Wing sync cheat

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Wing sync cheat

Post by mikenixon »

This is one of the career mechanic's stock in trade. This has been in my toolbox for over 40 years. Doubtless many others have thought of this. When the bike has engine guards and they need to be removed in order to get the sync tools onto the manifolds, this little trick saves time and headache. All it is is a main jet and a properly-fitting hose. The hose connects to the sync tool hose.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Wing sync cheat

Post by 5speed »

necessity..the mother of invention.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

5speed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:04 pm necessity..the mother of invention.
I've heard that..... but I always thought it should be .. Invention.. the mother of necessity lolol lolol lolol
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

I only have one motorcycle. The '75 GL1000 trike.
It has an engine guard that tightly blocks the #s 1 and 2 synchronizer ports.
Here is my remedy. Bought the four 90degree fittings from a seller on ebay. China. The nuts and red vinyl caps from a hardware store.
20200604_170801_resized.jpg
20200604_170801_resized.jpg (105.85 KiB) Viewed 812 times
In addition to serving as a synchronizer hose hook up, they also provide a little entertainment.
If I shut the warm engine down with the key switch, then accidentally turn the key on and back off again, any cylinder with an open intake valve will abruptly pop the fitting''s red vinyl cap off. Gone. Haven't found one yet! :shock:
I got wise and keep a small supply in the tool tray.
Have also had a few inquiries about their purpose.
That's where the nitrous is injected.... ;)
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I have a set of mercury Carb Stix that was given to me by a mechanic a friend who had upgraded to gauges but they came without adapters. Before the Internet finding things like that wasn't easy or cheap so I drilled through a couple of appropriate sized bolts and was able to use them on the 2 cylinder bike I had then. When I got my first 'Wing inertia took over and instead of drilling through more bolts (not easy with a hand held electric drill) I figured out that I could use the adapters to connect 2 of the hoses to the carbs on one side of the engine and balance them against each other, then move the adapters and hoses to the other side and balance those carbs against each other and finally move one adapter & hose back to the first side and balance the left & right sides against each other.

Years later I had started using the lathe at work for personal projects so I drilled through more bolts, picked the best 4 and this time ran nuts onto them and soldered them in place and turned the edges of the heads so they are more like hose barbs. The resulting adapters are about 30mm or so long overall and the engine guards don't interfere with using them (I really need to remember to take pics of them one day).