wiring help...one more time

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

revjim
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

wiring help...one more time

Post by revjim »

Okay...I have my toggle switch...I am wiring my front spot lights...They have one positive white wire coming out of each...the ground wire is aready nutted down in the light. I have two spots on the front...do I combine them and take the to the toggle...and then take another wire from the toggle to the positive on the battery??? Thanks guys!!
She's a beast!!!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Hey ya Jim,

you might consider putting a relay in that circuit. It really cuts down on the current draw, and is really easy to do. The basic idea is your hand operated switch operates a switch that turns on the light circuit for the lights. (think remote control) The light circuit is direct between the battery and the light that way and does not have to go through your hand switch.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

put a fuse
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yes Jim your hot wire goes through the switch to the battery. As Rodger recommends a Fuse in line close to the battery is a good safety to prevent a chaffed wire killing your bike in the future.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
revjim
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by revjim »

okay...so from my toggle to the battery the sequence is this....TOGGLE> RELAY or FUSE> BATTERY....
good???
She's a beast!!!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

You got it toyota. in the following diagram, you would run the "switched power" to your toggle and then back to the battery. This is the right way to wire a set of fog lights. The relay switches the heavy current to the fog lights with big wire, while the dashboard switch wiring can be very small. This keeps high current and large wires out from under the dash and in the engine compartment where they belong. A typical set of 55 watt lights will draw about 8 amps for the pair. The dash switch will pull only about 0.3 amps to operate the relay.

Why use a relay?

There once was a little man named Jon whose job it was to lift a weight of 50 lbs. He could do this all day long with no trouble. But, one day the boss came up and said that Jon now had to lift 200 lbs. But Jon knew he could not lift 200 lbs without eventually breaking his poor little back. So, he got his friend, Hercules to lift the 200 lbs each time that Jon tapped him on the shoulder. So Jon was able to lift the extra weight through Hercules' strength and Jon did not have to lift any weight at all.
Last edited by sunnbobb on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the line from my battery to my horn relay is as such + terminal->fuse as close to + as possible->line to relay...

anytime you run a line off the positive terminal fuse it as close to the battery as possible in case it shorts some where
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
donspicer1

fuse

Post by donspicer1 »

battery + > fuse > toggle switch > lamps. tie the lamps together, then connect to that jumper wire.
puffy75
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ns/puffy75

Post by puffy75 »

I have mine wired to the relay sunnbobb referred to and I have the toggle wired to the black curcuit (hot after ignition) This keeps anyone from turning on the lights when the key is off or in your pocket. Nice diagram sunnbobb
May The Fours Be With You.

CB77 1965 First Bike
GL1000 1975 "Puffy" damaged in accident
CB750F2 1978
GL1000 1976 "Puffy Too"
revjim
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by revjim »

what if I didn't want to wire to the fuse box from the toggle...what if I could just turn it off and they would be off from the toggle or on from the toggle...thanks.
She's a beast!!!
revjim
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by revjim »

do I really have to use a RELAY? Would it hurt the bike not too...
She's a beast!!!
donspicer1

I'm sorry.. revjim

Post by donspicer1 »

I don't follow your question.

lots of grey hair.... balding too - pre-Elmer. I keep muttering 'Be vewy, vewy quiet' to the dog, my best audience. i feel guilty, the flies have nothing to grab when they land, skid off, and hurt themselves.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I use a relay on my horns as they draw more power than the stock horns, so rather than shunt more power through the horn switch (causing it to burn out earlier) I shunt the power through a relay.

however, if you are just toggling on and off the running lights and they are on dedicated wiring, you don't need a relay
-Rodger-
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

rcmatt007, i understood he was running "spot lights". i'm a big fan of relays for most all circuits, but i think in the case of spot lights[which i consider to be those big bright ones on the front],a relay and the proper size wire are a must....not an option. just my 2cents :)
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

certainly if they big draw lights, I agree
-Rodger-