Damn I Hate houses on Slabs!

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Damn I Hate houses on Slabs!

Post by Whiskerfish »

RAT wrote:Hope this works out .... way beyond my supervising skills though ....

Gord anim-cheers1
Kind of doubt that! I have seen you very skillfully supervise some pretty intricate stuff anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Wow, what a nightmare. I actually like slabs. The problem with slabs is that people (contractors) don't build them properly. I deal with alot of slabs for greenhouses and see stupid stuff all the time. It is actually very easy to do it right. First is to make certain there is good drainage around the perimeter. Then pour the slab on top of 2" rigid foam that is sitting on a vapor barrier. Also, if I can get to the job before the slab is poured I instruct the contractor to include fiber in the mix. While most use rebar or wire mesh, fiber is the very best thing you can do in addition to the rebar and such. A slab with fiber in the mix will not crack, period.And, fiber is cheap. I also make them seal the concrete before any flooring is applied. All of these simple things will result in a slab that is not an energy suck, doesn't crack, and won't release humidity while it takes the next ten years to cure. Lastly, I make them take a picture of the plumbing and electrical layout that is going to be under the concrete, and ALL plastic lines must have a detect wire, so a metal detector can find the lines later if needed. The main reason I like slabs is for moisture (none gets under the house), heat efficiency (insulated slab acts like a thermal mass to mitigate extremes in temp) and rodents (never have to worry about the little bastards).
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

I wonder if a macerator from an upflush toilet like they use in a basement could be used to move the sink outflow where it needs to go?

I cannnot tell from your drawing which direction the drain water is flowing. Where does the main drain exit the house?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I like slabs as well, but plumbing has to be done right, period, exclamation point. I like slabs here because everywhere here there’s water 2’-8’ below ground. And if it’s 8’ , a wet spell will happen where it’s 2’ for a while. Properly poured walls, with proper drainage and good sump pumps can work. Power outages happen. The ice storm of 97 soaked tons of basements in NW Minnesota because they lost power for ten days. In the frozen north, rebar is mandatory, and everything here will crack. Period. Fiber doesn’t cut it. What cuts it is - cutting it. Yes I’ve had a little Cap’n Morgan and it’s only 1:00pm. Cutting lines per code eliminates the look of jagged cracks and creates the crack. I told the guys who poured my extremely out of square garage not to bother with cutting lines. But I personally tied the or re-tied all joints, made sure spacing was 18” OC, and that the perimeter and footing and curb was all solid. I also make sure that all bar is suspended in the concrete. Those little plastic rebar holders can top over easily if the guys pouring aren’t careful, so I watch like a hawk. If it tips over, I go grab it and pick it up. It cracked as soon as it got cold. They always do here, but with a decent perimeter all tied in and a grid of properly sized rebar, it can’t go anywhere. I will be shocked if the cracks ever open.

I can’t tell you how many slabs I’ve pulled up where the rebar is non-existent, or all rusted out in the dirt. The same with wire mesh.

One of these get togethers, I’ll get to meet a few of you. When you see how I walk, you’ll know I poured a few thousand yards.

I’m not saying this to diss Sunnbobbs comments about fiber. You have to know your zone. People who leave a house with a basement here unheated for a cold winter usually come back to cracked walls. Even 8’ down with good footings and rebar. Freezing ground is powerful and expands.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

raiddrten wrote:I wonder if a macerator from an upflush toilet like they use in a basement could be used to move the sink outflow where it needs to go?

I cannnot tell from your drawing which direction the drain water is flowing. Where does the main drain exit the house?
Inside the Garage on the left side is the washer and dryer so I know part of the drain system is there and I "suspect" the Kitchen drain runs to that. It exits out the bottom of the drawing toward the street but I have not tried to find it yet. I have numerous other projects there and need to give her some time before I mention tackling this again. She had a plumber out a couple years ago and he threw out a number of $10,000 and she is scared of that. Pretty sure even with tool rentals and such I can do it for a lot less than a grand. When I do the first steps will be a camera to evaluate and then a metal detector to map it out then decide on a course of action. Probably going to be a few months before I really get into it.

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

Eric, I was recommending fiber in addition to rebar.. :)

1978 Learning Experience
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

anim-cheers1 first time I saw it, I thought some had decided to dispose of a few cats.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Well we have our own slab story. The relative who found the $300.00 1976GL1000 for me has a bathroom that stinks to high heaven because the tub is without a trap. A toilet sits in one corner and we discovered a trench that held the sink drain. The sink drain ran the the main drain line behind the toilet and the installer cut a small square hole in the main drain and butted the sink drain to the hole and covered the joint with concrete. :IDTS:

We don't even know where the old bathtub drains to :lol: We wrecked out the tub and will replace it with a shower with an integral waterproof membrane. Just easier to do with the custom size requirements of the new shower pan.

I have a decent size Hilti percussion drill and we walked across that floor like a boss drilling a series of 1.5" holes through that slab at about one hole in thirty seconds. What machine! The concrete was so pulverized that we left the reinforcing mat intact so the new concrete will bind with the old. Four hours and the prep is done for all new DWV pipe to the toilet, sink, and shower.
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

I still have not tackled this but it is on my list. A lady I talk to every day (school crossing guard where I walk my dogs) is married to an independent plumber. I think I will talk to him about renting his services for a day just so I have my head right before I start. Have him help me run the camera and metal detector and make sure my plan is solid before I start tearing stuff up. I been using up all her money as fast as she makes it so may have to take a break and let her save up some first.

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

1978 Learning Experience
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Will look tonight. Headed out the door for a dog adoption event.

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I ad one house with a slab.... the plumber got the measurement off for the half-bath so that area got jack-hammered. In Tulsa there is so much clay people have to water the house perimeter during hot spells... and then there are the contractors who merely lay the rebar on the dirt and pour over it :evil:

Our house in Claremore had a crawl space and it makes it nice to make changes and the like
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Well I could not stand it any longer and tore into this yesterday. I started breaking the cement by hand and got stupid lucky and got the right spot. I used a hand held hammer drill and drilled a bunch of holes to give me an outline then broke it up with a sledge. Problem is the entire bottom of the one pipe section is completely rotted out. It is about 8 foot long from where a breakfast nook was added on out the the sink. The main drain line it hooks up to so far seems OK. So I do not know if it was just a substandard pipe or what just yet. Once I get a hunk of it out I will know more. Going to run a new 2" PVC and fernco it to the main Drain. I got the dishwasher and sink and cabinets out yesterday so today I get the jack hammer and open up a trough to lay the new line.

Will try and get some pics up tonight after I get done.

Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

What was left of the old Pipe
0910181409a.jpg
0910181409a.jpg (123.88 KiB) Viewed 242 times
New pipe, yes it breaks bubble.
0910181450.jpg
0910181450.jpg (117.7 KiB) Viewed 242 times
And the rough coat of cement
0910181605.jpg
0910181605.jpg (108.82 KiB) Viewed 242 times
0910181606.jpg
0910181606.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 242 times
Go back today and reinstall the cabinet and sink. Then I can see if my work paid off. Depending on the Storm In a few days after the cement is fully cured I will use levelite and bring the repaired floor up the quarter inch or so it needs.

Sure hope this works and the problem does not extend further under the house. Where that fernco is I put a 15 foot snake into the main line and it seemed to be clear and solid. The pipe section that failed was an addition off the back of the house.

raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Good job! action1 Probably the hardest part was getting started facing an unknown outcome. If you would have known how well it would go, you probably would have done it sooner. anim-cheers1

Return to “Trains, Planes, and Automobiles”