(don't) Flip This Bike!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

1CrazyMoFo
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 1CrazyMoFo »

I did the same with one of my wife's old rugs, nice to walk on, kneel, and such. Just be warned, these rugs do not stand up to the rigors of welding flamer !!!!!!!! DUH!!!!

Great looking bike, cleaned up really nice, jam on!!!
Peace,
Frank
The truth about Ape Hangers, yes they are very slimming.
bandiso
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by bandiso »

Good looking bike Roady, congratulations and keep ua posted!!

http://goldwinggl1000.blogspot.com

My Album in NGW Gallery:
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ns/bandido

TAPAS & RIOJA WINE FOR FREE WHEN VISITING BARCELONA ( NOT A JOKE )
koan
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by koan »

Nice find, and I thought I got a good deal when I bought my 78 for 500.00. :shock: ...cleaned up good.....Brian
Brian D. mid Mo.
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Thanks, Guys.

The right muffler had a rust hole where it joins the header so I pulled em off today. A buddy at work offered to patch it up with his welding equipment.

Well... nothing is that easy on Friday the 13th.

When I got the right side off (the one with the hole) the left side fell apart. Seems that someone had done a patch on it in the same spot some years ago. My buddy said that there's little hope for this system ... it appears to be DOA. I was hoping that since the mufflers and headers themselves had no rust holes we could just join em back together ... oh well.

So now I gotta do some phishin' and figurrrin' to come up with some really cool pipes.

In other news, the gas tank is cleaning up really nicely. I poured in a quart of acetone, added some nuts and bolts and shook it around all day. It's still soaking. I'll empty that out tomorrow and pressure clean it. Haven't seen rust inside and I've got my fingers crossed.
Last edited by Roady on Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jester »

I think you got ripped off. You had to pay $400.00, you had to take it to your house, give it a bath BEFORE getting it naked, JUST TO SEE WHAT SEX IT IS!?!?!?!
That's just not right. :lol: :lol:

Jester

BTW: Nice find ;)
Jester

1976 GL1000 Stock....... Well, Kinda.
Roady

Post by Roady »

Yeah, Jester. I got ripped off bad.

Update

I got her running today! Not too bad ... carbs are spittin' and sputterin' a bit but all else seems to be running smooth.

The tank was removed, blasted, flushed and replaced. All lines flushed out and Randakk's In Situ Carb Cleaning completed once. I may have to do this again (and even again...) tho' it's running pretty smooth now. Drained the oil, replaced the filter and filled it with cheap-oh 30 wt. per Randakk's Starting a GL1000 after a Long Lay-up instructions. And then ran it up until hot, about 5 minutes. Drained it again, replaced filter and filled it with 50/50 Oil and ATF. Then it ran at 3500-4000 RPM for 20 minutes. That was a stinky experience!

I did a little farmer-fix on the pipes, they were separated at the header/muffler joint. I just wrapped em with some sheet steel and put some radiator clamps on 'em. I have a plan for something better but have to wait a bit for the $$.

Next on the agenda: New Tires; Brakes; Lube; Wheel Bearings?; Timing Belts; lots of Polish, Paint and Primp.
Last edited by Roady on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcrider
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by jcrider »

It's all work,work, work until......the fun begins. Riding naked must be worth it :-D , so many are doing it :lol: . I am about two steps behind you, mind if I watch?
JCRider
81 Goldwing
77 CB750K
85 700 LTD
QUEEENlE
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by QUEEENlE »

Very nice find ..good on you .... you ll love it ...carpeting in the garage ..hmmmm ....well at least you got wood ..... underneath the bike <grin> .... great find ... good one ...g'luck

Hugs
Q
O, for a horse with WINGS ~Shakespeare
____*____*____*____*____*____*____
Most things make me say, hmmmmm
80 GL1100 [img]http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/albums/queeenie/King.thumb.jpg[/img]
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you!
Jester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jester »

QUEEENlE wrote: ....well at least you got wood .....
:lol: :lol:

Jester
Jester

1976 GL1000 Stock....... Well, Kinda.
1CrazyMoFo
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 1CrazyMoFo »

lolol Wood....he-he---he...she said "wood"!!! This thread anit gonna get wierd like that pannear-napkin thread is it???? Queenie is such an instagator!!!

Good work on the bike, summers a waste'n, better get move'n!!
Peace,
Frank
The truth about Ape Hangers, yes they are very slimming.
QUEEENlE
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by QUEEENlE »

QUEEENlE wrote:well at least you got wood ..... underneath the bike <grin>
i ve been misquoted again ... heheheeee .. i wouldnt start anything ...really ... maybe he could paint those panniers "pink" ..hahahahaha omg.

Hugs
Q
O, for a horse with WINGS ~Shakespeare
____*____*____*____*____*____*____
Most things make me say, hmmmmm
80 GL1100 [img]http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/albums/queeenie/King.thumb.jpg[/img]
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you!
whizzy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by whizzy »

Just saw the vid. how cool is that! Nice bike. Let the fun begin!!
taunusrainer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taunusrainer »

This tank needs a VERY thorough cleaning, make sure You have this job properly done as it will spill Your carbs and make permanent trouble afterwards. The worst is that afterwards You might not think of the gas tank as the cause and will tinker on carbs and ignition...
Otherwise the ride looks nice, I got the very same one, GL1100 1980, marroon, but with Krauser saddlebags and Honda fairing.
You need brake caliper pistons? I have stainless repro parts for sale!
http://www.proebstl.net/pistons.html
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Great video Steve.
Keep us posted!!!
Roady

Post by Roady »

I've been running her a bit everyday. Haven't gotten my tires or timing belts in so it's just been making noise in the shop. It's still not running up to snuff, tho.

Seems that one of the left side jugs is not firing. Probably not getting gas because the exhaust doesn't smell like gas. The exhaust is just pulsing weak. Any ideas on how to narrow it down to which one? Meantime, I started another soak today with the Yamaha carb cleaner, hope it helps.

I was worried about the front brakes and have been working on them, on and off for about a week. The master was dry and it seemed that I just couldn't pump in any fluid or get out the air. When I pulled the banjo bolt off the master there was lots of pressure. So, I hooked up a long hose to one slave, pumped, loosened, and then sucked on that hose. Lotsa air! So I sucked on both of them thangs and got all that air out today. I've now pumped about a quart of fluid thru and I got tons of front brake. We don't need no steeenkin' mighty vacs. That's what I call suck-sess.

So I gots brakes now. It starts right up. Just need some tars and timin' belts and I'll be ready for a ride.

And YES, I got wood in my garage. And I get more everyday!