Neutral (The Light, The Switch, And The Diode)

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Neutral (The Light, The Switch, And The Diode)

Post by roncar »

One of the most asked questions is, “Why is my neutral light on all the time but brighter when actually in neutral?” Most of the time this is a neutral switch failure. However be sure to check all associated wiring and connections. A chaffed wire with a poor ground can give the same indications.

What is a neutral switch you say? The Neutral Switch is a safety feature that, when working correctly, will not allow the Starter to engage while the bike is in gear.

As shown in the following diagram, the starter relay, or solenoid, has a positive potential applied when the ignition switch is on and the start switch is depressed. But on the negative side, in order to get back to ground and the negative side of the battery, either the neutral switch or the clutch switch must be engaged.

Tapped off the neutral switch is the wire that supplies the ground to the neutral light. The neutral diode is placed between the neutral switch and clutch switch (and the starter relay). As a diode will only pass electrical current in one direction, this allows either the neutral switch or the clutch switch to apply “ground” to the starter relay. However, when the clutch switch is activated, and the neutral switch is not, the current will not go through the diode and apply the ground to the neutral light. Therefore if your neutral light “lights” when you pull in the clutch, the diode is shorted and needs replaced.

When the neutral light stays on when in gear, but not as bright as when in neutral there is a resistance in the neutral switch that is reducing, but not eliminating, the voltage (ground) being applied to the neutral light. This reduced potential is also applied to the solenoid and is not a good thing.

The neutral switch sits in the lower part of the engine block, and the gunk and carbon gets built up on its contacts over time. This creates an alternate path for voltage through the switch. This alternate path is not a “direct short” and has some resistance to the current being drawn by the neutral light. Resistance whether from corrosion or carbon buildup will be dissipated as heat and drop some of the voltage being applied, hence the dimmer indicator light. If the resistance gets low enough, the safety factor of the neutral switch will be defeated, allowing the starter to operate with the bike in gear.

My advice to anyone with this problem is to bite the bullet and fix it. New switches are available, as of this writing, and replacing a switch with a used switch (been there, done that) is not justified as this task is enough of a PITA to not want to do it over. While easier to replace with the engine removed, it is not impossible to do in the frame. The procedure is in the Honda Service Manual and a walk thru here.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14520

That being said, you have several alternate options (not recommended but here anyway.)
  1. Ignore it.
  2. Black tape over your neutral light.
  3. Disconnect and insulate wire going to neutral switch (will require pulling in the clutch to start the bike, and the clutch switch may be bad but you didn’t know that because of the bad neutral switch)
  4. Try to burn off the carbon ( http://www.gl1000.info/NeutralLight.shtml .) Didn’t work for me.
  5. Remove the neutral light (bulb)
  6. Totally bypass everything by removing the bulb and connecting the green with red stripe wire from the solenoid to ground.
  7. Try cleaning the old switch with solvent (requires removal of the switch.) Didn’t work for me.
  8. Remove the neutral switch, disassemble, clean contacts, reassemble, and reinstall. I haven’t had success with disassembly, but will be trying again soon.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Good writeup, Ron.

No trouble with mine fly into a rage * but good to know that you've got me covered.

*That's how I knock-on-wood.
pago cruiser
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pago cruiser »

So, if I wanted ONLY the neutral light to function (without the clutch safety), I could (per your note #6) ground the green/red, BUT leave the light in. Yes?
"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you..."

Current rides:
84 GL1200 Standard (Red Bagger)
84 GL1200 Motorvation Hack (Big Red Beast)
02 Honda ST1100 (Candy)
08 KLR650 Enduro Hack
09 HD XR1200/Ural hacked
2000 Valk Solo
2000 Valk w Motorvation Hack
95 Triumph T-Bird - Inop
95 Triumph T-Bird/Velorex Hack - Inop
roncar
Vice President
Vice President

Post by roncar »

pago cruiser wrote:So, if I wanted ONLY the neutral light to function (without the clutch safety), I could (per your note #6) ground the green/red, BUT leave the light in. Yes?
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but if your light is on when in gear (but dimmer) it still will be doing what you propose. This is caused by a faulty neutral switch, which would still be in the circuit for the light.

"The Neutral Switch is a safety feature that, when working correctly, will not allow the Starter to engage while the bike is in gear." What you propose would defeat the safety feature of the circuit without changing the operation of the light (whether good or bad.) The only way to make the light operate the way it should (if it is not now) is to fix the fault.

sodbuster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Neutral (The Light, The Switch, And The Diode)

Post by sodbuster »

roncar wrote: My advice to anyone with this problem is to bite the bullet and fix it. New switches are available, as of this writing, and replacing a switch with a used switch (been there, done that) is not justified as this task is enough of a PITA to not want to do it over. While easier to replace with the engine removed, it is not impossible to do in the frame.
The exception of course is the '82-'83 ..... it's behind the transmission cover and can be accessed with the engine in the frame.
'06 H-D Road King
'99 Valkyrie Standard - TOTALED :(
'83 GL1100 Standard - SOLD
'82 CB900F - Black & Red - SOLD
Hoosier Daddy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Posting for future reference....
Bulldoged '81 GL1100 "BOMBER!" BUILD THREAD
Bratstyle '80 GS750L "OVERKILL"
Cafe'd '81 CB750C "ROCK-IT"
Basket Case '72 CB450 K5 "NO CLASS"
Resto-Mod '67 BSA Spitfire "STAY CLEAN"

rainstromrider say's I'm "addicted to the build"... I think he might onto something :)
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Thanks for the bump! I've got the nasty light always on and will give the "Burn-off" method a go... I really wish I had checked that thing before I put the engine back in! shakehands
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked, in the head, by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens. - Capt. Rex Kramer

'78 Honda GL1000 GoldWing
'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
rainstromrider
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rainstromrider »

Wish I had read this before I asked about the "selenium rectifier"!

Daily rider...
2012 Concours 1400
Projects...
81 1100 "Bones" (Stripped!)
Maintain...
Dad's 86 1200 Aspencade (my fee is being able to ride it whenever)
Uncle's 76 1000 (for sale)

builder
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by builder »

I think i have this problem. Bought A wing that has been stored for years, and it was put in gear. But rather than the light stays on , it stays off. How should i fix this?

First bike, gl1000.
First project, gl1000.
Experience, 0
Henry, Australia
brat style goldwing..
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

It is a ground isolation circuit so the first step is to inspect the wire to the switch and make sure it is intact and hooked up.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
builder
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by builder »

Whiskerfish wrote:It is a ground isolation circuit so the first step is to inspect the wire to the switch and make sure it is intact and hooked up.
Thanks, will try to inspect it..
Henry, Australia
brat style goldwing..
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Check the bulb first! been there, done........................!!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Roncar says "if your neutral light “lights” when you pull in the clutch, the diode is shorted and needs replaced."

So where do I look for the the diode (80 GL1100)?

I mean ... I see it on the diagram, but where is it in real life.

Gord (marginal electrical comprehension) Jones :roll:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
roncar
Vice President
Vice President

Post by roncar »

Somewhere in this area (your results may vary and you may have more stuff in the way. :lol: )

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Thanks Ron, I'll have a look for it.

Gord :-D
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F