Dark GreenWing 1977

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Dark GreenWing 1977

Post by Easter »

I have used the second one,metal and glass a couple of times. Near oem quality. The one on the orange bike, Dragon Wing is almost four years old and still looks good but is stored inside.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by codyjames707 »

Easter wrote:I have used the second one,metal and glass a couple of times. Near oem quality. The one on the orange bike, Dragon Wing is almost four years old and still looks good but is stored inside.

Thanks for the info! I think I will go with the second one, especially knowing that the cover is glass compared to the cheaper plastic one the first one has on it.

Another question I had was if anyone has seen a good replacement gauge without breaking the bank? Just a speedometer would be fine with me, as long as it has neutral light indicator, turn signal indicator as well. I've seen them online, but I am curious if anyone has experience or suggestions with a gauge switch out. I just don't really need the RPMS gauge in and would like a slimmer front end.

type1
1977 Gl1000 DARKGREEN-WING
BOTM April, 2018
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59710
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

codyjames707 wrote:
Easter wrote:I have used the second one,metal and glass a couple of times. Near oem quality. The one on the orange bike, Dragon Wing is almost four years old and still looks good but is stored inside.

Thanks for the info! I think I will go with the second one, especially knowing that the cover is glass compared to the cheaper plastic one the first one has on it.

Another question I had was if anyone has seen a good replacement gauge without breaking the bank? Just a speedometer would be fine with me, as long as it has neutral light indicator, turn signal indicator as well. I've seen them online, but I am curious if anyone has experience or suggestions with a gauge switch out. I just don't really need the RPMS gauge in and would like a slimmer front end.
type1

I'm looking forward to this question/answers also.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

On my last build (botm February ) I used a Minature mechanical speedo from eBay. Installed the idiot lights in the headlight. Lights were bigger than I wanted, but otherwise I was happy with results. Cheap and clean. I couldn't use a tach with electric fuel pump but a matching tach is available. I have also used digital combo but would stay away from the cheap ones.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by codyjames707 »

I am trying to find a 4 inch speedometer, but this one has a decent price with the indicators as well...

http://www.motosport.com/bikers-choice- ... ator-light

BOTM April, 2018
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Most electronic tachs from 80-90 four cylinder Hondas work with a wire tagged to a coil wire. Some used different ratios(Kawasaki Yamaha I think) and will give higher readings than actual.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by codyjames707 »

I found this speedometer for a Honda CB400SF... could be an answer for a slimmed down speedoter while still keeping the basic indicators. Might need to make a bracket to attach it to the GL1000, but it would be at least a slightly slimmer look for it.
scooter-parts-font-b-Speedometer-b-font-font-b-Tachometer-b-font-font-b-Gauge-b.jpg
scooter-parts-font-b-Speedometer-b-font-font-b-Tachometer-b-font-font-b-Gauge-b.jpg (139.48 KiB) Viewed 310 times

What do you guys think??

BOTM April, 2018
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You notice it's in kph. I wish we'd hurry up and change over. My fourth grade teacher told me in 1965 that we would be all metric by 1967. I never liked her.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by codyjames707 »

ericheath wrote:You notice it's in kph. I wish we'd hurry up and change over. My fourth grade teacher told me in 1965 that we would be all metric by 1967. I never liked her.
Hahaha! Totally missed that. I do think know though... there aren't too many clean "mph" gauges out there. I think I might have to figure out the conversions to mph and suck up the km/h gauges..
BOTM April, 2018
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Have a look at the Acewell range of speedometers. There is one particular, model 4654, that has every function that the Wing cluster has but all on one small round display. IMHO it's the perfect small replacement unit for our Wings.

Our local supplier didn't have stock of the 4654 so I opted for the cheaper 2853 unit without a temperature display. I then mounted a separate temperature gauge next to my Acewell unit.
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

ericheath wrote:You notice it's in kph. I wish we'd hurry up and change over. My fourth grade teacher told me in 1965 that we would be all metric by 1967. I never liked her.
I can remember this same prediction back in the early 70's when I was in elementary school. Now that I'm a math teacher in a middle school, I teach the metric system. SO MUCH easier for the kids to understand instead of our standard measurements. The base-ten system makes a lot of sense...10mm to 1cm/10cm to 1dm/10dm to 1 meter.... rather than 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 5,280'/mile etc..
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The hardest part was getting the elementary teachers to learn it to where they could model it without reading it from a book. I feel there are many times when American students are using their brain power converting, while counterparts in science, engineering, etc are using their brain power on the problem.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

ericheath wrote:The hardest part was getting the elementary teachers to learn it to where they could model it without reading it from a book. I feel there are many times when American students are using their brain power converting, while counterparts in science, engineering, etc are using their brain power on the problem.
No matter what unit system you use in engineering a person should know how to do unit or dimensional analysis.
If you take a week and learn dimensional analysis or unit fractions, conversions are cake and you'll know that your units or dimensions resolve properly. IMHO
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

All true.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Carson.0
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Carson.0 »

codyjames707 wrote: Yeah, the first was defenitely the "eh" one. Any suggestions on an aftermarket headlight? Im at least trying to get the back end of it to be black and not all chrome...
I've never liked the ones with the signals built in or the halo setup. Anything with a diffused lens like the second one also suck for light output.

I get a lot of my stuff for builds on dime city. Never had a lot of luck with amazon or ebay.
Got a big 7 inch light off for my wing which worked well. Black back, chrome lip for the housing.