly, so they'd probably need replacing eventually anyway.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 1980 KZ1300 - Bad Day at the Office

Post by Jonesz »

I have a feeling that you will never regret buying those replicas. Really like your KZ
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold