I had my clutch cable break after doing this a couple weeks ago. The cable worked it's way out of the hole in the barrel so I had to come up with a more reliable solution.
I found that by countersinking one side of the hole in the barrel you could improve the strength greatly. I took a larger drill bit and drilled about 1/3 of the diameter of the barrel. This way you can fill that cavity up with more solder than before and it won't sqeeze through!
After doing this I must say; It's very nice to have confidence in my throttle cable again!
Pics are barrel, barrel with cable stuck through to previous edge of diameter, and after soldering and filing to shape...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Project; 82 nekked wing "Glinda"
05 VStar Custom "Wicked Witch"
82 KZ440 "Tornado"