Refinishing (not rebuilding) Carbs

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

LikeMike64
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LikeMike64 »

Deek,
I have a carb body with both float mounting posts broken that is clean and in otherwise good shape you can have, if you want it. Just PM me your address, & I will mail it to you.
Mike
So many interests, so little time...

'76 GL1000: "The Super Bee" - finished.
'75 GL1000: Basket Case, Next project in queue
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

Great! Carb on the way!

So I was digging through my spare parts bag last night and came up with some CV slide needles; I need to verify the numbers on them but I'm almost certain they are the right ones.

Here's something curious; the CV slide needles I took off were stainless steel. I thought they were all brass?

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

I know you're all waiting for my update... I want to hold off posting this info until I can be certain that I can get replacement felts for the linkages.

I called our local bearing shop today; the conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi, I was wondering if you can get replacement oiling felts for bushings"
Them: "what's the part number"
Me: "Dunno. It's a part for a carburetor."
Them: "Measure the shaft size and the captive race ID and we'll see what we can come up with"

So I made the measurements today and I'll send them over Monday. They'll probably sit on it until after Christmas, though.

The reason I'm concerned is because I thought I got them out without damaging them, but I noticed this evening, one of them is split in two. They aren't glued in, there's just a little lip that holds it in place, but they're apparently very delicate, or the one that's split was split before.

The last thing I want to do is post some information that's going to assist someone in ruining a set of carbs!

-Deek

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

there was a good thread here a while back Deek on felt replacement for the throttle shafts. personaly im not a big fan of removing the butterflys,<the> and would probably go with the cut design. just my opinion. jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

jbz! Long time no see.

is this the thread? http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lt+replace

Raody's thread is incredibly detailed too, but nothing about felts.

I'm not really nervous about the throttle plates; I've done dozens of carbs and probably twice as many throttle bodies for EFI setups. These butterflies in particular are very well tensioned and the "non-reuseable" hardware can be replaced with standard hardware and a good pre-treatment of locktite primer and the red locktite.

What is the "cut" method you talk about?

I've thought about coating one carb with all the guts still attached... (throttle/choke anyway) just to see if I introduce any binding or cause any other issues... if not, that would be sweet.

-Deeki

starket

Post by starket »

Deek,

You are doing a lot of mixing on the Carbs. There are a few subtle differences. Did you buy Randakk's video?
Steve Tarket
1975 GL1000 Restoration
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 - Jigsaw +
Proud Member of the NGW Cartel
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

there was another detailed posts on the felts Deek besides that one by Octane.In it i mentioned felt cabinet door tops might work, the ones that when you close the cabinet doors it quiets them down, but they used something else that i cant think of riight now. The cut method was just a slice on the felts on one side to go around the throttle shafts. probably not as good. JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

starket wrote:Deek,

You are doing a lot of mixing on the Carbs. There are a few subtle differences. Did you buy Randakk's video?
Mixing? If you're talking about the internals, I plan on using all the correct parts for the 755A for reassembly... All I'm lacking is the CV needles at this point. When I'm finished reassembling everything they will be spec for the 755A.

I'm not sure what the PO was trying to accomplish with the mix n' match... maybe he didn't know any better or maybe he's a genius! Who knows.

I've been through Randakk's website and the shop manuals a couple of times now taking notes and whatnot... I don't see anything out of the ordinary for carburetors, other than Honda playing musical jets from year to year! In relation to modern US carbs, the Kehin CV units are mind-numbingly simple. (And to great effect!)

If you've had a modern Holley apart you know what I mean. Acceleration circuits, secondary and tertiary circuits with secondary cams and springs... it gets a little crazy when you get into the bigger double-pumpers. Just look at this rebuild kit for a single double-pumper from Holley:

There are more parts to rebuild a GL rack, but there are 4 carbs. All that is for just one Holley.

There is a certain mystique and ardor surrounding carburetors much in the way transmissions are seen as a total mystery to some... If you understand the basics of air flow and how a venturi works, a lot of the mystery is resolved. I'm not saying I'm an expert, I may get these things together and the bike will run like crap, I'm just saying I have a certain confidence in my abilities and an understanding that should keep me from doing anything too stupid! (I hope ;) )

-Deek
Last edited by FirstYearDeek on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

I seem to recall a mention of using felts from musical instruments. The ones to fix my old trumpet came from an assortment box at a musical instrument store. Not sure if they had tiny ones, though.

When doing my carbs I followed the advice to not disturb the butterfly assemblies. Worked for me, but I wasn't painting and prefer the "antique" look of the old aloomineeum.
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

jbz wrote:there was another detailed posts on the felts Deek besides that one by Octane...
Ah Ha! Found it: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11991

I saw some speculation regarding oiling/purpose of the felt seals and the air passage behind it; here's my take on it. (Drawing from my mech. design days... bear with me)

I doubt the felts are an oiling aparatus. The shaft bush is brass and the shaft itself appears to be stainless. Since this isn't a continuous rotation (motor/pump/etc.) application, no oiling should necessary, provided the clearances are right and the gap does not become contaminated.

A felt washer is an effective and robust method for sealing a shaft from debris. Most compressors, electric motors and pumps will have one or more felt washers as the first line of defense against contamination. They are rarely oiled and if they are in a space where lubricant is present, there is usually a second sealing method preventing the lubrication from drying out.

As far as the air passage is concerned; I believe this is probably used as a method for ensuring the felt remains dry. While felt is normally not bound through chemical means, the binder (glue) in the felt used for industrial purposes could be either water or solvent soluble (or both). Passing air through the felt could serve the purpose of keeping it dry.

Sound reasonable?

-Deek

FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

Roady wrote:I seem to recall a mention of using felts from musical instruments. The ones to fix my old trumpet came from an assortment box at a musical instrument store. Not sure if they had tiny ones, though.

When doing my carbs I followed the advice to not disturb the butterfly assemblies. Worked for me, but I wasn't painting and prefer the "antique" look of the old aloomineeum.
Excellent example, Steve! I hadn't thought about my days as a band geek, but you're right. The felt washers on the top of the plungers did the same thing; seal against debris. The pistons themselves are lubricated, of course, but I don't recall ever lubricating the button shafts or the felt.

-Deek

Roady

Post by Roady »

Yep.

In fact, if you do get them wet, they're pretty much garbage.

Therefore, you get a spit! valve.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

FirstYearDeek wrote:I know you're all waiting for my update... I want to hold off posting this info until I can be certain that I can get replacement felts for the linkages.

I called our local bearing shop today; the conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi, I was wondering if you can get replacement oiling felts for bushings"
Them: "what's the part number"
Me: "Dunno. It's a part for a carburetor."
Them: "Measure the shaft size and the captive race ID and we'll see what we can come up with"

So I made the measurements today and I'll send them over Monday. They'll probably sit on it until after Christmas, though.

The reason I'm concerned is because I thought I got them out without damaging them, but I noticed this evening, one of them is split in two. They aren't glued in, there's just a little lip that holds it in place, but they're apparently very delicate, or the one that's split was split before.

The last thing I want to do is post some information that's going to assist someone in ruining a set of carbs!

-Deek
Try this mob for the felts.

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Throttle ... s_C680.cfm
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

Great link, Fogey! Thanks a bunch!

McMaster Carr has a nice assortment of felt products, sadly no washers that would work.

I'll stick to it. I expect to hear back from my Bearing supplier on the 5th.

-Deek

heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

somebody mentioned felt from something to do with flower arranging... but obviously not the green hard foam stuff.

can't remember either.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson