1980 KZ1300 - Bad Day at the Office

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: 1980 KZ1300 "Kiwi"- Finished (For Real This Time)

Post by desertrefugee »

Yes!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

450 miles in, and a couple of small points:

--There was a bit of shuddering on clutch release when revs were low. Not surprising, as the clutch plates were initially frozen and I didn't do much other than pry them apart. Happily, after a bit of riding/thrashing, it seems to be smoothing out.

--Upside? This bike goes from sounding "good" to sounding "absolutely GNARLY" at about 6,000 rpm. Downside? Redline is 8,000 (despite the gauge going up to 11,000, for whatever reason). Result? There's a fine line between "weeeee!" and lots of money turning into small shards of metal.

But the worst thing?

--You know those annoying guys that seem to rev whenever they're standing still? Stop lights, stop signs, etc.? This bike has TURNED ME INTO ONE OF THOSE GUYS.

I'm not proud of it either.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

CBX redline is at 9500, but that's actually more of a "suggestion" than an absolute. Piston speed at that RPM is still well under the generally accepted 3500 ft/min rule of thumb recommendation for cast pistons. Still gives a little more room before becoming a concern - but the torque curve has already fallen off. The only reason to spin up there is because of the song. It corrupts men's brains.

I've missed a couple of shifts on mine and seen the tach well north of 10k... :shock:

Hasn't broken yet . . . but I don't plan on making a habit of it.

Glad your six is on the road before Summer runs out. You sure paid your dues on it.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1980 KZ1300 "Kiwi"- Some Fall Freshening Up

From the way the weather looks, I don't have many riding days left before things get too cold. So, after several good runs and probably about 1000 miles of road time, I figured it was time to garage the big 1300 up for a bit and try to iron out a few of the outstanding annoyances.

-Front Brakes: While they work, I STILL feel like there's a bit of air trapped in the lines someplace. The plan is to take care of that, and replace the bleed screws with speed bleeders while I'm in there.

-Tachometer: Recently the tachometer starting acting like it was going bad- needle wobble, intermittent failures, etc. I pulled and lubed the tach gauge itself, and while it helped, it didn't cure it completely. I've got a new tach cable coming in case that's the problem, and if not I DO have a replacement tach on the pile if I need to refirb that.

-Third Cylinder: I'm still chasing a persistent occasional misfire on cylinder 3. While clogged idle fuel passages are the usual culprit, the richer-than-all-the-others plug lead me to think it's an air delivery issue. I've got the carbs pulled and disassembled, and I MAY have found a clog in the air passage between the air cutoff valve and the rest of the system. It's hard to tell, because for each inlet to the system there's about 3 or 4 outlets to plug, just to be sure that particular passage is plugged. I"ll need to jerry-rig something to plug the extra holes before I'm sure.

Absolute worst-case scenario is that (for whatever reason) that particular carb body is just worn out and needs replaced. Replacements ARE available, but they're a bit pricey and a bit of a craps shoot with what you get.

But who knows. I've got an entire winter to find out.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Sure glad you got this one rolling. You have too much time and effort invested in it to not get some enjoyment out of it. I am hoping to have my Kawasaki 6 roadworthy before the end of the riding season here… which has really just begun.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

In truth, despite having them off a couple times I haven't really deep-dived into carbs, mostly because I haven't needed to. As it stands, 5 parts of them work flawlessly, and the 6th is very, very close. The biggest issues I can see is that a number of the idle passages (fuel and air both) are both rather small and rather circuitous. The good news is that the fuel passages are 100%

The air passages, however, are the big unknown. Each carb (set of two intakes) has its' own air cutoff valve, and all the associated passages are hard-drilled into the bodies. In addition, ALL of the air jets are either pressed or molded into the bodies when they were manufactured- you can't removed them, and (in the case of the jet coming off the air cutoff valve) buried deep in the carb. I'm hoping, HOPING that's my issue area.

