Front Engine Renewal Project

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

jondog9
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Front Engine Renewal Project

Post by jondog9 »

Fred Camper wrote:
Whiskerfish wrote:I have a small pair of vice grips and usually they do the job on that particular screw.
Because of the access, the slot will only get you about one half of a rotation. After that, the small vice grip is the only real solution I found helpful. It fought coming out the entire way due to corrosion on most all threads.
That's where I got lucky. I squirted some PB on the backside of that threaded boss the night before. The next day, after grinding the slot, and seating flat-tip screwdriver with a smack of the hammer, the bolt turned out very easily. action1
1979 GL1000
Terry in Australia
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Terry in Australia »

What an excellent write up! My 1987 1200 Interstate is not enjoying our current 100 deg F (+) weather at the moment, when I rode back from the Phillip Island Classic Motorcycle races on Sunday my temp gauge sat on the warmer side of 12 o'clock when at highway speeds, and got right up to nudging the redline in very moderate traffic. (Sunday afternoon shoppers)

Being old and half blind I thought that the expansion tank might need topping up so of course I overfilled it, and when I got home and parked the bike, I had coolant run out over the left muffler. (no catch tank)

I don't normally have any leaks, so I'm assuming that the thermostat may need replacing (I did look at it when I did the engine swap a year ago, but I doubt if I placed it with the "Jiggle Pin" hole at 12 o'clock) and while I'm at it, I'll replace the rad cap and hoses, even though mine still feel quite supple.

The only problem is that we don't have NAPA stores in Australia, is there anyone on this site who is selling the NAPA items in a "Kit"? If so, can some kind soul direct me to him? I just checked David Silver Spares and they want around $50 for the rad cap alone! Thanks in advance, Cheers, Terry. :-D
1986 GL1200i
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

The overflow was likely due to you filling the tank when it was hot.

There are alternate crossover parts that you can use and any good auto parts store should be able to find them for you. Have a browse thru the crossover parts list (you can find it in ShopTalk).
Terry in Australia
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Terry in Australia »

Roady wrote:The overflow was likely due to you filling the tank when it was hot.

There are alternate crossover parts that you can use and any good auto parts store should be able to find them for you. Have a browse thru the crossover parts list (you can find it in ShopTalk).
Thanks Mate, I'll check it out! Cheers, Terry. :-D
1986 GL1200i
Roady

Post by Roady »

Pictures restored in post #1.