Damn I Hate houses on Slabs!

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Damn I Hate houses on Slabs!

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yes Dean. Problem is that the rest of the house works so i just have to find where this 2 inch line ties into the main trunk.

Yesterday I drilled and hammered and drilled and hammered and could not get the floor open in the next area we wanted. Worked until my arms were numb. Today I rented a jack hammer again and opened up a 7 foot trough in the dining room where the plumber told me to. Below the slab I hand dug down about a foot, and then probed in the dirt another 8-10 inches with a screwdriver. I found 2 supply pipes but no drain. In certain areas there is a wire mesh rebar and that screwed up my metal detector readings. The house is all bare cement floors so other than having to fix it chopping up the floors is not a big deal The toilet is just behind that wall to the left so we though sure the line coming from the right would go straight to it but we was wrong!
0916181443a[1].jpg
0916181443a[1].jpg (107.43 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Sent a message to my Plumber buddy and hope to hear from him before I take the next step. About the only thing I can think of now is to run a powered snake again and see if it can be heard by a second person to find the blockage. Might need to source a stethoscope lolol lolol

Trying to keep positive about this but I hurt all over!! Wanky Wanky crying1 crying1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

So the weirdest thing happened. Over there today to cleanup a bit and put some more leveler on the cement patches on the floors. I have pretty much accepted that this will not be done before my hunting trips start next weekend. Put the dishwasher back in place and reconnect all that just to get it out of the way more than anything else. Had to rinse my hands so I used the sink right there. It backed up in fairly short order and then started going down. The more I used it the faster it went down. I turned on the hot and let it go. About 5 minutes later it broke free! It was like someone removed a plug.

I let it run and walked all around the house expecting to see water bubbling up through the floor somewhere. I did not find any. So I went out to the front yard and opened the sewer cleanout and stuck my ear down there and sure enough I could hear water running out to the street :shock: :shock: :shock:

I let the water run for near an hour then I ran a cycle on the dishwasher just for good measure. The drain is clear. I have a couple of issues to resolve but the big deal is FIXED!!

time for a drink! dancr dancr dancr dancr

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

You must have set out the right manna for the gnomes... lolol lolol lolol
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
FrontRunner
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by FrontRunner »

Feeling the pain here as well. Drain problem in my kitchen which was added to the house by my grandfather in the late 70's-early 80's. Water in the basement which is not near the kitchen, looking through the crawlspace under the dining room I see water running out along the wall between the dining room and the kitchen when the sink is draining or the washer spins out, the washer is tied into the drain under the kitchen sink. The kitchen is on a concrete slab..... Memories of reading this topic cam back. Well fast forward to present. I'm on day 2 of jack hammering the floor. 6"+ of concrete with rebar. The drain pipe for the kitchen is so brittle I can break it with 1 finger. I'm about 2/3 of the way done with the jack hammering then I'll be off the slab and into a crawl space. Not sure what type of plastic the pipe is, except the wrong kind. ;) Knowing grandpa it was what he had or got for cheap. After repairing the drain and replacing the flooring with something she'll be happy with, some car repairs from last month, then getting through Thanksgiving and Christmas $$$ I hope to someday see a few dollars to invest in GL therapy.
1978 GL1000 My 1st GL Learning experience
2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
FrontRunner
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by FrontRunner »

Once I get past the slab, There is about a 3 foot wide hall way between the kitchen and the bathroom. both of those are over a crawlspace so I hope the job gets easier when I get to that part.
2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
FrontRunner
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by FrontRunner »

Had to go to work for a couple of day's. Left early today to continue the project. I have found the end of the brittle pipe!. Mercifully the next section of pipe is not the same stuff (I don't know what type of plastic it is but it is not the same.). I have some digging to do to get the trench cleaned out but I'm done with the jackhammer. I've reached the end of the concrete anyway but a few inches from the end I came to a coupling. I'm gonna dig out enough to move the coupling into the crawlspace and then connect to that pipe. Then run everything new through the trench and connect to the sink.
2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

That is basically what my issue was as well. The addition off the kitchen had a cheap drain pipe and it failed completely. it then pushed mud down into the heavy duty drains so even after I fixed the problem it was still blocked.

Knock on wood the Lady says it is still draining good. Only issue I have is gurgling in the sink when the washing machine in the Garage is draining. I installed one of those inside Vents on top of the pipe under the cabinet but that does not appear to be doing the trick so i will have to tie into the old Vent system when I get some time.

Wish you luck!!

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I had a small leak in our house in Oklahoma (has a crawl space). For the life of me I could not figure out where a the small amount of water was coming from. It was a room near the laundry room. Under the house I could see it was coming from the laundry room. So I tore apart the sheet rock to look at the water and drain connections to the washer... NOPE! It was near an outside wall and gutter drain so I cleaned that up.... NOPE! finally Beth said "what is that sound behind the fridge in the laundry room and there was a TINY mist coming off the water/ice line
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS

Return to “Trains, Planes, and Automobiles”