Ernie's 77 resto project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Ernie's 77 resto project

Post by polkadot »

Hi guys. If you read my intro you know that I inherited my 77 Goldwing. I did not know its condition until Saturday when I picked it up. Attached is a picture just after it was rolled off the trailer in my driveway.
It doesn't look bad in the picture, but it needs some real work. The first thing I did was to get the bike "naked". Upon closer inspection, I know it needs new tires, brake system repairs/rebuilds, shocks, front fork rebulids, engine seals, routine maintence items, major cleaning, minor surface rust removal and I'm sure a lot more! I really want this bike to look and run great when I'm finished! I have been following Randakks proceedure on restarting an engine. I know that this bike has not been ridden for about 6 years. I got to the point tonight where I was to crank the engine to distribute some oil in the cylinders. After some cleaning contacts etc, the starter spun, but it clearly was not engaging anything. I connected the kick starter and it moved all the cylinders, so I know they are not frozen. I have some knowledge of engines, but I know nothing about these bikes. I am persistant, determined, willing to research the shop manuals and am very coachable! Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated! They will be needed if I am to get thru this project. ( I already used the electro-rust removal system and could not believe how well it works!) Here is what the bike looks like now. Image Thanks, Ernie
Last edited by polkadot on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
starket

Post by starket »

Nice looking bike. It should be a great start for your project. Are those speakers mounted to the trunk?
Steve Tarket
1975 GL1000 Restoration
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 - Jigsaw +
Proud Member of the NGW Cartel
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looks like a great start! I'm pretty partial to blue, also! do a search on the starter issue, there are lots of threads about non-engaging starters!

Good wrenchin'
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Steve, yes those rear speakers were mounted on the trunk. I was told they work, but took them off before the new battery was in place. Todd, thanks for the advice. I'm so new I forgot about the search feature. I did the search and found it may be the oil. I had not yet removed the original. I just took the plug out and oil filter off. When I first removed the filter case there was a small amount of coolant in the oil. How bad is that? The oil looked good when fully drained. I assume those two systems should not be mixing?! Please, please tell me this is normal. Even if its not, I can take it. Ernie

70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Hey, Ernie! water or coolant in the oil is not good. However, if the bike sat for a while, like it sounds, i'd put off any snap judgements, as condensation inside the engine could be a contributing factor. The first place I'd look is the waterpump, which is right behind the lower radiator hose inlet. directly below that, on the bottom of the engine, there is a weep hole that is the "early warning system" for the waterpump or seal. Often this hole can get plugged with road grime etc. check that out, too.

Down in my sig is a link to a very helpful post, New2U, which covers a lot of the typical issues you could run into. Look thru that, TAKE YOUR TIME, and ask plenty of questions here! Oh, AND HAVE FUN!
Good wrenchin,
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
tk1971
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

fun

Post by tk1971 »

That's going to be a fun project. Just take it one step at a time and leave no stone unturned. The plastics look good, so you will be saving major cash trying to get original body panels. Also, you've found this site, so you've already save 1/4 of your time looking for info.

Tony
FAIR is the only four letter "F" word I know.

Rides a 78 GL1000
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Man, that looks like a great start to a fantastic bike.

It does not look like it's been overly "fixed" either. That's a good sign.

I'm looking forward to this one, and keep the pix coming as you go along.
tk1971
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

shocks

Post by tk1971 »

Just noticed the shocks. What kind of shocks are those?

Tony
FAIR is the only four letter "F" word I know.

Rides a 78 GL1000
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Thanks for all the words of encuregment guys. I think I'm going to need them. I am beginnig to see what the "Wing" is doing to my life. My job is now just a place I go when I'm not working on the bike. I got home tonight and changed the oil hoping that the starter may kick in. No such luck. I'll have to do some research. Suggestions are appreciated. I also looked for the weep hole under the water pump. Image
It was pluged and gunked to the max! I cleaned it out. Looked like chocolat milk that came out. Also got some small pieces of metal and rubber. I guess I better pull the water pump and either replace or rebuild. Any thoughts? By the way there are air shocks on the rear. On the tront at the top of the forks there is an air gauge. It does not appear to be connected to the rear shocks. Is this connected with the front shocks? Image Thanks again. Ernie
Last edited by polkadot on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I would get it running if possible before tearing into the pump. An easy way to check and make sure it is not going to grenade is to pull the outer cover ( where the lower hose attaches) and stick your fingers in there and wiggle the impeller blades. A small amount of rotational play is ok but zero sise to side play on the shaft itself.

For your starter changing the oil is not going to fix it unless the engine is running. The clutch in there is engaged by centrifigual force. It is a sprague clutch design, there are three roller bearings that engage the outer basket to spin the engine. The least bit of Varnish or crud can make those rollers stick and when it is spun they will not engage the outer housing. I would do all my other maintenance and then get the bike running either with the kick starter (very unlikelly on a resurection) or call a couple of buddies over and try push starting it. Once it is running exercise the starter with the bike at idle. Engage it several times and listen as it runs up. You should be able to hear it reach peak rpm and release it. Do this 10 -15 times. Shut the bike off and test it. It may respond better to a flushing agent than standard oil. Drain a quart of Oil and add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). Just use caution not to rev the engine too high as the MMO will dilute the protection on your main bearings and cam journals.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

whiskerfish, Thanks for the help. I can't really see myself pushing this "bad boy" to get her started, but we shall see. (Especially since it doesn't have any brakes!) My plan was just to do enough to get a compression check. That way I would know if the internals were ok. Then I was going to start tearing down and replacing and rebuilding. It seems however that I need to do some other work just to get the compression check. I'll take care of the gas issue and check the water pump as suggested. However at this time I'm not getting any spark when I use the kick starter (and obviously not when I hit the starter as it is not engaging). The bike has a dyna, so there are no points. I'm not really sure where to begin to check the ignition situation. I understand the basics but do not know how to check the individual components to isolate the problem. If you or anyone can help it would be appreciated. I hate to keep asking for help all the time. Maybe this portion of the project is over my head! Thanks, Ernie

polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Good news and bad news. I drained the fuel tank. It was full of rust. The integrity of the tank looks ok, just a bunch of rust and gunk floating around. Is it best to take out the tank and do the Mr Wizard science de-rusting or should I tackle it another way? I also removed the water pump cover to check that. I was told that there should be no side to side movement. WRONG! It wobbled all over the place. Probably had more than 1/8 inch side to side movement. I guess that means that I will drain the oil again and start the water pump replacement routine. Now for the good news. I started cleaning connections and checking wires etc. I tried the kick starter and lo and behold, SPARK! I was so happy. Those other problems are mostly wrenching. The electronics have me a bit bewildered. I'll keep plugging along and keep posting. Ernie

TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

If you have the water pump out, it's a good time to check the oil pump clearances and change the three oil pump o-rings.

I know, I know, the list keeps on getting bigger!
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Tom, I spent 3 years restoring a 63 Cadillac and 58 Thompson, so I know about "the list". Image Image I found that I don't mind doing these things, but I hate RE-doing them! Thanks for the heads up. I even thought about spending the $100 or so to buy a complete gasket/seal set so that I have them when I need them. If I don't I'll end up buying them piece by piece. What do you think? Ernie

TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

Hi polkadot77,

As a guy who also restores boats, I really like that Thompson. Nice work!

And I have good memories of cars with really large fins. The car I drove in High School was a '60 DeSoto, with a push-button automatic transmission and really huge fins.

Hard to say on the gaskets. The best prices seem to be from Service Honda, and they take a while to ship. If you can predict what you will need, or don't mind extra gaskets, pre-buying can work out.
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie