vetter rooster or sting mounting

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

vetter rooster or sting mounting

Post by rcmatt007 »

Unfortunately I am at work and so I'll get some pics up this evening.

I have an old vetter sting (rooster?) fairing I bought about 1985 for our cx500. It has been gathering a lot of dust (since maybe 86) and have thought about mounting it to the Ltd for this summers rides. I KNOW I don't have (or cannot find) all the hardware.

So wondering if anyone has one to give me an idea on what I may need to make up to mount it

currently, there are two brackets which most mount to the headlight mounting bolts. then there are two ROD thingies --- but now clue on where they go

I'll get up some pics this evening
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Re: vetter rooster or sting mounting

Post by roncar »

Bullet maybe? I don't see a sting or rooster on vetters website.

http://www.craigvetter.com/images/Vette ... 20Inst.pdf
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

no, it is not on vetters website, because he says (legitimately) they were made AFTER he sold the company
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well, dang.... what can't you find on google?

-Rodger-
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

rcmatt007 wrote:well, dang.... what can't you find on google?
Not much. Sometimes you have to be 'creative' in your search term. action1 action1 action1
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well, now I know what to look for in the "I may need this later" junk pile
-Rodger-
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Just gonna say, I had one of these on my CX too. The rods connect to the handlebars with clamps.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

yeah, now that I found that image of the instructions it vaguely comes back to mind. I had no idea what I might be even looking for in the various places I have odds and ends, but now I will recheck (this weekend), or have an idea what to fabricate.

I did find the handle to help left my cb360t on its center stand
-Rodger-
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Contact the guy with the fuel tank on fleabay, he should be able to get you 6 or seven hundred for it!
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

so here is an update. simply cannot find the brackets (although there are some boxes in the attic with O-guage trains I did not check).... but I thought, hey, I am an ngwclub member, I'll make my own (sure helps now seeing what I need)

straight stock bent... sure helps to have a vise, anvil and hammer... and a rod connector with a hole drilled for the top rods.... I will run in a bolt from the outside to tighten against the rod.

I cut an old inner tube to but between the headlight ears and the hose clamps to protect them. got the left side on, but my garage door faces west and the late afternoon sun was killing me, so the other side will have to wait.

also turns out the top rod is just a smidgen larger than 3/8 so I'll need to enlarge the hole just a wee bit

-Rodger-
Jean
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jean »

So RCmatoo 7 did u get your sting fairing installed?,(sting as the Rooster is a different fairing,)as my Rooster looks a lot different then the one in your scech .
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

yeup.... kinda ugly but really takes the wind off pretty well, and works for little $$$

-Rodger-
Jean
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jean »

im concitering replacing my shoei with a Rooster ,but man its going to be a ton of work .as i have a car steairo installed ,and not to mention painting it .

im considering replacing the shoei with a Rooster vetter .but man will it be a huge job .as i have a care staireio installed and not to mention getting it painted.oh ps if this ends up looking wonky
Attachments
It dont look to bad .kind of cool actual,but are you at some point going to have it painted to mach your bike?I have a Shoei on mine
It dont look to bad .kind of cool actual,but are you at some point going to have it painted to mach your bike?I have a Shoei on mine
new pic's june o12 035.jpg (110.8 KiB) Viewed 797 times
im considering replacing the shoei with a Rooster vetter .but man will it be a huge job .as i have a care staireio installed and not to mention have it painted to mach my bike
im considering replacing the shoei with a Rooster vetter .but man will it be a huge job .as i have a care staireio installed and not to mention have it painted to mach my bike
new pic's june o12 036.jpg (139.2 KiB) Viewed 797 times
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Actually, installing this old rooster (which I had in the "maybe I will use some day" parts bin) was really a temporary fix. I wanted some sort of wind screen before I took this bike on a 3,000 mile trip this summer, and was already spending money on other things. The final plan is to go with something like a national cycle windshield.

I am surprized you would replace that shoie with the vetter. It looks good the way it is.

Looks like you have bicycles growing out of the bushes there
-Rodger-
Jean
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jean »

Ha lol ..umm ya and that's just a portion of my bike innovatory as i restore or recondition bike then clean em up for sale out front of our yard.

But anyway in considering the change as the rooster had more room ,as in a place for the radio ,a place for speakers ,and a place to mount any other switches or gauges i may want to mount,,

But now aside from the work ,i have my reservations as to one how it will look,and how my bike may handle it it.or behave with it on,i have bin doing a lot of searching on the Rooster fairing and believe me a lot but aside from finding some on ebay ,i cant find anything on it as who too took over or Crige sold the company to .other then where he says ,he sold it to his banker who then bank roped the company .but he doesn't say who his banker was,but then i read that Bell as in Bell hellmuts ,bought the rights but i cant find any sights that list they'er fairing contribution to the name ,and iv bin looking for accident statistics on the Rooster