Valk Build/Mod Thread: Closer And Closer

Area for discussion of the Honda Valkyrie

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Valk Build/Mod Thread: Closer And Closer

Post by Lucien Harpress »

So while I'm messing with emblems, I decided to pick up a set of these things as well. I'm about 90% positive I'm going to put these on, but I figure I'd ride around without them for a little bit, just to be sure.

1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Lucien Harpress wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:45 pm So while I'm messing with emblems, I decided to pick up a set of these things as well. I'm about 90% positive I'm going to put these on, but I figure I'd ride around without them for a little bit, just to be sure.
I like them
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

It's been a minute since I posted an update. Too much riding and other projects, I suppose. That's not a bad problem to have, of course. In any case, a couple of developments.

-I figured out my tank knee pads. It's not the ones I posted before, but might be even cooler. We'll get there.

-A bigger deal? After multiple rounds of testing out various different configurations, I think I FINALLY settled on my final gauge layout.

Ignore the stock gauges, obviously. The only thing I need to figure out is where to place 6 indicator lights (turn signal, neutral, high beam, oil pressure, coolant temp. warning, and kickstand warning), but that shouldn't be too hard. I'd love to run them in the headlight bucket, but it all depends on the angle.

Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Been a minute since I updated. First off, minor change- gauge plan is COMPLETELY different. I've changed it up like three times since the last post, and I haven't locked it down yet, so we'll see.

Major update: the handlebars. I've never been completely happy with the fix I came up with for my handlebars. The hand location was pretty good, and the look was... okay. But the added pivoting riser solution was never very elegant, and always struck me as a bit of a bodge-job. Finding a good set of bars for this bike is nearly impossible (1" bar diameter coupled with a MONSTER pullback required), so for the time being I broke down and grabbed a set of stock bars.

I'm... not sure yet. The position is different, but I'm sure it'll be okay. It's fixed all the problems I had with the middle, but now I like the outer portions less. In any case, I'm going to ride it a while, see if it grows on me. Barring this, my only other viable option to getting me closer to a look I like (namely, lower and flatter) is a set of beach bars, but those are even wider than these. Not to mention the cost upwards of a couple hundred dollars- quite a stretch for a test.

I'll keep an eye out at swap meets for bars that may be better, but that's back burner for now. HOPEFULLY I can get the gauges and headlight figured out 100% this winter, so we'll see.

EDIT: Never mind, I hate it. I did one ride with them, but I'm REALLY not feeling it. They're too big, they're too wide, they ruin the lines of the bike, and I'm not a fan.

I think I'm going to try to mix up my old risers, but the old bars are definitely going back on eventually.