Unrelated to the above, I also noticed that (at some point) one of the slide diaphragms got pinched by the carb top. It still functions, but thankfully replacement diaphragms are like 15 bucks (from the UK, shipping included), so I picked one up just in case. Also, at some point the PO replaced a bumper washer on the slides with some kind of.... gasket material. Good thing I popped this carb open, because that has since denigrated. Thankfully, I have a replacement for that as well.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

No diaphragms on my Kawi 6...

dancr
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Oh sure, rub it in. :IDTS:

As far as I can tell, I've got the cylinder 3 portion of the carb as clean as I possibly can. There was some crud in the base of the air cutoff valve that may have dropped into the air passages, but it should all be clear now. At the very least it feels identical to the air passage, so we'll see.

My current tach may just be going bad. Thankfully I do have a replacement. I just need to replace the needle, which is ordered and on its way. From Finland.

I've got a couple other parts coming in from overseas with an ETA of mid-November. I just have to put everything back together and I should be golden. And if not? I'm just going to have to replace the carb body.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

At least you can get parts for those carbs. Some of the bits for the DFI on the Voyager are darn near impossible to find. If you do they're well into three digits in cost.

Enjoy that Beast Lucien. I'm looking forward to taking the first putt on this thing of mine. I still have some major components to source, but I'm darn close to having it streetable. Paint will come later I think.
calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by calif wingnut »

Ebay owners manual sold for big bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KZ130 ... 3758928334?
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Oh, buddy! I HAVE been needing some tire money.... :lol: But in all seriousness, certain parts for these bikes are STUPID-expensive. Heck, I had to IMPORT a stock air filter because they are unavailable in the US and the K&N alternatives have some serious fit issues. $100 per blinker, $80 for a horn cover, $500 for a gas tank- there's a reason I don't keep track of what I've spent.

As far as parts for yours desertrefugee, not sure how many stock parts you NEED, but z1300.de is a fun place to browse when you've got some time. Not sure how much overlap they have with the Voyager parts, but it's probably the single best place for hard to find (K)Z1300 outside of getting lucky on eBay. I can't comment on pricing OR shipping costs, but not a bad last resort for that need-to-find part.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Believe it or not, as it stands right now I do not need any stock parts. (Knocks wood) However, I am still trying to source a tank that will fit this fat frame and an early KZ tail section. I believe the 80 to 83 kz550 tail might work with a little messaging.

Making a run to motorcycle Heaven tomorrow morning. Better known as Bob's Cycle Salvage in South Phoenix No words cannot describe it. I once had a thread on it going here I think. Bewildering array of parts to sift through. Nice way to spend my day off.

[Edit] Found it! [ viewtopic.php?t=51928 ]
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

While I got a replacement carb diaphragm coming, I'm thinking for now I'm just going to reuse the pinched diaphragm. I wasn't having ANY issues on that carb anyway, and I'm worried only replacing one diaphragm instead of all three as a set is going to throw something off.

If so, replacements are only like 13 bucks apiece and pulling the carbs on this bike is pretty much cake. I'm also curious to see if my ACTUAL problems have been fixed. Stay tuned!

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

How about a photograph or two of that rascal out in its native habitat (on the road) before you put it away for winter?
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

I'm going to do my best. In a STUNNING comedy of errors:

-I closed my carbs back up, ready to get them back on the bike, and noticed my fuel line was cracked REALLY bad.
-I picked up some replacement motorcycle-specific lines on my way home from work.
-HOWEVER, the OD of the new line is a bit smaller than the old line, so in getting the carbs from my barn to the garage, I managed to lose a fuel line clamp.
-No problem- for now I'll replace it with the clamp that goes from the tank into the filter. NOPE- that's gone too. Why? Reasons. Apparently. :IDTS:
-On top of this, I noticed the top of my rear master cylinder is seeping brake fluid from around the top, probably from the temperature changes. I ended up springing for a replacement lid system. As soon as I pay for it, I just have to wait for it to get here. From Germany.

So yeah. I'll do my best. ;) In the meantime, I DID end up getting two more replacement carb top diaphragms to complete the set. I figure it won't hurt to replace all three.

EDIT: Well, I must have done something right. I got the carbs back on and the IV tank hooked up, and while it started as easily as it ever has, it now idles at about....... 3500 RPM. While I haven't done enough to draw any other conclusions, at the very least my cleaning changed SOMETHING (and if my only issue is a carb sync, that's easy enough to fix. Well, more or less- the KZ1300 carb sync mechanism is a bit.... butt.)