Coast to coast in the U.S.

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

katawest
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: Coast to coast in the U.S.

Post by katawest »

Härliga bilder!
Gjorde klart snedtaksreglarna och började sätta upp takpanelen idag.
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

Wonderful adventure! Thanks for sharing.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Due to our inability to get up in the mornings and check out in time it got even more adventurous yesterday...

Starting from the Hilltop Motel in Nebraska (after consuming the very nice owners not to bad interpretation of a swedish coffee) we drove to city of Casper, Wyoming and went out for dinner with Amandas half-sister and her mormon family. It was interesting to hear stories from missonairing by John the husband.. But it got so late that again we had to ride in the dark after that... Now I never want to do that again.

Freezing cold. To many animals. And to much energy to always scan the road. We had a deer passing in front of us... Some that looked like a fox was eating from a carcass on the road shoulder.. A huge bird took of from the side of the road and just missed my head. A mole...or someone with eyes close to the road, ran around to the left... Four rabbits crossed the road, and two of them I probably killed with the left fot peg.

We reached the foot of rocky mountains at 0:30 am, and put the radiator on max.

Today we are determined to reach wherever were going in daylight!
Attachments
Drivers snack
Drivers snack
image.jpg (195.48 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yea riding at night is something I like to do because of the traffic here on the East Coast but the dangers are terrible. Glad you were able to avoid all those furry obstacles!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

the sharp contrast of a hot day vs night temps riding can also bite,

i remember a night ride, in blowing wet snow conditions, in a minivan,

all of a sudden .............BANG,

have no idea what i hit but figured some small animal, i saw nothing
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Hard to stop when you got a destination in mind. Driving lights help, reduce your speed. One night I knew it was time to stop when I couldn't maintain a steady speed and mailboxes started looking like dogs.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

Brant wrote:Hard to stop when you got a destination in mind. Driving lights help, reduce your speed. One night I knew it was time to stop when I couldn't maintain a steady speed and mailboxes started looking like dogs.
i went (micro?) asleep early (started ~ 05:00 with no sleep prior) one morning, next thing i knew i was on the rocky/dirt shoulder of the fast lane, ended up drifting (no braking of course) into the middle grassy median area,

worse part was almost dropped it at the very end, very low speed, in the slimy wet grass,

woke me up tho then made it to NY city, even tho, at the time, was just at the beginning of the trip
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Waking up in Medicine Bow national forest today, air was crisp, fresh and little bit chilly... We wanted to get started but it all takes so much time to get ready... Shower, breakfast, packing, filled up a little oil, checking the route... And when all thats done its time for coffee!

We started with about 20 miles up the mountains on dirt roads. I dont know much about ridin that, but I can tell you an old bike with two people and luggage and sitars easily becomes unsteerable if you chicken out on the throttle around the corners... We made it into Colorado eventually and the views are just great! Snow clad mountains and serpentine roads. Coming around a corner one of those large trucks with oversized load had just tipped over... Police was there and we just hope the driver us ok. Just enough room for us to pass!

It started to rain so much we had to stop for lunch in Granby, but after that we made it over the Loveland Pass. I think the altitude might be the reason I couldnt get the bike to idle up there?
Coming down was just great to, so much views and fun roads...

Stopped for gas in Vail, but then it started to rain so much we had to book a hotel right here. Pricey, but we got updated to a suite so that was a nice surprice! So after a dip in the hot pool and a sauna we call it a day! Tomorrow we will try to get going before noon for once! The plan is maybe to go through Aspen to Bryce Canyon and then Vegas. The grand Canyon will have to wait until after Vegas it seems..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (176.6 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (169.41 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.02 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
c2c colo.jpg
c2c colo.jpg (123.97 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
c2c upsidedown.jpg
c2c upsidedown.jpg (124.44 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Last edited by mr west on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yea dirt requires either very slow and cautious or very confident and aggressive. Hard to do in between.

That is a LONG Day from Vail to Vegas!! Be safe!!

"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I know you have some time left in the states before you return to Sweden but if you are planning on storing the bike and return to it some time in the future you might start thinking of how you leave it while you're gone. The best way is to have someone knowledgeable with motorcycles to look after it. Someone who can start and run the bike on a periodic basis, look after the tire pressures and the battery charge. If you don't have someone then you will have to store the bike properly, just don't park it and walk away from it and then expect it to run well when you return. If this is something you are interested in I'm sure we can come up with a list of things to do to the bike to ensure as much as possible that the bike will be in a rideable state when you return.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Well were are not trying to make it to Vegas from Vail in one day! We are planning to stop for the night somewhere around Bryce Canyon...

I think I have the storing of the bike under control.. I park my bike in Sweden around 6 months each year, so I have a routine worked in.. I dont believe in starting it periodically though... Still appreciate your input!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

Those must be really good cases. I would worry about water getting in.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Ok! Yesterday totally changed my feelings about motorbiking on the highways.. We managed to get going by 10 am, and going on the highway downhill from Vail was great! Long soft bends, most of the times along a river, and spectacular rock formations left and right. Through tunnels and over bridges, after what thought was 10 minutes I glanced at the odometer and it had already been 100 miles!

We stopped for mexican food in an almost forgotten town... Food was quite heavy, so I decided to have the burrito to go. It was a glove fit in the fairing storage!

After that the scenery just got more and more amazing. Passing eagles canyon, ghost rock canyon, black dragon canyon. A few drops of rain on the windshield, but we avoided the bad wheather all around the horizon.
Attachments
Christiania hotel Vail
Christiania hotel Vail
c2cChristiania hotel Vail.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
c2cburrito.jpg
c2cburrito.jpg (118.44 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Last edited by mr west on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

On the exit to a scenic view stop, bike just dies as I park!

All electricity gone!
Just dead while turning the key.
I take a closer look on the wiring which has extra cables running everywhere because of the fairing. I find a big fuse by the battery, but it doesnt seem blown..? After som investigation I see that one is only fir fairing stuff, like the 12 socket and the fan.. The i find the real main fuse and that one looks like the grilled cheese i had before..

It comes to mind that the spare main fuses we had are probably still in the top box we left in Brooklyn!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (172.39 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.27 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (201.89 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Amanda manages to stop a couple in a rental car to ask about a spare fuse... While i gently crawl in under the guys dashboard to locate the fuses I notice hes an exact copy of the Heissenberg character from the Breaking Bad TV series.... It all takes about half an hour to get the spare fuse out of a modern Ford hybrid car... Just no room for fingers!

New fuse in the bike and were ready to go! Question is if whatever caused the fuse to blow is still a problem...? Will it melt directly? Its 40 miles to the next gas station and we have about a gallon in the tank.... Its getting dark... Rains are coming closer... As safety precaution I change the position of the Burrito so that it will not interfere with the fairing wiring...
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter