The Old Man from Tuktoyaktuk gets the Last Laugh

A Place To Announce Run Flyers, Rallies, Web Links, Trips, Travel, Events and more.
Share your rides and events with other riders

Moderators: CYBORG, Rat, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: The Old Man from Tuktoyaktuk gets the Last Laugh

Post by rcmatt007 »

Doing the Al-Can highway was on our bucket list several years ago, just never could take the amount of time off. Still a thought, but not on a 40 y/o motorcycle
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Jekyll has a phrase that began with this trip and has stuck. Anytime something looks like it will fail, “that’s future Dave’s problem”...:)
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Jeckylll wrote:

The Key is to have good friends with you so if you piss them off or they upset you during the stressful moments you always know you will still be friends.

Then it's just another adventure in the path of life.

PS Credit card gets you out of most situations :)
I have great friends like that. (when I got married 30 years ago my best friend/ best man and I got in a fist fight at my bachelor party..
my mother thought that this was the end..he wasn't going to be my best man...had to call him with her on the other line so she would hear his reply to me telling him some bs thing as an excuse to call. :lol:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

HomeMadeSin wrote:Jekyll has a phrase that began with this trip and has stuck. Anytime something looks like it will fail, “that’s future Dave’s problem”...:)
HA ! I like it. My traveling buddies and my mantra is "Everything is gonna work out just fine, everything is gonna be ok."
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Ours is .... 'All part of the Adventure' ....

Gord crossy.gif
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

"I know I had that wrench just a second ago....."
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

RAT wrote:Ours is .... 'All part of the Adventure' ....

Gord crossy.gif

"I COULD EAT" lolol lolol lolol
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I'm just trying to figure out where the motivation comes from to ride to the ends of the earth on antique motorcycles never intended to navigate the rough conditions you find in the great white north.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Jeckylll
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Jeckylll »

Sagebrush wrote:I'm just trying to figure out where the motivation comes from to ride to the ends of the earth on antique motorcycles never intended to navigate the rough conditions you find in the great white north.
to be fair the roads in canada in 1975 were probably not a whole different then the roads up there now.

As for the "Adventurewings" these things have an awesome low center of gravity due to boxer engine and under seat tank that make them exceptional on gravel.

all of these bikes had updated ignitions some had updated stators and regulators. not much more except fuel is required to keep them turning.

finally "gitrdun" is also an apt adventurewing creed. fix what you can fix and if it rolls it goes. :)
Bikes, bikes and more bikes!
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

Roll on! I need to get all my brothers to read this before our next outing.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Sagebrush wrote:I'm just trying to figure out where the motivation comes from to ride to the ends of the earth on antique motorcycles never intended to navigate the rough conditions you find in the great white north.
With all due respect, If you don't know, I don't think it can be explained. :dragbike
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

B-I-N-G-O
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

With all due respect, If you don't know, I don't think it can be explained.
Well to be honest I think I do know, I just wanted to here it in his own words :-?
B-I-N-G-O
These weren't quite the words I was looking for. :-D

And mostly why the old wings instead of more suitable bikes. Not that I'm knocking the old wings as most of us know they are great bikes but there are much better suited bikes out there for the conditions these guys seem like to ride in.

And by the way I admire the tenacity of the riders and the report sharing the their ride with us and to be honest the only way I would (at my advanced age) make this journey would be in a 4 wheel drive jeep.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Honda is known for reliability. Parts are generally widely available. The bikes are fairly cheap and not high strung. Having all the guys riding the same bike makes for easier parts interchangeability.

Perhaps most importantly, the thread wouldn’t be a third as interesting if we were riding an assembly of BMW, KTM, Triumph, etc Adventure bikes.

Actually, when we started kicking these ideas around (with some alcoholic consumption involved), the initial requirement was pre 1970 bikes. I have limits and said I wasn’t interested. Hyde had a bone stock 1975 Wing and that was the start of it.

Further, the 2015 trip was supposed to include the Indy MotoGP (when it was still there) as well as Sturgis. The Goldwings generally get a pass at such an event since it was made in the US from 1980 onwards. We were hoping the chrome loving, knuckle dragging, loud-pipes-saves-lives crowd wouldn’t know that the 1st gen bikes were Japanese. Jeckyll is a big bloke, but we’d be severely outnumbered.

Hope that helps.
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Besides, imagine if we painted a $25k BMW GS Adventure rainbow colored or permanently affixed purple fur to a KTM 1290....