GL1000 and GL1100 CARB REBUILDING

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Pistol Pete

Moderator: Whiskerfish

pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

GL1000 and GL1100 CARB REBUILDING

Post by pistolpete »

If any of you are planning on rebuilding your set of carbs, here are 10 good reasons why you should let PPS do the job for you, even if you are a seasoned builder.
http://www.oldwings.com/udoit.html

I would like to supplement this with additional things that only PPS does when rebuilding the set.

1) Replacement shaft seals: This is done to provide our customers with a carb set that allows quicker starting from day one of their return and for many years afterward. Some will say that this is not a needed step but let me explain why our seals are very integral to a better rebuild.
PPS seals are engineered to seal pretty much last "forever" once they are installed. They also provide an additional service to the set. The seals will expand in very small amounts that will keep up with any wear on them. Because they are able to do this they also help to hold the shaft central to the bearing hole when the throttle plates are in any position. While others say this is also not necessary, we have found that carb set runs much better throughout the throttle range. My Nellie Bel, the one that I purchased back in August of 1975, has had the seals since 2002 and she still runs as well as any of the rest of my bikes.

2) Since 2004 we have rebuilt well over 1000 sets of 1000/1100 carb sets combined. In the beginning we had a few come back because of small issues. Overall for the 1000 sets we have a satisfaction rate of 99%. Currently our success rate is 100% as we know the best way to rebuild them.

3) On site Engine sync/bal is our absolute best way to deliver your set with 100% assurance that they will start your engine the first time and every time thereafter. Our customers tell us things like "This is the best this bike has ever ran and I have owned it for years." or "You guys are awesome." or "I knew I made the right choice in sending them to PPS." Your set will never leave our shop unless they run perfectly, of this you have our assurance.

4) Pricing: In 2004 our price was $365.00 for a set of 1000 carbs and $405.00 for a set of 1100's. If you go to our site http://www.oldwings.com and click on the services icon, you will see that for ten years the prices have risen but not as much as it could have for the best rebuild possible. Our pricing is simply the lowest available for the work that is performed. Also NGW members receive an additional discount for choosing PPS.

5) Cleaning method: We utilize two separate ways to clean your set, both of which are approved by Randakk. Your carb set will be clean when you receive them with absolutely no injury to any component caused by a non-approved method of cleaning.

So if you are considering a carb rebuild of your early GW, give us some consideration. I am sure you will be well pleased.

Thank you for looking.
Pistol and Moose
Pistol
mcgovern61
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: GL1000 and GL1100 CARB REBUILDING

Post by mcgovern61 »

A question that I didn't really ponder when restoring my 1100 and having my carbs rebuilt by Pistol Pete 5 years ago, is there any long term maintenance that needs to be done on the carbs at this point? The bike starts and runs like a clock.
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

mcgovern61 wrote:A question that I didn't really ponder when restoring my 1100 and having my carbs rebuilt by Pistol Pete 5 years ago, is there any long term maintenance that needs to be done on the carbs at this point? The bike starts and runs like a clock.
Pete will have his advice, I'm sure. After having him rebuild mine 2 years ago, I:

1. Make sure my tanks interior is spotless. EvapoRust works miracles and is SO easy to use.
2. Keep the tank full when parked to prevent rust.
3. Use StaBil Marine in every tank.
4. Change my filter every year, regardless of mileage.
5. Sync my carbs every year, regardless of mileage.
6. Check my tube clamps every year.

Like yours, there running great and, every time I pull away from a light, I've never once missed my 'flat spot'.
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

I totally support Placervilles list of 6 items with a possible deviation:

While I whole heartedly support the use of Marine grade Sta-Bil, I have a really cool way of being sure that you always arrive back home from a ride with a full tank of fuel with Sta-Bil in the tank as well.
All of our carb customers receive a free .6oz. decanter with easy instructions. The decanter is small and will fit near the filler cap just to the left and forward.
The thought behind this is to fill the tank before you get back home from a trip and empty the decanter filled with .5oz. of Marine grade Sta-Bil. By the time you get to the barn the Sta-Bil is thoroughly mixed in the fresh fuel and ready for the next trip. The ride can come tomorrow or 3 months from now but the fuel is protected. Simply fill the decanter just before you thank your ride for getting you home safely, and you are good to go for the next trip.

If any NGW member wants one, I will send it with instructions for PayPal amount of $5.00 including USPS Priority shipping USA only please.
In the subject line "Sta-Bil"
Email me at petesgl@comcast.net

Pistol
Pistol
wingspan
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by wingspan »

I got my carbs done by Pistol Pete and I have never heard her purr like this before. Not only was he accommodating turning my two carbs in different states of disrepair into a working unit but did it quickly and professionally. Thank you sir for your great work.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

action1 action1 action1 action1 action1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
mcgovern61
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mcgovern61 »

5 years later and Pistol Pete and Moose did a fantastic job going through my carbs!!

First start-up on a cold winters night:

Thanks again!! action1