Clutch Cable replacement

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

gungadin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Clutch Cable replacement

Post by gungadin »

This '75 I bought has a super stiff clutch lever. The kind you have to put your back into.
The cable stem that goes into the clutch housing is loose. It wiggles around.
The cable is somewhat battleworn.
I have a new cable for it.
I'm going to try to install it. I think. I have guts and an adventurous nature. Maybe one of you usual suspects out there thinks I might need more than that. I'm open for discussion.
I don't want to take the engine out.... Yet.
My Haynes manual is at least hiding this procedure from me if it has it at all.
So maybe I need more than just the new cable? Maybe I need to visit the parts counter and/or the tool store.
Maybe I need to go to the grocery store or even the pharmacy
Let 'er rip people. I'll just be here polishing aluminum.
'75GL "LIL WING"
If you aren't making mistakes you aren't doing anything.
RebelRouser
Webmaster (Retired)
Webmaster (Retired)
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rebelrouser/

Post by RebelRouser »

Hope This Helps, Its For The 75-79 GL1000....
Ok This Is The Adjustment Prosidure, But It Can Give You The Tips To Changing Out The Cable
Step One:RED Loosen Up The Upper Adjuster And Nut All The Way
Step Three:BLUE Remove The Cable From The Clutch Lever, You Might Have To Remove The Lever From The Handle Bars To Make This Easyer On A Stiff Cable
Step Four:RED Loosen The Lower Adjuster All The Way
Step Five: Remove The Clutch Arm Cover On The Back Of The Motor
Step Six:BLUE Remove The Clutch Cable From The The Clutch Arm
Snake The Old Cable Out Of The Bike And Install The New One In Reverse Steps And Make All Of Your Adjustments...

p.s. The Steps Are Out Of Order But They Go With The Picts
Hope This Helps, By The Way Comes From The Honda Shop Manual...
If You Didn't Build It, Customize It, And/Or Modify It, Then It Truly Isn't Yours. Rebel Rouser
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

How'dy Gungadin

...as RR says.

And also:

I've found that the right routing can
makes all the difference in the world
when it comes to smooth clutch operation.

Hope this spares you
any major engine surgery

Octane
Da' Supercharged Bulldog

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Dougal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dougal »

The GL1000 clutch is known to be a bit stiff unless everthing is set up just right and no parts are worn. One mod to overcome this is to fit teh outer clutch case, clutch cable, clutch cable mount and make a new adjustment screw and locknut to make it all work. It has the added bonus of making it easy to change the clutch cable should this eventually need doing, a real god move if you have ever tried to change the cable on a hot engine.. This results in a lot lighter clutch as well.

Dougal
They say WHY?, I say why not.
If God had intended motor cycles to be standard, he would'nt have given us the hacksaw.
pissrpr
Brass Member
Brass Member

WRT the cable routing

Post by pissrpr »

I just have experience on the '81, but this may help. To get the routing correct when I changed mine, I tied a piece of small nylon rope to the engine side of the old cable prior to removal. When I pulled it out I just had to tie the end to the new one and pull it back through. It takes some work to get everything in without a bind, but it still beats trying to route that mother by hand.

good luck

cheers
clay
'81 GL1100 48k miles and ticking (no thats not the valves)
gungadin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gungadin »

I posted yesterday but it didn't stick or something.
The clutch cable was unbelievable gummed up. And routed incorrectly.
The new one is smooooooth a silk.
DONE DEAL!!!!
'75GL "LIL WING"
If you aren't making mistakes you aren't doing anything.
Paul Narramore
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Clutch Cable replacement

Post by Paul Narramore »

Ah but what IS the correct route? How do I know if a PO has re-routed it wrongly? I have a very heavy clutch and intend to replace the cable but I presume there are two different clutch cable lengths - one for the high cowhorn-type US handlebars and one for the lower European-type bars. I have changed my high bars for those with a 5" rise, halfway between US and European, and it does seem the old long cable has quite a tight curve to make after it leaves the lever and bends back to the frame. Any idea of the Honda part number for the shorter cable?
Present bikes -

