Out of the Dumpster

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Out of the Dumpster

Post by Easter »

Ride Report: I have about 50 miles on the new odometer now and am starting to feel confident to stray from home. For those of you who have not followed this project from the beginning, to summarize in brief, this GL1000 was assembled from misc. spare and not so spare parts that I have accumulated. The engine block is an 1100 with heads from a '78 1000 and cams from a '76. I was worried a bit about the heads as a post assembly compression check showed cylinder number 4 with a reading of only 90 or so. A recent check after running it for 25 or 30 miles indicated all four cylinders in the 160-165 range which is as good as it gets.

Back to the ride: Let's just say it feels a bit "raw". Loud pipes (a bit better with the added fiber glass but still loud) a bit of popping and back firing on deceleration but it quickly rolls into low idle without any concern that it will die. VERY hard suspension at both ends. New shocks, VSS I think, have not been adjusted but at 200 lbs, I am not a light weight so I expected better. The front suspension is from an '80 (if I recall) GL1100 and with new seals and carefully measured ATF, still way too stiff.

The Sportster seat and the position of pegs and bars all seem good but their ain't much padding in that seat! But the engine-- it undoubtedly isn't up to modern sporbike level power but it will set you back on the back of the seat in any gear. Throttle response is very quick with no hesitation. I made the mistake of wearing a half-helmet when I took it out last evening and every time I hit the throttle, my helmet would slide back on my head so I never got above 85 but it got there awfully fast.

In summary, the only thing I am not happy about is the suspension. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it. I don't think I want to get into changing out the complete front end (I did that on my '75 "nightmare") but it needs something to improve the ride and handling.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Best mod for the buck for an older fork is a cartridge emulator.

Contact Jamie (http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/) and ask him what he can do for you. I've sent forks to him for re-valving as well as used his drop in kits at home and the change they bring to the bike is unreal. GOOD quality fork fluid at the proper weight and height will go a long way, as well as nice seals (I use SKF's whenever I can as they are unmatched for slickness) make a big difference. Also, follow Randakk's guide to minimize stiction (http://www.randakksblog.com/removing-st ... ont-forks/)

Also, throw a set of Hagon's or Ikon's out back and be done with it.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Thanks, I will look into these. Bike is running again now so I will put a few more miles on it. I backed off the pre-load on the shocks so maybe that will help. Shocks are YSS and look to be well made. Maybe they will work better now.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Have had visitors for the last week but today planned to take the bike for a good long run. Started great, sat and idled while I aired the tires and got my gear together, then rode it the 50 yards or so out to the end of the drive and while checking the mail, it stumbled and died. Would not restart--just the familiar click of the solenoid. Pushed it back to the garage, checked the battery (12.68), parked it and took the 1800 instead!
When I got back I pulled the starter and disassembled it to check for the short. Sure enough the lead that is soldered to the exterior terminal screw was broken. Under just the right conditions it would touch and work but when warm it apparently allowed a gap.
I had to scavenge parts from a couple of other problem starters but eventually put together one that works. Now it is supposed to rain for the next several days so I likely will not get a chance to ride it more than a few miles.
Bikes at present:

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Hope that's the end of that for you. Good catch.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Was looking back at this thread and realized I kind of left it hanging. I still have "Goldie" but will put it up for sale in the Spring. In October my son met me at the Fall Classic in Luchenbach and I brought this bike and my orange "Dragon Wing" on the trailer. In addition to the incredible bike gathering we rode a couple of hundred miles through the Texas hill country. The bikes ran great and my son seemed happy on Goldie (the green bike). So all-in-all I am happy with the project. Now if I can just break even when it sells, all will be right with the world.
Bikes at present:

Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

The bike looks great, but the most impressive part for me was your electronic wire-up...and I bet you learned a ton plus!!!
...Sundance.
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I really enjoyed working with the M-unit and would use it again, it does add cost to the build that is hard to recoup when selling.
Bikes at present:

Return to “GoldWing UnderGround CustomiZing”