It took a while but I finally got the bike running again and can finish this thread. I don't think that I'd do it again like this but it works and I'm pleased.
I did some research and got indications that a fan switch
from a Geo Metro, 3-cylinder (1.0L) matched the threads and temp rating. I couldn't get one locally so I found the part on RockAuto.com
for $8.23 + $6.29 shipping. Click the Part Number Search
tab and put in the mfg. and number.
1994 Geo Metro 1.0L 993cc 61cid L3 TBI
. Mfg: Beck/Arnley
, Part# 2011614
(I see they're offering the closeout switches even cheaper now.)
The Geo switch
does not have the long probe that goes into the thermo housing. It also has a different connector. So I fashioned a pigtail from 4 inches of wire and bullet connectors. Then I shrink-wrapped it all and stole a black rubber foot off grandpa's cane and here's the finished product.
I couldn't find any specs on what wire is which so I just chose one side to be green and one side to be white/red (I think those were the colors). I figured if it didn't work I could switch
Amazingly, it works! Fan
comes on when it should and all is well.UPDATE:
Though this switch
worked I ended up replacing it with an OEM switch
(about $80) when I later replaced the water pump and head gaskets..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.