Started off as a nice simple job

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Started off as a nice simple job

Post by Whiskerfish »

Go over to a Lady Friend's place and repair some sheetrock damage from the dogs. The first couple went easy as pie. The 3rd area was a destroyed door jam and rock next to it. Got the rock replaced and the jam will have to wait for me to bring over wood working tools so I can build a entirely new jam.
The last one was between the washer and the hot water tank in the garage. 4 pieces of rock and on the last one, that is when the crap hit the fan. Yep put a screw right into a hot water supply line, sure did. Not sure I have ever done anything as brain dead as this in my life!! Holy crap my day went to hell real quick. Not my house so I don't know where the shutoff is. I hit the shutoff on top of the Hot water tank and it does NOTHING! Steaming hot Water spraying all over the damn garage!! The lady that owns the house is at work so I call her to try and find out where the shut off is while I am holding a 5 gallon bucket over the spray and running it outside to dump it every couple minutes.

I find out there isn't one except at the street. So I run out there and find the cover overgrown with 10 years of grass and dirt get it off and then have to dig down through 6 inches of mud and dirt to find the valve. Finally got the thing shut off.

What a damn mess!!! Of course I came over to do sheetrock work so I don't have any plumbing tools with me. Clean up the worst of it then run an hour (round trip) to my house and get my torch and such. Luckily the repair went without a hitch and I got the water back on. Then as I am getting ready to leave I seen the water in the front room of the house. It is a slab house and the water went under the wall from the garage into the front room. I mopped up over 2 gallons in her front room! Thank God she did not have carpet!!

So tomorrow I have to go back over there and replace the 3 faulty shutoff valves then I can get started on the sheetrock repairs again!!

I just might have a drink tonight!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
CYBORG

Re: Started off as a nice simple job

Post by CYBORG »

What a day!!!! Thanks for sharing.....now mine doesn't seem so bad :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Hahahaha. A day in the life of a repairman!! Did you open all the sink faucets and tub and stuff to relieve pressure?

Quick! out the screw back in! LOL
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

Wow! I feel your pain!
Being a "tile setter"/ "bath remodeler" (knocking on wood) I can honestly say I have yet to have that happen (YET... You're Eligible Too). I did help a guy "rerock" an entire first floor utility room (including the ceiling) as a result of him punching a hole in a supply line in the master bath (second floor, immediately above the utility room). What a flippin mess that was!
Well WF, at least it was the end of a year!
Would hate to start a new year that way...

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

sunnbobb wrote:Hahahaha. A day in the life of a repairman!! Did you open all the sink faucets and tub and stuff to relieve pressure?

Quick! out the screw back in! LOL
Yep sure did. Actually disconnected the hot water hose from the back of the washer and stuck it in the drain pipe for the washer and opened the valve wide open. That helped a Lot!

Luckily she has been telling me for months that her plumbing was jacked and needed many repairs. Texted with her last night and she seemed to shrug this episode off. Will have to shut down the water to the whole house again to replace those faulty valves so I will see how her mood is in a couple hours lolol lolol lolol

Tell you one thing I am not charging enough for this level of stress!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

rookie. :mrgreen:
when you cut a hole in the hot water and cold water line while replacing a bathroom sink with a recip saw get back to me! :shock:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)