(SOLD) Selling my '84 Std. completed project.

Miscellaneous GoldWing Related Parts, and GoldWing for sale.

Moderators: alan hawke, Forum Moderators

John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

(SOLD) Selling my '84 Std. completed project.

Post #1 by John Schmidt » Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 pm

I've been trying to sell it for the last couple months with no luck. Had a handful show interest, three supposedly committed to buying it then the next day I get a "Dear John" email or text backing out. I'm going to try selling it one more time on a couple different forums and if I can't move it, I'll either donate it or tear it down and part it out....neither are what I'd like to do. So here's the deal, with pictures.
I'd like to get at least $2500 but slightly negotiable, I'm unable to deliver so you would have to either pick it up or make shipping arrangements. It started out as an '84 Standard with a blown engine(swallowed valves). Literally, everything is either new or rebuilt from axle to axle....except for the engine, which has also had some updates. I shortened/bobbed the frame behind the seat, added and bobbed a trailer fender and fabricated mounts to allow the rear fender to move with the swingarm. The motor was replaced with a 23k mile '85 fuel injected motor which I converted to use the carbs I had already rebuilt and desmogged(removed the junk underneath the carbs). The injected motors have a 130 higher wattage alternator, all but the headlight is LED so you have plenty of reserve power. The bike starts instantly and runs great, is quite fast & pulls hard with no backfiring or hesitation due to removal of the air valve stuff. I put together a simple luggage rack on the back that also has locking helmet hangers, good for someone in school. It mounts/dismounts with two bolts and two nuts and you're back to the clean bobber look. I have included a picture showing a list of everything done to the bike, I may have missed something but believe this to be quite complete. With the work done on this bike, it should be trouble free for quite some time. The tank is mounted in such a way as to allow access to the air intake filter, fuse box, etc., underneath. When I adapted the tank to this frame, the rear attachment is now bolted to a hinge welded to the frame. After removing the seat, remove the front tank bolt and simply tip the tank up vertical. With the new tank, I removed the OEM overflow and attached the polished SS tube overflow seen on the right side of the radiator. The transparent tubing leading to the radiator lets you see the level of coolant in the overflow. The voltage sensing relay referred to in the New Items list near the bottom was added for the sole purpose of better control on charging from the regulator. With a voltage reading direct from the battery, the regulator won't tend to over/undercharge. One final item left off the "new" list....thermostat. I got this bike as a basket case for the sole purpose of giving me something to do since I'm my wife's caretaker. It has served that purpose well and it's time to move on. Thanks for at least looking.

My direct email: stuffy402@gmail.com(no longer aol.com), phone # is on the engine receipt.

Last edited by John Schmidt on Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image

desertrefugee
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Selling my '84 Std. completed project.

Post #2 by desertrefugee » Tue May 08, 2018 9:57 pm

Sheesh. Heckuva deal. I am really surprised it hasn't sold by now. Gonna cross-reference this on the Valkyrie board.

<EDIT: Guess I should ask if you've posted it there, John. I bet there might be some interest.>
'97 Valkyrie, '79 CBX-Z, '78 GL1000

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post #3 by John Schmidt » Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Are you going to make it to InZane? Doesn't look like I'll make it, can't find anyone to stay with my wife for nine days while I'm gone. I told Willow I wanted to ride...not trailer, the Valk up there. Said this is my 80th year and it's an ego thing. lolol

Besides, it's only 720 miles one way from Orlando.

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post #4 by ericheath » Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 pm

I’d ride the heck out of that.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi

John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post #5 by John Schmidt » Tue May 08, 2018 10:46 pm

ericheath wrote:I’d ride the heck out of that.

I ride it when I get a chance, also have the Valkyrie that I use for more than running errands. The 1200 is a great "go fer" bike, I just don't get much of a chance to get out these days.

desertrefugee
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post #6 by desertrefugee » Wed May 09, 2018 12:16 am

John Schmidt wrote:Are you going to make it to InZane? Doesn't look like I'll make it, can't find anyone to stay with my wife for nine days while I'm gone. I told Willow I wanted to ride...not trailer, the Valk up there. Said this is my 80th year and it's an ego thing. lolol

Besides, it's only 720 miles one way from Orlando.

Naw. Headed to Montana. Yippy-yi-o-kay-yay!
'97 Valkyrie, '79 CBX-Z, '78 GL1000

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Return to “For Sale”