Making Shiny Parts

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Making Shiny Parts

Post by Roady »

This is uncanny. Richard sunnbobb Mattrass beat me to this subject by posting his Polishing aluminum in eighteen hundred steps just slightly over 12 hours ago. respekt2 His method will result in much higher gloss and is waaay more thorough than what I'm presenting here. But, I've got more pictures. lol2004

You should also read two other great sources of polishing info here at NGW:

Polishing Aluminum by Bryan MD

Polishing With a Grinder by Paultjack

I like shiny bits as much as the next guy. But I'm not too over-the-top about it. The OCD part of me is pretty much saved for adjustments and cleaning in the guts of the machine. But sometimes a guy has got to have some bling. And besides that, I hate to sand. So presented here is my quick way to shine up aluminum parts and keep them shiny.

The wheel had never been one of my tools before getting this bike. But with all those crusty covers and forks I knew that it was time to find out the best way for me to polish aluminum. I say, for me, because there are a gazillion ways to do it and everyone has their own opinion. I am hoping that this thread kicks off some discussion and we all learn something about it.

My carbs are out for a rebuild so it's time to attack those intakes.

[attachment=6]1before.jpg[/attachment]
The first thing to do is to peel off the tape labels and do some etching. I scratched a number on the inside edge of each one. But, I got my carb kit today from Randakk and Howard Halasz tells of a better way in his excellent GL100 Repair Guide. His idea is to put a punch mark on #1, two on #2, three on #3 and none on #4 (4's the one w/none). Cool. Next time, that's how I'll do it. Thanks, Howard.

Clean the parts with Mineral Spirits and lots of rags and it's off to the wheel.

Here's everything all clean. I went at the screws and clamps with WD-40 to clean them up.

[attachment=5]4clean.jpg[/attachment]
The buffing wheels are layers of cloth that are sewn together. When you use them, clouds of fine particles will fill the air. Wear a mask.

I built a mini enclosure to contain some of it.

[attachment=4]5space.jpg[/attachment]
My carbs were in the same space, partially open, so I covered them tightly with a drop cloth.

Here are the wheels and paste that I use.

[attachment=3]6paste.jpg[/attachment]
The grinder and the finish (red) wheel is from Harbor Freight. Cheap. The firmer wheel and pastes are from Ace Hardware. Start with WR1-White paste and finish with JR1-Jewelers Paste. The white wheel is firmer and has extra stitching. Always think of these as sets. Don't put the wrong paste on a wheel or you've just trashed it.
FirstYearDeek wrote:...snip... no one uses all the steps! So here it is; in order from MOST to LEAST abrasive, if you want to use every step in the aluminum polishing/buffing locus:[list=1][*]Emery (BLACK in color)
[*]Tripoli (BROWN in color)
[*]Rouge (WHITE is the one you want for aluminum. The liquid stuff is nice.)
[*]Rouge (RED "Jewelers rouge")
[*]India Ink (I'm not going to argue with NASA! Or sunny for that matter.)[/list]Parts in good condition might be able to skip the Emery. Previously polished parts may be able to skip the Emery and the Tripoli
...snip...
From Deek's thread, Inconsistencies in buffing methods
Don't put a lot of muscle into grinding, it don't take much.

CAREFUL! I always stand to the side anytime I'm using a grinder. And especially here with the cloth wheels. These wheels can grab a part and fling it across the room or into your forehead before you can say "Bob's yer uncle".

Here's the result on the first intake after about 5 minutes with the white wheel.

[attachment=2]7white.jpg[/attachment]
Then I did about another 2 minutes with white on that one to get an even finish. Then the white wheel on the other three and switched to the red wheel with Jewelers paste.

The one on the left below shows the result of 5 minutes with the red wheel.

[attachment=1]8red.jpg[/attachment]
Roady wrote:EDITS -- 23 June 08: Removed section on Clearcoat ... I no longer recommend the application of clear-coat over your polished aluminum goodies. I had to pull off the forks that I worked so hard on 8 months ago to install my new headlight. That's when I noticed that they have become corroded under the clear-coat. I'll have to strip and polish them again to regain that shine.
Edit 7 Oct. 09: The jury, it appears, is still out on the clearcoat issue. I want to have what was on the bike when it was new. The covers and forklegs had some kind of magical Honda clearcoat that we all fight so hard to remove. My covers now look like crap. I clearcoated wrong and now must pay the piper. I washed my parts after polishing them to remove all that black, sticky stuff. Then I wiped with alcohol and sprayed the clear. I just learned that you never paint on top of soap. DOH! Where's my slap-head Homer when I need him? I will solve this, even if I have to pay Honda for the paint.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Rub on some Simichrome polish and you're done. Repeat the polish at least every six months. Like, on the spring day you'd planned to ride and it rained and on the fall ride day when it snows. This does not apply to you guys in the desert, of course. Your stuff don't corrode, does it?

