Fuelpump rebuild gl1000 (It worked)

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

postrucks
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by postrucks »

I was able to rebuild my pump thanks to peteybug's illustrations. I used a small block chevy fuel pump for the "donor" diaphram. Went to the local auto parts store and told them I wanted a fuel pump for a 75 chevy pickup, and $20 later....My first attempt it leaked out the weep hole. So I took it apart and cut a gasket out of the left over diaphram material to go under the screw head also added a thin steel washer to prevent distortion. Works like a champ.
1978 GL1000
peteybug
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by peteybug »

Glad to hear that. Good luck.
love new ideas for old wing's. AS I have three and am always working on them

[img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/motorcycle040-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/motorcycle037-1-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/3%20wings/Townworkandbikes036-1.jpg[/img]
Roj
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Roj »

BUDKING wrote:i found a small electric fule pump that puts out 2-4 psi and stated it was for 4-6 cyl cars its kinda rigged on the bike atm just to see if it will work out ok so fare its doing just fine and it isnt very loud $44 But i would like to fix my old pump a new one is $92 bucks+ tax. So how much for a pre cut pice of rubber.
Man I wish I could get a pump for that cost, I am in New Zealand and I was quoted NZ$540 for a replacement, just been reading this thread to see about fixing my one...
If you can't be good, be good at it
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

That should be doable. You might even find the material over there. If not a fuel pump from something like a Holden should give you the material.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Roj
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Roj »

Cookie wrote:That should be doable. You might even find the material over there. If not a fuel pump from something like a Holden should give you the material.
Yep, I was thinking of hopping in to shop to talk to someon I know that might be able to help
If you can't be good, be good at it
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

I've always been able to get much more rebuilt in Kiwi than over here. In the old days repair parts were hard to come by over there.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

hiddenone
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by hiddenone »

good work but more than i want to do. I bought an electric fuel pump for about $35 and it worked great. as for the whole where the old pump went i just made a blank cover for it and bolted it on. :)
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."
--Willaru Huayta, QUECHUA NATION, PERU
2-76 gl1000's
1-76 gl1000 LTD
1-parts 75 gl1000
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Fuelpump rebuild gl1000 (It worked)

Post by Sidecar Bob »

A few weeks ago I got thinking about this. My 'Wing is now pulling a sidecar (= burning about 20% more fuel) and the pump is drawing from the Rotopax mounted on the side of the sidecar by the saddlebag about 40% of the time (significantly farther away from the pump than the bike's tank and lower so it won't syphon if the pump dies). I figured it was about time I did something to make sure I didn't end up stranded by a dead fuel pump so I started searching eBay for a fuel pump diaphragm that might be useful (or a kit that contains one).

I found several that looked promising but the only one that had a diaphragm that was usable was a kit made for a 1929-1933 Chevy offered by a seller called Marxparts. The listing said "This is a Fuel Pump Gasket Set and Diaphragm for a 1929-33 Chevy fuel pump. It includes modern neoprene diaphragm that handles today's fuel types, 3 bolt spring cover gasket, glass fuel bowl mounting gasket, and fuel pump engine mounting gasket" I contacted him to ask about the dimensions of the diaphragm and told him what I wanted it for. He told me that the diaphragm is 3 1/4" (approx. 82.5mm) diameter with 3/16" holes. The measurement from the inside of one hole to the inside of the opposite hole is 2 1/2" (approx. 63mm). He also told me that they sell the diaphragm separately for $6 + shipping ($4 to Canada).

The diaphragm for a GL1000/1100 pump is 68mm diameter and the clamping diameter is 45mm so I ordered one.

I finally got time to mess around with it today. I did everything pretty much the way Peteybug described except for a couple of things:
- I took the pump apart to work on it. Instead of drilling the ball bearings out with a carbide bit as has been described in another thread, I drilled a couple of small holes just inboard of the balls and at an angle and drove them out with a small drift. This allowed me to clamp the shaft in my drill vise for drilling &c.
- I held the top of the pump against the new diaphragm, centred it by eye (the original holes will be a bit less than half exposed) and marked the new holes and the outside diameter with a ball point pen, then punched the holes with a leather punch and cut away the excess with sharp scissors.

Now I need to get time to mount it on the bike and try it. I will probably carry my old but known good pump with me for a while just in case.

I will report back after I have had it on the bike for a couple of weeks.

If you want to order one of these diaphragms, go to http://www.marxparts.com/repro%20chevy_fuel.htm (last item on the page) or email bob@marxparts.com and tell him you want a 3/1/4" fuel pump diaphragm like he sold Sidecar Bob
Last edited by Sidecar Bob on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
peteybug
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by peteybug »

Bob thanks for the info I think I'll get some and try them. Thanks again Pete
love new ideas for old wing's. AS I have three and am always working on them

[img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/motorcycle040-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/motorcycle037-1-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/3%20wings/Townworkandbikes036-1.jpg[/img]
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I put the rebuilt pump on today, started it up and it squirted fuel out of the weep hole. Then I took it back off and opened it up again to see if the screw had come out or something dumb like that but everything looked OK.

While I was in there it occurred to me that the washer I had put under the head of the #6 screw was a lot smaller than the one I destroyed taking it apart so I dug around and found a larger outside diameter washer, put it all back together and tried again.

I don't know if the washer made any difference but this time it didn't squirt so I went for a test drive around the block (10 Km - we have big blocks here) and it didn't squirt even after running for half a Km at 5000 RPM. I know it was pulling fuel uphill because it was drawing from the Rotopax and, while the carb bowls are a bit higher than half way on it, it was less than 1/3 full. Also, I could see the bubbles moving in the fuel lines and filter.

So far so good, but I think I will carry the old pump and the tools to swap it out in the saddlebag for a week or so just in case.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

Good on ya Bob!
Enjoy life,
Cookie

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Update:
After more than 6200 Km the pump with the Marxparts diaphragm is still working perfectly.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

Guys I have done this too, several times and I have a local source for viton to make the gasket. Works well.

Some issues not mentioned the shaft can spin when drilling and/or tapping..so you have to have a way to hold it, I made a jig to compress the shaft/metal disk that holds it in place or you can use some needle nose vise grips to hold it.

Second getting the metal plate off can end up bending it a bit so you have to be sure to get it perfectly flat again or it may leak. Also better to use a flat/pan head bolt round tops tend to hit the top of the pump. And you should use a drill press to drill it out not much room for error when drilling the shaft.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
lambretta
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by lambretta »

Yes, I need a new pump :( . Fuel below the diaphragm must not be. There must be a hole in it.
Matthias

GL 1000 K3, 1978, restoration 99% finished;
Africa Twin XRV 750, 1993;
Heinkel 103 A2; 1962;
Benelli Tornado 650, 1971, restoration started;
BMW K1300S; 2010;
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Almost 2 years and the Marxparts diaphragm is still OK.

If you need one they are on this page http://www.marxparts.com/repro%20chevy_fuel.htm (last item at the bottom - still $6)