Hazard flashers

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Hazard flashers

Post by mikenixon »

One thing I'm covinced of regarding many car drivers. Inattention. I mean major disconnectedness. Not necessarily stupidity, or even ineptitude. Just not really connected to the important task of operating a motor vehicle. And I'm not talking about the ones who text and put on makeup or do other dumb things while driving. That's a whole 'nother level of stupid. No, I mean the majority who just don't get the grave responsibility that driving is. They're robots. Get in the car and get in the zone. Autopilot. God help them and everyone else when anything the least but out of the ordinary happens. Used to be a mystery to me how multi-car pileups happened. Not any more.1

Another real danger are the drivers who blithely ignore emergency vehicles. I mean they are a hazard all their own. I often have to play defense in these situations too, by telegraphing upstream with my hazards. A public service, I am.2

I've been studying this thing, and the chances of becoming a victim to these road zombies is astronomical. So I use my hazard lights a lot. Like, religiously. For actual hazards. I imagine this aggravates the zonies, creating interrupting static in the midst of their beta waves--"whoa, what just happened!?" Wow. Another 48 ounce Big Gulp pilot nearly drowned from being rudely catapulted up from semiconciousness. Oh well.

So all my bikes nearly from the first one have been equipped with four-way flashers. It is surprising to me how few come this way even today, this late in the game. And they're simplicity itself to add. So, here are two easy ways of installing hazards. The first one is the way I have done the deed for nearly 50 years. It commandeers the engine stop switch, so realize that up front. If your kill switch is dear to you, then choose the second method.3

Method 1 bridges over the engine stop switch wiring (Honda: black to black/white) to free up the kill switch for more worthily-utilitarian duty.4 Two diodes are needed to isolate this addition to the standard turnsignal circuit, plus an additional turnsignal flasher relay is installed, the recommended one being the ubiquitous DOT #552. Simple.5

Method 2 requires a DPST (double-pole, single-throw) switch and the 552 flasher. The double-pole nature of the switch serves as the isolator in this method (no need for diodes). However, because of the switch's bulk, this method isn't as "clean" as the other method. Take your pick. And hey, be safe out there!

Notes:

1 Traffic engineers talk about an accordian effect. That is, that a given stretch of congested traffic tends to have both very slow and very fast parts. A single car can be observed slowing to 15mph and speeding to 60 a number of times every couple miles. Completely aside from the debilitating stress this produces, people die from this stuff every day.

2 And I won't even start on about the drivers who seemingly long ago decided that the brake pedal is for other people and not themselves. Idiots.

3 The engine stop switch should not exist. It causes ignition coil failure and run-down batteries, and being exposed to the elements is responsible for decreased ignition system voltage. But since it does exist, what better than to make it do something actually useful?

4 Please take responsibility for your own modifications. For legal purposes consider this article fun, fantasy, merely hypothetical. Whatever.

5 If you have done an LED turnsignal conversion, obviously you'll need an LED friendly flasher instead of the #552.

images

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Hazard flashers

Post by gltriker »

About 5 years ago, I found this hazard flasher installation information on your The Motorcycle Project website and have utilized the flashers in quite a few different situations. Thank You Very Much, Mike! tumb2

Tailgaters usually abruptly back off when they suddenly see the activated flashing rear amber lights and my quad cane lashed crossways on the back of my trike, too. :-D
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Ha! :)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

coming up over Fancy Gap (yes, that is a real place) I very often have the hazard flashers on as we enter the clouds. It amazes me the people in white vehicles who zip right past who seem to not realize that 50' down the road they have disappeared. :evil:
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

It's encouraging to know others like and use hazard flashers too. :)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I'm all for more visibility. Seems simple, too, but I am more than slightly challenged when it comes to electrical stuff. I'll have to give it a study...
Thanks for another project, Mike! lolol lolol lolol
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)