The importance of maintenance

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

The importance of maintenance

Post by mikenixon »

I have a machine in the shop right now that has no oil in the engine (and what little there is is pitch black) and shows many other signs of having had little to no maintenance over its 32,000 miles and almost 40-year existence. Can you say, "rough"? Totally neglected.

I suspect most are aware that vintage bikes require more maintenance than do newer models. But you may not realize that they do so by design, not simply due to age. Take a look at your 1970s Honda owner's booklet. Late 60s to early 70s maintenance intervals were just 3,000 miles apart, and 80s bikes only double that. Yup. A little shocking in the present powersports climate of 25,000-mile valve adjustments, don't you think?

But it's real, and it's critical. And what I am planning to tell this customer who is no doubt going to be very surprised when hearing the estimate, is this: Think of it this way. The money you saved over those years not doing necessary maintenance you now get to spend all at once. It's almost vehicular Karma. But whatever you label it, is that any way to treat a motorcycle? And this customer will likely have to spend a little more than the equivalent of all those years. You can almost bet on it.

I'm afraid many riders view maintenance as something performed only when something goes wrong. Maintenance by crisis, in other words. Perhaps we have been lulled into this complacency by the absence of the kinds of troubles cars and motorcycles used to give a couple generations ago; their dramatically decreased incidents of breakdown. Their utter reliability. To the point we have learned to treat vehicles as disposable. They virtually are, you know. Use 'em til they start costing you and replace 'em. Unfortunately, however true this may be for 2019 cars, it just doesn't work for 1970s and 1980s motorcycles.

I didn't start writing this article thinking of Robert Pirsig but now suddenly I am remembering him and his maintenance as meditative catharsis ethos. As a lifelong mechanic I have a strong empathy for something like that philosophy, but I would rather instead call it taking responsibility for the reality of entropy; heading off at the pass problems that will surely come if they are not anticipated. Why the word "preventative" is often used when describing necessary maintenance.

If you're riding your vintage -- almost antique -- motorcycle at anything approaching regularity, 3,000 to 6,000 -mile intervals spell virtually a lifestyle of maintenance. While that fact was assumed without a second thought by riders of the 60s and 70s and 80s, we of the current era must work at it; be proactive and intentional; make more of an effort in this day in which the maintenance ethic has, very demonstably, been lost.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: The importance of maintenance

Post by 77Gowing »

You sir are an excellent writer. I enjoy you posts.
And thank you especially for this article. I've about 1000 miles on my returned 77GW. It's my first bike and first bike I've ever worked on. Yes you are correct I was endanger of being lulled into security by my late model autos about maintenance.
But, I know some who like to fix it till it is broken too.

Again, great article. I'm going to review the recommended maintenance schedule and see if I am missing anything. Btw thus far she runs like a swiss watch.
Kenny
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

I sell and service new vehicles and have people tell me all the time they wish they were simple like the old days. I then get out the owners manual for my 1966 Volkswagen and go over the service intervals. Change oil every 3,000 miles. Adjust valves and brakes every 6,000. 12,000 miles full tune-up (points, plugs etc.). Make seasonal adjustments to choke and carb. Plus lube everything at each service interval. In this day of 100,000 mile tune ups and and self adjusting systems no one would put up with a vehicle requiring that much time in the shop. Almost every air cooled VW I get in my personal shop is in the same condition as the bike in your example, vintage vehicles require vintage maintenance schedules!
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Bugdaddy66 wrote:I sell and service new vehicles and have people tell me all the time they wish they were simple like the old days. I then get out the owners manual for my 1966 Volkswagen and go over the service intervals. Change oil every 3,000 miles. Adjust valves and brakes every 6,000. 12,000 miles full tune-up (points, plugs etc.). Make seasonal adjustments to choke and carb. Plus lube everything at each service interval. In this day of 100,000 mile tune ups and and self adjusting systems no one would put up with a vehicle requiring that much time in the shop. Almost every air cooled VW I get in my personal shop is in the same condition as the bike in your example, vintage vehicles require vintage maintenance schedules!
Yup. Whole 'nother ethic, isn't it?
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

77Gowing wrote:You sir are an excellent writer. I enjoy you posts.
And thank you especially for this article. I've about 1000 miles on my returned 77GW. It's my first bike and first bike I've ever worked on. Yes you are correct I was endanger of being lulled into security by my late model autos about maintenance.
But, I know some who like to fix it till it is broken too.

Again, great article. I'm going to review the recommended maintenance schedule and see if I am missing anything. Btw thus far she runs like a swiss watch.
Kenny
Thank you Kenny.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I know lots of people who spend hours washing and cleaning their cars/ bikes, but never even check the oil. And I agree wholeheartedly that most people view their vehicles (and pretty much everything else) as 'disposable.' I struggle with that mentality, especially with my stepson (he's 26). He's beginning to understand, having to help in the maintenance of Scarlett (our '76), but he has a long way to go to truly understand how I feel about my vehicles, tools, etc... I won't hold my breath waiting...
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Track T 2411 wrote:...he has a long way to go to truly understand...
:)
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Having served on nuclear subs where your life depends on the plant operating at 100% design 24/7, you learn that maintenance is continuous. We cleaned lube oil strainers every six hours, recorded and reviewed temperatures and pressures hourly, recorded EVERY change of speed and change in plant condition. Supervisors then reviewed the logs looking for trends. Equipment was overhauled by schedule whether you felt it needed it or not, and vibration analysis conducted on all rotating equipment to predict failures well ahead of time. This type of maintenance became a standard for the particle accelerators that I later operated in civilian life as they were just too expensive to have broken down. They also operated 24/7 with very high demand for their time.

Oil, grease, rags, filters... all pretty cheap.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

pidjones wrote:Having served on nuclear subs where your life depends on the plant operating at 100% design 24/7, you learn that maintenance is continuous. We cleaned lube oil strainers every six hours, recorded and reviewed temperatures and pressures hourly, recorded EVERY change of speed and change in plant condition. Supervisors then reviewed the logs looking for trends. Equipment was overhauled by schedule whether you felt it needed it or not, and vibration analysis conducted on all rotating equipment to predict failures well ahead of time. This type of maintenance became a standard for the particle accelerators that I later operated in civilian life as they were just too expensive to have broken down. They also operated 24/7 with very high demand for their time.

Maybe you could cobble up a nuclear powered gold wing bro?
Impressive submariner!
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

77Gowing wrote:
pidjones wrote:Having served on nuclear subs where your life depends on the plant operating at 100% design 24/7, you learn that maintenance is continuous. We cleaned lube oil strainers every six hours, recorded and reviewed temperatures and pressures hourly, recorded EVERY change of speed and change in plant condition. Supervisors then reviewed the logs looking for trends. Equipment was overhauled by schedule whether you felt it needed it or not, and vibration analysis conducted on all rotating equipment to predict failures well ahead of time. This type of maintenance became a standard for the particle accelerators that I later operated in civilian life as they were just too expensive to have broken down. They also operated 24/7 with very high demand for their time.

Maybe you could cobble up a nuclear powered gold wing bro?
Impressive submariner!
Not really. This is the way ALL of our nuclear fleet operated. Remember - we won our "war" (the cold one) without firing a shot. Our readiness became obvious to the potential opponent.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

all my friends with new bikes (honda and HD) think "maintenance" is something you take it to the stealer to do :IDTS: