Quick oil change businesses?

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Quick oil change businesses?

Post by Gowing »

At a large valvoline busy oil change business in California I was told by a twenty something tech that
my wifes 16 outlander needed to have almost a full quart added above the second mark on the dip stick.
I repeated back to him that “you mean you think I need an additional .9 of a quart added above the second
“Top” mark on the dipstick” he said yes, the new 4 cylinders require more oil than the manufacturers say.
And nothing I said, made any difference. He then said if you don’t allow me to put extra oil in your car then
we are not responsible for any damage. I told him to show me the dipstick, he did, it was at the top mark.
I told him to replace dipstick, close hood. He walked off in disgust with almost an extra quart in a clear milk jug, that I paid for. I’ve read since, that this is common?
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
CYBORG

Re: Quick oil change businesses?

Post by CYBORG »

Gowing wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:54 pm At a large valvoline busy oil change business in California I was told by a twenty something tech that
my wifes 16 outlander needed to have almost a full quart added above the second mark on the dip stick.
I repeated back to him that “you mean you think I need an additional .9 of a quart added above the second
“Top” mark on the dipstick” he said yes, the new 4 cylinders require more oil than the manufacturers say.
And nothing I said, made any difference. He then said if you don’t allow me to put extra oil in your car then
we are not responsible for any damage. I told him to show me the dipstick, he did, it was at the top mark.
I told him to replace dipstick, close hood. He walked off in disgust with almost an extra quart in a clear milk jug, that I paid for. I’ve read since, that this is common?
another reason to chNGE YOUR OWN OIL. Or at least let a trusted friend do it....in my opinion
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
twooldwings
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by twooldwings »

"I’ve read since, that this is common?"

do you mean that it is a common "upsell" at oil change joints ?
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

I have no published proof, just my experience. And a few comments I’ve read on social media.😳
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

I have never heard any good experiences with those jiffy lube type places..
doesn't mean there isn't but I've heard some very crazy stories..
stripped drain plugs, drain plugs finger tight, coming loose on the road...oil filters torqued to 2000 foot pounds.. :shock:
I change my own oil.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
twooldwings
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by twooldwings »

a lifetime ago i took my car to a k-mart (yeah, i know, but the price was incredibly low) for a lube/oil/filter. when they were done it was over-filled by a quart (hey, at least they didn't charge me for the extra quart) and the grease nipples were still completely caked with grime; untouched. changed my own oil ever since.
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by toomanybikes »

I bought a brand new Honda CR-V in 2002. Took it to Valvoline for the first oil change.

A few days later it crapped out on the highway and needed three days of repairs at the dealer who said they used the wrong filter.

Then the Valvoline mgr tried to argue his way out of returning $30 based on their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

No I didn't go back ever again.
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

I purchased a oil change voucher for a friend's birthday......when she opened the birthday card with the voucher inside , she looked at me and said" you hate me or something" ??? what? If I take my car to them, anything can happen with them....you know. :lol:
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I'm not a fan of them eather. But then, I can do my own :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

In a hurry I took my 93 STS to Wallyworld in August for a quick oil change. Noticed a continually growing puddle under where I parked. Jacked it up to see and the filter was barely touching. They charged me for an extra quart of oil even though they post a flat rate for all cars. If I had been thinking I would have asked “If a car takes four or five quarts, do you reduce the price?”

Hope to keep doing my own.

Most fast oil change places pay the workers a commission for additional lubricants they can sell, so they greedy ones check transmission and power steering fluids for a few extra $$ per pay period. I wonder how many get over filled?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Like the old days when the service station actually checked your oil level when they were pumping your gas …
yeah, I’m that old … in those days the scam was to put their thumb on the dipstick to prevent it from going all the way in and then show you the 'low' level on the stick so they could sell you an extra quart … for .50 cents.

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I always bring my cars and vans to the main dealer for services. I won't let them change consumables like wiper blades or tyres, I prefer to look after that myself. I also like to get the service book stamped for every service. It does not cost any more money over here to get the main dealers to do the service. For example last week I got my 2020 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI serviced it cost €179.99, I know it was basically an oil and filters change, but if I went to any other place to get this done the cost would be very little different. I got my wifes Skoda serviced 6 weeks ago it cost 149.99 Over here not having a service record at main dealerships leaves you on soft ground if there is a warranty claim. I had a 2008 Opel Vivaro 2.0 CDi van which I bought new, and always got serviced at the right service interval at the main dealer. The engines in these were built by Renault and they had a problem with fuel injectors. They failed on mine in 2014 and even thought the van was 6 years old with 130,000Km it was done under warranty. All because of my service history.
Only my opinion. I do have an old 2006 Opel Movano 2.5 CDI which is also built by Renault and I do the work on this myself. I think the warranty has expired on it now. My bikes of course, I always do myself.