Tuning

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Tuning

Post by mikenixon »

Servicing a GL1000 this fine afternoon. Customer wants it to run better than it does. Checking cylinder compression as a first step, with anticipation it will be low because it usually is in these machines, and counting on some fine tuning of valves and ignition and a carb rebuild. Fun project... Whoa! 200 psi! That's some compression! Wait! There can't be that much carbon in there! Hmm, if I didn't know better... Off come the belt covers and aha...! Both cams are advanced. Unusual. Retarded, you expect. One, that's typical. But both advanced? That means the engine didn't do this, a human did it. And what about the guy that just "tuned" this bike? Well, this has been a fruitful afternoon. Now I know why the compression is so high and more importantly, I can give the customer a good prognosis because now I know why two weeks ago another mechanic had the carbs off the bike three times. Being methodical has paid off once again.
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tuning

Post by 05c50 »

Back to basics, be methodical in your diagnosis and set to factory specifications and you'll repair most of the machines you work on. I was in the auto repair business when electronic ignition and feed back carbs were in their infancy and it scared many older mechanics. Many times they would be intimidated by the electronics and forget to do the basics. After a reminder they usually repaired the problem.

.......Paul
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Yeah, the basics will never go out of style. :)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I often tell the residents.... when all else fails, look at the patient!
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Or listen even ....

Gord :IDTS:
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

eh?
Chris in TN
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Chris in TN »

rcmatt007 wrote:I often tell the residents.... when all else fails, look at the patient!
This sort of thing happens in most fields. Back in my aircraft electronics days in the USAF I often noticed the guys spending a lot of time in the shop theorizing about what might be causing a write up before heading out to the flight line. Now, a little reflection on possible causes is good in that you can decide what test equipment to haul out to the aircraft but plainly, with only the pilots written note about the problem we would not have a lot of info. That didn't stop the discussions and I frequently would point out to my guys that 5 minutes on the aircraft seeing what really was going on was a lot more effective than 5 hours of theory next to the coffee pot.

Or, as you put it, when all else fails actually go look at the problem.

MSgt Chris (Ret'd)