And here we have the shiny bits all lined up and ready to go back on the bike. After the carbs have been Randakk'd, that is.

[attachment=0]10done.jpg[/attachment]
This is a fairly easy process. But do remember that the cleaner is caustic so you must wear gloves. And the jewelers wheels kick off LOTS of tiny fibers that can be a bad thing for your lungs. So please wear a mask. Be careful with that dang grinder too, it's got tons of torque.

This entire process (with the pictures and paragraphs, too!) took less than 3 hours. Yeah, I've had a little practice but what I'm saying is that it doesn't have to consume your life.

Bling it up my brothers and sisters!
Attachments
1before.jpg
1before.jpg (80.6 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
4clean.jpg
4clean.jpg (110.33 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
5space.jpg
5space.jpg (58.95 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
6paste.jpg
6paste.jpg (84.3 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
7white.jpg
7white.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
8red.jpg
8red.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
10done.jpg
10done.jpg (66.57 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Last edited by Roady on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:24 am, edited 12 times in total.
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Thanks Steve!

Great stuff
and great photos !!!
dan filipi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/galle ... album_id=1

Post by dan filipi »

Nice writeup Steve.
Good pictures too.

How can I make the carbs look like new?
'83 Interstate and an
'83 parts bike

http://classicgoldwings.com
My Album

Roady

Post by Roady »

Thanks Octane and Dan. As the Bandit said, "I do like to show off."

Dan, we'll see how mine turn out, they're in to soak as we speak. I won't be wheeling them, just cleanin' em. I may not even buff the vacuum tops. I kind of like some things to keep their patina.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Polishing

Post by sunnbobb »

Great writeup and pics! I'd like to hear back in a year or so on the effectiveness of the clearcoat. I'd LOVE to clearcoat, but hesitate until I have an actual example to watch! Good luck!

Richard
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

It was interesting to me that the shop I use to polish, Cantwell's in San Bruno, reccomends against clearcoat. Since much of thier stuff goes to museums and the like they advise just hitting it with Semichrome once a month for long term results.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Roady

Post by Roady »

I am rethinking the clear coat on the intakes. It's holding up okay on the timing and valve covers but I'm a bit concerned that the heat where the intakes are might yellow the stuff.

Might buff it off before the carbs are done and put them in naked.
hiddenone
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by hiddenone »

thanks roady, great job :-D
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."
--Willaru Huayta, QUECHUA NATION, PERU
2-76 gl1000's
1-76 gl1000 LTD
1-parts 75 gl1000
vulture7
Tin Member
Tin Member

polishing ---supplies

Post by vulture7 »

I recently ordered a sisal wheel and the white, brown and black bars from caswellplating dot com

They sure have a great variety of supplies. I have not used the compounds yet as I need to finish building a stand for the mandrel to mount 2 wheels onto. It does look like their bars are drier than what I bought at Harbor Freight. Has anybody else used caswell bars of compound? How well did the wheels take the compound?

There is a lot of great tutorials and of course a finishing forum on their site.
Wayne (Wisconsin)

78 GL1000
77 GL1000
79 KZ1300
75 CL-360
73 CB-350F
75 CB-400F
76 CB-550
77 FXS
77 CB-750F
AND MORE....
Roady

Post by Roady »

I made a change in the original post.

Seems you can clearcoat over polished aluminum if you do it right. :oops:
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

LOL Sunday I clear coated my intake manifolds on the right side! Time to take off the left, polish them and coat them too!
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked, in the head, by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens. - Capt. Rex Kramer

'78 Honda GL1000 GoldWing
'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
sandmar
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by sandmar »

Wow,,,what a difference. Thanks for the tips.
Wandering aimlessly
BigDub
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Making Shiny Parts

Post by BigDub »

WOW! sure would be nice to have some pictures to see the process.

Where'de they go?
1984 VF1100 Flat Black Saber
1981 GL1100 Flat Black Bagged aka my pickup
1976 MR175 farm/trail bike
1975 GL1000 Antares Red
Roady

Re: Making Shiny Parts

Post by Roady »

I only showed one pic as missing. That one has been replaced.

You might want to also read Sunnbobb's writeup (referenced at the top of mine) and he has another thread going called Bradshaw Bikes Polishing and Tips for Polishing.