The air cut valve

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: The air cut valve

Post by gltriker »

My natural inquisitiveness caused me to post the question above. Nothing more. But, I couldn't delete it in your topic.
Anyways
I fully understand the pilot and idle fuel circuit benefits greatly from a richer adjustment. 3 turns out from seated is my standard setting .

Now, I do have a question specific to how the extra fuel contribution by the Air Cut Valve operation when trike and I were descending a long steep mountain road 4 years ago ( White Face Mountain !) in first and second gear to save the brakes, might have possibly increased completely closed throttle , engine braking effect?
This was a question that was circulating in my head. I couldn't tell whether keeping the engine running or shutting the engine off while descending the mountain would be more effective, or is the engine braking effect equal in either of the 2 scenarios? I was too busy to keep it from leaving the road in curves to form an opinion that episode.

Keep in mind I suffered a significant brain injury 53 years ago. (hmmm. will that work? )
Yeah , I will offer that revelation up as an excuse for my inquisitive nature. ;) Thanks!
Done.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

The air cut system blocks ("cuts") air, it does not add fuel. And since the air cut system has no link to the throttle, it can have no effect on engine braking. Engine braking is most effective when the engine is running, yes.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

mikenixon wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 am The air cut system blocks ("cuts") air, it does not add fuel. And since the air cut system has no link to the throttle, it can have no effect on engine braking. Engine braking is most effective when the engine is running, yes.
Mike,
I was confident there was something of useful knowledge I could learn from you in my questions. tumb2

I doubt trike and I will ever ascend :crosso descend the 200 miles distant, White Face Mountain road again. ;)

Thank you.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

mikenixon wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 am The air cut system blocks ("cuts") air, it does not add fuel. And since the air cut system has no link to the throttle, it can have no effect on engine braking. Engine braking is most effective when the engine is running, yes.
Two things you might find interesting. When Honda started racing V4 roadrace bikes they found the engine configuration and higher than ever before cylinder compression added up to severe, much more than wanted, engine braking. This caused them of course to later develop their now-famous anti-back torque clutch, introduced on the 1982 production V4s. In the meantime however their solution was simply to turn the racebike engines' idle rpm way up. I mean WAY up. This greatly reduced engine braking and who cares about idle on a racebike, right? The downside was the high idle caused the engines to overheat on the starting grid, so the team mechanics were employed to stand next to the running bikes with...wait for it!...leaf blowers! To keep the not yet racing engines cool! True!

The other tech tidbit is that for a long time now Kawasaki fuel injection systems have employed programming in their computers that is there for the express purpose of managing engine braking. That is, when the computer senses the engine braking might be too much (especially for newer riders) under a given set of conditions, it moves the throttle plates to reduce it. Fact.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

I am assuming, that since my 82 1100 only has half an exhaust, that I am likely going to have to go to an after market exhaust & thus should not do the air cut off defeat. That said, I am up to my gills in other issues besides motorcycles and just praying that by the time I get to this bike I remember. Plus, I'm barried in carb manutia, but its not your fault. I'm just slow to catch on. Sometimes, life gets in the way.

On the bright side, my 77 Gl is still running great.
I do love your books.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Pb9717
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pb9717 »

I just rebuilt my GL1100's carbs with the Randakks kit and they work beautifully. Im doing it again for a second GL, and I may just block the air cuts in that set. BTW, 2 1/2 on the air/fuel mix screw did work perfectly....Baby purrs like a kitten.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

BurnsYoFace34
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BurnsYoFace34 »

So is it OK to block the air cut valve on the gl1000s
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

BurnsYoFace34 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:11 pm So is it OK to block the air cut valve on the gl1000s
Short answer. Yes.
Set each carburetor's air/fuel pilot mixture screw at 3 complete turns out from seated, too. Leave them all set at 3 full turns out from seated. For the rest of their collective service life.
Done ;)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

BurnsYoFace34 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:11 pm So is it OK to block the air cut valve on the gl1000s
not sure why you are asking? Could you say why you would want to do this?
BurnsYoFace34
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BurnsYoFace34 »

I really don't know why just asking if it was ok to do it. After reading the forum I couldn't really get a clear answer whether I could or couldn't for the gl1000 it was mainly for the 1100s
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

okay. The whole purpose of the air cut off is so that the engine does not run to lean when you back off the throttle.
BurnsYoFace34
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BurnsYoFace34 »

Yea I might leave it but idk I'm trying to get it running right it doesn't wanna idle on all 4 cyc. Just 1,3 not 2,4 unless you twist the throttle so im in the process of pulling the carbs an blowing compressed air threw the idle screws which I have done already then noticed my coils have cracks in them so now I'm trying to figure out what coils I wanna put in the bike I have the dyna s ignition I've read where someone has put 1500 coils on the bike but I also have a set of 81 1100 coils that look similar to the oem ones as well idk I just frustrated with the bike I tore my acl just had knee surgery so now ima have alot of time to work on it over the winter