Trailer wiring

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trailer wiring

Post by hoganJr »

I hope this is a valid topic. I'm betting many of you folks have alot of trailering experience. I have a '91 Toyota Tundra with a round 7 pin trailer connector. I use it to tow a vintage camper with a flat 4. I have been using an off the shelf adapter. Lately I have been having some wire connection problems that I want to solve by using a waterproof junction box. I see where I can buy a box that comes with an 8 foot cable with a 7 pin connector pre-wired to the posts in the box.
Can I just connect my 4 trailer wires to 4 specific posts in the box and leave the other 3 (trailer brakes, aux.power, and reverse lights?) open?
What I think I am trying to accomplish is to do in the junction box what the adapter does, but I am a little confused about what all seven of the wires do and if 4 of them correspond 1:1 with the four trailer wires.
I could probably fix the problems I am having by doing a real good solder and shrink wrap job, but I struggle with my soldering and I would still have the adapter, which I imagine is going to fail some day.
I am never going to have brakes on this trailer, but the other power sources could potentially be useful and the box with the seven pin connector and cable seems like a real nice product.
Does all this make any sense? Can someone please help me?
Thank you,
Hoganjr
1991 GL1500
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Trailer wiring

Post by desertrefugee »

You could do exactly as you suggest if needed. Not voodoo. Brakes and and aux power are the real differences round to flat. But the pig tail and dielectric grease should serve just fine indefinitely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_c ... th_America
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.