Finished!!!!! rethinking a 1200

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Finished!!!!! rethinking a 1200

Post by rcmatt007 »

1980001_zps8b769773.JPG
1980001_zps8b769773.JPG (426.92 KiB) Viewed 308 times
to give a bit of history. We got our first sidecar in 1980 when we were expecting our first child (a California sidecar)
with the second child we up sized to a motorvation, which never handled well and with the weight and big flat windscreen overwhelmed the 78 at times. Here we are pulling into my parents in Sedona AZ on the way back from a St. Louis to SoCal trip (1985 or 6)--I guess that means redwood has been on two wheels for nearly 30 years
In 1988 we bought our 1200. Honda had come out with the GL1500 and was cleaning out the wear houses (more on that later) and the price was right. We sold off the motorvation sidecar and bought an EML conversion (cost more than the 1200).
Initially I painted the rough gel-coat sidecar white (couldn't find a picture). Then I painted it the same two tone candy apple blue as my 78 and about 93 or so matched up the bike. That is when I discovered that Honda LITERALLY cleaned up the wear houses. On various parts there were three paint schemes under the wineberry, and on some parts there were two schemes under it.

When I was in Oregon starting residency, the bike had an argument with a tree. The EML front end, fairing, shelter cover and handle bars lost the argument. So I tore it all apart. I started to rebuild it (no pictures, sorry) and discovered ebay. Anyway, the frame was from a breaker in Georgia (it is now an 85), and the needed parts from various places. I sold the EML sidecar, and then painted it the color of my current HD. Redwood did not like that color on it, sooo.....

In 2003 we moved back to Oklahoma and bought a motorvation spyder sidecar. This was all painted at a storage facility (lest than optimal) and I never was happy with the results, and the top coat urethane started peeling

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa88 ... GP1572.jpg[/img][/url]
1986001_zps5fb54cd3.JPG
1986001_zps5fb54cd3.JPG (293.85 KiB) Viewed 308 times
86eml001_zps53f1eeee.JPG
86eml001_zps53f1eeee.JPG (340.99 KiB) Viewed 305 times
friend.JPG
friend.JPG (60.9 KiB) Viewed 305 times
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Re: rethinking a 1200

Post by rcmatt007 »

so what better time than when I have the engine out to replace the stator to rethink the 1200 (I have never "named" bikes, it is simple the 1200 or the 86 wing (even though legally it is now an 85)). So time to wave good bye

pile o-parts

a shining repainted engine

and away we go
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

thanks RC!
it ig good to hear the back story action1
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

remember I mentioned urethane over lacquer. What I learned in '02 is that ALL of the urethane MUST come off the lacquer or any paint you lay down will lift the urethane and ruin the paint job. You can see the top clear coat here.

this piece is a particular challenge because of the deep crannies. I actually let it soak in some lacquer thinner and it lifted everything off.

leaving behind a big pile of dust
-Rodger-
Neil

Post by Neil »

And, you are of course wearing a mask while sanding.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

no, but I am blowing out blue boogers.
-Rodger-
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

I'd only worry if your pee is also Blue. ;)
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Oh Rodger....you docs should always know better! I have to admit, the RT in me cringes when I hear that, yet I have been caught doing the exact same thing!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Casper wrote:I'd only worry if your pee is also Blue. ;)
there actually is a pill you can take that does just that!

yeah, I admit, I know better..... will scrounge some masks at work tomorrow
-Rodger-
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

rcmatt007 wrote:
Casper wrote:...snip....
will scrounge some masks at work tomorrow
Ha ha...that's where mine come from too! anim-cheers1
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I really did not expect to get so much done today. Still have to the two boxes, and bottom of the trunk. The fairing, sidecar and one other piece is across the state. The sander was really to remove as much of the clear coat first. Everything then will get wet-sanded.

Redwood really liked the color combination I did on the 79 project (the photobucket link in my sig). I have wondered about doing a gold pin stripe instead of silver. However, from eastwood, it looks like I would have to buy a gallon. Way too much for just pin striping.

Did wake up last night realizing (once again) I am at that age of having some mild arthritis in my hands..... holding the sander in my right hand "shook" thing up a bit.
-Rodger-
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

Great thread Rodger. +1 on the back story. I look forward to seeing this in person when it is finished.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

got home too late last night to start wet sanding. Washed off the parts I did, and you can still see little bits an peices of the clear coat, but that will remove with wet sanding. This weekend I plan on tackeling the sidecar and fairing.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

this weekend it was time to put the engine back in

With JBZ's suggestion I tied up the carbs out of the way

A real tight fit

as they say.... it is always one broken part away from spending real money...

that took most the morning and then it was off to an Easter egg hunt with out grandson. Next weekend more sanding on plastic, especially the nooks and crannies. I also thought, as long as it is apart. Pull the muffler and renew the black paint.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

took off the muffler to clean it up and repaint the horseshoe part and discover the left muffler to frame bolt was missing. We have a trailer hitch on the bike which also uses this mount. The trailer hitch part sat on the muffler and dented and eventuall made a hole. So I took some flat steel stock and made a patch. not the prettiest, but it covers the hole

-Rodger-