BMW R100/7
1989 BMW R100GS-Paris Dakar
MZ ETZ250 Trials
1977 Honda GL1000 GoldWing
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Motion pro will make one any length you want .....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Paul Narramore wrote:Ah but what IS the correct route? How do I know if a PO has re-routed it wrongly? I have a very heavy clutch and intend to replace the cable but I presume there are two different clutch cable lengths - one for the high cowhorn-type US handlebars and one for the lower European-type bars. I have changed my high bars for those with a 5" rise, halfway between US and European, and it does seem the old long cable has quite a tight curve to make after it leaves the lever and bends back to the frame. Any idea of the Honda part number for the shorter cable?

The stock routing is from the handlebar to an opening just to the right of the Choke knob. From there across in front of the headstock then into the triangular opening of the frame rails. Down along the inside edge of the right hand frame rail. There is a hanger about mid way above the Carbs. Back to the indented area of the fuel tank running parallel with the wires for the brake switch. That is the hard area to feed through and some lube may help. Most of the time I remove the brake switch wires and replace them after I have routed the cable so they don't get tugged on excessively.

The Clutch on these is not light but it should be very smooth. Also if it is a real problem a 78/79 perch and lever provides a longer throw and does provide some relief.

Diagrams are here but they are not the best http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=43612
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Paul Narramore
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Paul Narramore »

Thank you, and I can see already that my routing is different. Just one more question, what do you mean by 'perch and lever', the entire clutch lever or the lever at the end of the clutch?
Present bikes -

BMW R100/7
MZ ETZ250 Trials
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Paul Narramore wrote:Thank you, and I can see already that my routing is different. Just one more question, what do you mean by 'perch and lever', the entire clutch lever or the lever at the end of the clutch?

The lever is the lever, or handle if you will. The perch is what the lever bolts to.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Paul Narramore
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Paul Narramore »

Ah, We Brits don't have a separate word for it - the entire clutch lever is called just that. Thanks.
Present bikes -

BMW R100/7
MZ ETZ250 Trials
Paul Narramore
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Paul Narramore »

Right, As I have the carbs out, and a bit of space under the 'shelter' I thought I'd have a go replacing the clutch cable. Now whilst the routing was not quite as shown in the above diagrams, the only difference was that it failed to exit close to the choke known sweeping forwards instead. Now I have fitted 5" rise handlebars, not quite as low as the European 'flat' handlebars but not so awful as the US 'high' handlebars. My bike came with highbars as it is an imported '77 from the US but built in Japan. With the 5" bars the cable is just too long. Hopefully the shorter one will do the job. I've contacted wemoto.com who gave me the dimensions of the clutch cable they stock for pre-78 GoldWings - 157cm inner cable, 145cm outer cable. I checked the withdrawn existing cable which is 175cm inner cable, 152cm outer cable. At just over £20 I have ordered one.

Getting the old clutch out was a struggle and took me about twenty minutes. The worst bit was removing the lower end from the clutch as the adjuster simply got in the way. Also where the cable passes the breather pipes. It was easier to undo these and pull them to one side. Incidentally the inner cable was very stiff within the outer cable, 37yrs of lack of lubrication.

How on earth I shall manage to adjust the clutch with everything in the way, I shall find out. It looks just about inaccessible. Also the above diagrams suggest the clutch cover is mounted onto the clutch with a large round gasket between the surfaces. Is that right as mine is simply metal to metal?

The Wemoto part number for the shorter clutch cable is 425935.
Present bikes -

BMW R100/7
MZ ETZ250 Trials
Paul Narramore
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Paul Narramore »

Well the replacement cable has arrived - its a TSX Hi-Lex control cable (HL-425935) - and I have yet to install it but I can see already just how stiff the old cable was. I don't know if this is Teflon coated or not, no mention on the packaging, so have contacted TSX to check this.
Present bikes -

BMW R100/7
MZ ETZ250 Trials