1200 rear shock rebuild

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I then took a peice of 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe to help press the seal down into the shock... you push a little further than it needs to be... put in the retainer washerand the retaining ring. when you apply air pressure, the seal will snug up o the retaining washer and ring, and that is it.
my electrcal tape hole closure did leak just a small amount from the pressure of pushing in the seal
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

from here, it was reapplying the outer rubber boot (no picture) and then putting everything back on the bike, and best yet, there has been no leakage overnight! :-D

like most projects, the time was in getting everything off the bike to begin the work, all in all, the time doing the seal was really only about 15 minutes... so if you had a shop do it, the bill should be their minimal amount, provided you have taken the shock off for them.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Nice

Post by Rat »

Nice work Rodger, thanks for the informative post.

Got a couple of old pairs of shocks for the 1100 that I may fix up and sell now that I've found some Progressives. :-? .

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
QUEEENlE
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by QUEEENlE »

i know someone who might need some replaced, repaired, frixed ... front fork seals made a big difference ...still feeling a hard thump when hitting small bumps in the road... road seams and such ... haven't check em out ....they look intimidating ... give it a shot this weekend.

Hugs
Q
O, for a horse with WINGS ~Shakespeare
____*____*____*____*____*____*____
Most things make me say, hmmmmm
80 GL1100 [img]http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/albums/queeenie/King.thumb.jpg[/img]
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

mbrizfam590
here is the rebuild info
-Rodger-
yammas
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by yammas »

wish i had found this earlier .i just spent £80 on replacement airless shocks
why do the three musketeers always use swords
kitbutterfield
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kitbutterfield »

Somewhat off-topic, but in a similar vein...
Does anyone know if it's possible to shorten Progressive air shocks?
KB
1976 GL1000 Nudewing
TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

I have heard of guys cutting the spring shorter. But you loose travel that way. And I don't imagine that the cut end is properly "flat".

I also have seen spring clamps for shortening car coil suspensions.
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie