1981 Goldwing Going Naked

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

1981 Goldwing Going Naked

Post by TNTbefree »

Hello, I am new to NGW and I think I am in the right spot...

Two weeks ago I was looking for an old GW to work on. I came across one on craigslist that I had seen before. It was at a grand when it was first posted. Then a couple days later it was at $750.00 and then they came down to $500.00 so I had to go see it.

The wife and I went to take a look, and when they pulled this bike out into the light, I threw up a little bit in my mouth. It was the ugliest bike I have ever seen. It looks blue in the pics, but it is a bright purple with large flakes in it that glitter like a disco ball in the light.
1981 Goldwing GL1100 01.jpg
1981 Goldwing GL1100 01.jpg (110.89 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
That's me in my work cloths. I know, I'm sexy, but this is about the bike.

Wanting to take a look at it, I asked the salesman if he had a key. When the sales rep went off to get the key, I asked my wife what she thought and she told me that it was ugly. I let her know that I could paint the ugly off of it, but overall, what did she think? She told me that I could have it if I could get it for $450.00.

So when the guy came out with the key, I asked him if he would take $450 for it and he said, "Sold"! The look of surprise on my wifes face was priceless.

I took a look in the tank and it was clean.

They said that they didn't know if it ran. The guy who traded it in said that it needed a starter and stater. So we pushed it up a hill, dropped it in gear, then shoved it down the hill to see if the engine would turn over. It popped and sputtered, so I assumed it was good.

We brought it home the next day on my trailer and I started ripping into it like a monkey on a cupcake.

First, I took off the bags and pipe extensions.
1981 goldwing Gl1100 02.jpeg
1981 goldwing Gl1100 02.jpeg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
1981 Goldwing Gl1100 03.jpg
1981 Goldwing Gl1100 03.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
1981 Goldwing Gl1100 04.jpg
1981 Goldwing Gl1100 04.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

After that, I bought a starter rebuild kit and broke into the starter, but the brush dug into the actuator, so it was toast. So I ordered a new starter online and fought it into the bike. Changed out the gas. Pushed the start button and she fired right up. I was thrilled beyond words.

After she ran for a bit, I turned her off and found an oil leak under the water pump. I then checked the oil and It may have had a quart of oil in it. OOPs! I got lucky. I know to check the oil before you start a old bike, but I didn't expect it to start and I had no idea how to check it. Come to find out, it has a dipstick in front of the radiator.

Right now I am in the process of replacing the water pump, painting, and bringing it to its naked beauty.
1981 Goldwing GL1100 05.jpg
1981 Goldwing GL1100 05.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
Just so you know, this is my first bike (I'm 44 years old) and I will be taking the motorcycle class soon to learn how to ride it.

I hope to have fun with ya'll and to keep this rebuild/tear down updated, so stay tuned...
Last edited by TNTbefree on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1981 Goldwing Going Naked

Post by ericheath »

Good start. Color looks better when clean...meh. I started riding again around your age. Take the class, find some open country for a while. The track record for 40 somethings jumping on a bike and surviving long without training is not good.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

So excited for you! looks like it found a great home. Now first and foremost. Do not run it any longer until you have changed the belts. Looking forward to watching your progress.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Welcome from west Michigan. What a good find for the money. When/if you have questions we are here for you.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Thanks for stopping buy guys. I am for sure going to take some classes. We have Adamac Harley here in Jax and they offer bike classes all the time. Costs about two hundred bucks.
Last edited by TNTbefree on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

The timing belts look good. New even. Can still see all the type and #'s on them clearly. I think the water pump in it was new too, but whoever did it, didn't clean out the mineral build up in the pump housing and the o-rings didn't seal up right. I may still change them. I have the covers off for cleaning.
Last edited by TNTbefree on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I do have a question though...

Right now it has Dunlop tires and they need to be replaced. I am not a fan of Dunlop, who makes a good, inexpensive tire and what is the best size, if I have a choice?
Last edited by TNTbefree on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Found out that you only have to hit submit once for it to work. I posted one post 4 times and I could not delete the other three, so I broke up my message into three posts. I like talking to myself....
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Welcome! Many will say it, so here it is....if you don't know when the belts were last changed, do it now....these engines are the type that valves hit pistons if belt breaks. Even though they look like new, change them....it is cheap insurance.

If someone did replace the water pump and didn't clean it up, that would tell me they didn't know what they were doing. Be sure the pump shaft doesn't wiggle, and you get the correct o-rings when you button it back up.

Good luck on your project! Can't help ya with tires...but someone will know.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Great deal.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I don't know what your riding style will be and you don't either at this stage, but many of us seem to be building a consensus toward Metzler tires. A little more expensive than other brands but they last longer. Works out about the same or a little better on a per mile basis as less expensive tires but you incur the shipping, disposal and mounting costs less often by getting a longer lasting tire. BTW you will be dissapointed in how long a motorcycle tire lasts vs automotive tires, take my word on it.

Belts often look good right up until they break. Change them!

I can't tell by your previous posts but I surmise your wife might be interested in riding with you? If so then consider making it a bagger. Far more useful than a full blown cafe. Check for examples in the gallery or for my version check the build link in my signature.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

TNTbefree wrote:The belts look good. New even. Can still see all the type and #'s on them clearly...
I think I heard that somewhere before ...

You should read the New2You? thread, link button found in my sig.

'Taint nothin' a li'l paint won't cure.

And consider keeping the bags. :8)
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Alright, you made your point, new belts it is. The reference about the last guy obviously not knowing what he was doing, hit home. The bike is apart now, so it would be a good time to do it and I will know that it was done right and when it was done. How often do they need to be replaced?

I'll look into those Metzlers. THNX

Someone took my pic and made it into my profile image. Thank you. Looks good.
Last edited by TNTbefree on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Welcome. All of us will probably agree: Buy the manuals, do the belts, check out Randakk's site, read all the forums, double check everything, there are no stupid questions, ask anything, use the right tools, buy the right tools, read motorcycle safety books, don't drink 'n drive, close cover before striking, member FDIC, etc.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

[quote="TNTbefree"]Alright, you made your point, new belts it is. The reference about the last guy obviously not knowing what he was doing, hit home. The bike is apart now, so it would be a good time to do it and I will know that it was done right and when it was done. How often do they need to be replaced?

which ever comes first; 5years/ 25,000 miles is the general rule of thumb tumb2

on a new to you bike, without 100% reliable documentation from the PO (previous owner), ......nah, change them anyway. As you've already acknowledged, "The Photo" shows the fate you could save yourself the miseries of. :(
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.