Another GL1000 build..."Therapy"

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

shieldsm
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by shieldsm »

Greetings!

One build was not enough for me, so decided to start another GL1000 project. I finished my first project a couple years ago (see 1st pic), and subsequently donated the bike to my brother. The link to my build can be found within this forum here:

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42370

My first built:
#1.jpg
#1.jpg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
The past 16 months have been a nightmare for me with the passing of my wife and two small children. I gave the bike to my brother because, well… I wanted (needed) to do something that would make me feel good, albeit for just a brief moment. The bike was originally his prior to rebuilding it, and felt he would like to have it back.

Anyway, flash forward to a couple months ago I was desperately looking for something to keep my mind of the tragedy. I loved working on my GL, as it was always a way for me to escape the reality around me and just be one man with his tools and motorcycle. Therefore I knew what I needed to do.

I shopped around on Craigslist and really wanted an early model (76’-77’). I always liked the styling versus the late models (my last bike was a 78’). I found one that was in pretty decent shape for about $900. It turned over fine, but the carbs were frozen shut so it would not start. I took a gamble (don’t we all with these bikes) and made the purchase.

My current project, after a good washing…
#2.jpg
#2.jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
4hrs later…
#3.jpg
#3.jpg (87.65 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Almost ready for painting…
#4.jpg
#4.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Currently everything has been disassembled and just about ready to paint the engine and get everything else off to powdercoating. I replaced the timing belt, installed a new Barnett clutch with EBC springs, and replaced the water pump. I am far from rich, but have already made up my mind that money (or lack there off) will not prevent me from doing what I want to this bike.

I am going with the dual Weber Carb setup. I have already purchased Randaak’s manifold kit and patiently waiting for their arrival. My priority is having a well performing bike, so everything will be overhauled (brakes, bearings, electrical, etc). Will go with new coils and electronic ignition.

It was so nice to work on a bike that I have come to be very familiar with. I learned a lot (sometimes frustratingly so) the last time around, so I am very confident in my skills. Of course you never know what is lurking around the next rusty bolt or screw…

I will keep you updated on my progress.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Another GL1000 build..."Therapy"

Post by ericheath »

Great to see you back. Good story on the previous build, good practice for this one to make all yours.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

shieldsm,

I cannot imagine the grief that you've been experiencing with the loss of your family. I'll not try to say words of compassion or sympathy as nothing would be appropriate so, I'll only say, I am truly sorry and I know that you'll find your way through this darkness.

I'll be watching this most recent build thread with great interest as you'll be expressing yourself through the decisions you make for this bike. I envy the fact that you're able 'let your mind go' on this. I'm not able to do that with mine, as I've dedicated myself to keeping it as factory correct as possible. Actually, it's very boring. Some day, if I can recover sufficiently from my most recent challenges and get my energy back, I'd like to do much the same as you and let my mind go' as well.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Oh man, even though I do not know what caused your loss, my heart felt sympathy goes out to you. If you ever need help, or just want to BS about bikes, I am over in St. Michael...always willing to lend a hand one way or another.

Is your new bike a 77? Mine looks more like your frame picture now, but looked fairly similar to yours when I got it.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

As Placerville and wingrider have already said, can't imagine what you have been through and my thoughts and prayers are with you. We all think we have 'problems', but when you weigh them up compared to others, it makes you feel ashamed.
Although I and others are far apart, on here we are all only a click away.
Good that you have found another project to work on and look forward to following your posts.

type1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
shieldsm
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by shieldsm »

Thanks everyone for the kind words....

I started this project about 2 months ago and my very busy mind kept telling me to start tracking my progress (and story) on this forum. The very stubborn part of me did not want to because well...I have gotten very comfortable with "tuning out" and isolating myself from others. Not the answer I know, but with your kind words I am glad I posted my build. Some post their stuff for different reasons but I know now that it is much more than just the build. Its the camaraderie we all share and the kindness and good nature we provide for each other...
shieldsm
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by shieldsm »

Wingrider,

I am close by you as I live in Zimmerman. The new bike is actually a 1976. There were some very nice models on Craigslist that were probably in much better condition, but I could not justify $1500-$2000 when I am going to take it all apart anyway.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Yep, saw you were in Zimmerman...Have a niece that lives over there. It is hard to buy one in real good condition when you are going to pull em down, and build them the way you want...that was why mine wasn't a beauty queen when it got picked up.

Did you pick up your Webers yet? I went the same route, so everything is in boxes waiting to go on.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
ehadams
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ehadams »

The Tank looks very nice. Good luck with this build.
Eric
75 GL1000 w/ California SideCar Friendship 1 (mine)
79 GL1000 w/ Sweet SideCar (Heather's)
75 GL1000 destined to be customized
89 GL1500 (still undecided)
79 GL1000 was Scott's (what to do with this one?)
GRN75
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

This is one I will be following very closely, your first build showed a lot of imagination, I suspect the same will be true on this one.

You know you have a large band of brothers/sisters here to support you, in any way we can. If you need parts, ask, I am sure we would all look into ours spares and come up with what you need.

Good Luck, Take Care.

Cheers,
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out after admiring your previous build. Go get em Mark.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

...just be one man with his tools and motorcycle
I'll be following for sure.

Carry on tumb2
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

shieldsm wrote:SNIP.... "but I know now that it is much more than just the build. Its the camaraderie we all share and the kindness and good nature we provide for each other..."
There you go! anim-cheers1
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Mark, my heart goes out to you brother. The strength of character it takes to get to where you are is amazing.
I salute your choice of "Therapy", I think the build and this forum will bring you much constructive distraction and support.
Wishing you we'll on this journey...
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
shieldsm
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by shieldsm »

Again, thanks for the great support. It means alot!!!

So, just put on 3 coats of epoxy primer after days (and days) of prep. Can never get that engine 100% clean, but the paint went on well. After much debate, I decided to go with 2 part epoxy which will be followed by a black satin finish. All just regular automotive paint vs the high temp stuff. I hate rattle cans... just can never lay it right. The only downfall of my last project was the crappy engine paint. This stuff will be so much more durable. If it flakes from the heat, oh well. Here is the pic with the primer.
CameraZOOM-20140609221630241.jpg
CameraZOOM-20140609221630241.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Tonight the black goes on....