Industry insider facts

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Industry insider facts

Post by mikenixon »

Here are a few little-known powersports industry facts. I hope you find them interesting and entertaining.

First, tire repair. The Japanese OEMs train their dealers to never repair street bike tires. However, this is disengenuous. The fact is, these same companies' owner's manuals contradict the official position OEMs present to their dealers by formalizing streetbike tire repair. But with two qualifications. And it's the qualifications that are interesting. First, only a Uniseal (a combined patch and plug) is acceptable by all the OEMs, and for good reason. It's the best. Secondly, according to the OEMs, even using the Uniseal, the repair is considered make-do and therefore the tire downgraded from whatever speed rating it had originally to the lowest markable rating, 80mph. This too is in the owner's manuals.

Speaking of owner's manuals, they are mostly legal "discover" documents protecting the manufacturer, and not a whole lot else. Not like the old days when they actually informed the owner. Seven ways to not swallow the key and discouagements from biting your tires, particularly while the bike is moving, are what you'll find today. I did a study of owner's manuals while with Kawasaki and discovered that the most injury and death warnings were found in the owner's manuals for their Jet Ski personal watercraft (which product is hugely over-represented in liability claims), and the least for the KX four-stroke motocrossers.

Speaking of speed, most enthusiasts know that in 2000 the motorcycle manufacturers got together and voluntarily agreed to a 300 kph (186 mph) top speed limit for all their street-legal hyperbikes. This move successfully avoided U.S. government scrutiny in the face of Senator Danforth and others calling for wholesale bans on sportbikes. Interestingly, not all manufacturers agreed to the limit, mostly just the Big Four and one or two others. And, the earliest speed controls were ridiculously easy to circumvent.

Here's another. Not many are aware that in the middle 1980s a consumer group sued the Consumer Product Safety Commission to try to get it to outlaw ATVs. The fact is, adolescents were and still are over-represented in serious ATV injuries and deaths. The CPSC settled on a three-prong solution. The Commission asked manufacturers to make four-wheel ATVs instead of three-wheel, it required careful screening of buyers that prevented too-young riders, and it made mandatory free rider training for every buyer in the form of a video and a training voucher, all at the manufacturer's expense.

One of the most surprising powersports industry secrets is that the Big Four actually have no control over their dealers. That's right -- Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki have no say in the day-to-day operations of the dealers of their products. They don't have input into hiring, staff qualifications, business practices, selling prices, days and hours of operation, profit margins, any of that. In fact, Big Four dealers are virtually autonomous. The reason has to do with the so-called "Japanese invasion" of the 1960s. In their push to take over the American market, the Japanese made too few demands on new dealer signups; their dealer contracts gave the dealers too much power. In short, the Japanese manufacturers got their dealers the easy way, which now costs them dearly. The other brands got theirs the hard way, a fact now very much in their favor because it gave them a lot more control.

Finally, here's a biggie. In 2013 Consumer Reports did their first ever survey on the subject of motorcycle owner new bike satisfaction, and their results were stunning. In short, Consumer Reports' subscribers preferred more quirky Harleys, BMWs , Triumphs and Ducatis over historically more dependable Hondas and Yamahas. It's true enough that the Big Four's offerings can't be described as stirring very much passion; they just don't engage with their customers the way Harleys, Triumphs, BMWs and Ducatis do. Is it possible that the Big Fours' strength, that of being preeminent manufacturers, is also their weakness? That when it comes to the powersports culture, they're actually clueless? Many believe so. There seems little passion, vibe, or sense that motorcycles are a lifestyle with the Big Four. Few staff at Big Four corporate offices ride motorcycles regularly. Their dealers rarely host rides and barbeques and charity events, and they don't typically take advantage of media. The niche brands on the other hand are enthusiasts first and manufacturers second. For them riding is a lifestyle. They get it. They're all over it. It's who they are. They live it, and it's felt. It's real and it's huge and the Japanese have a lot to overcome. I hope they eventually do.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 04881.html
ancientdad
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Industry insider facts

Post by ancientdad »

Good stuff. I knew the 3 wheel ATVs got axed due to riders/owners thinking it worked just like a car or go-kart. I owned a first-year ATC90 and I loved it, but anyone who rode it had to hear my discussion about the usual when riding something that steered the way a soft-tired 3 wheeler did - as well as "don't put your foot down!" - and they still sometimes ran into things anyway. As for the Big 4 dealers not being invested in their clientele and their lifestyle... agree completely, most of the "powersports" (as they've come to be called) dealers near me are arrogant thieves and unless you're a big spender who is friends with management, you're just another number to them. that's one thing Harley gets right, the cult following is nurtured better with cookouts and rides and the brand is definitely a lifestyle... although personally, not one I prefer to subscribe to as they can be arrogant too. Funny how Japanese bike owners/riders are usually more accepting of everyone, at least it's been my experience in my area
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

ancientdad wrote:Funny how Japanese bike owners/riders are usually more accepting of everyone, at least it's been my experience in my area
Yup. Odd, huh? Big Four are emotionless bikes whose owners are nonetheless friendly, while H-Ds stir the soul more successfully yet their owners tend to be more stand-offish. A perception to be sure and I won't be offended if someone argues with it.
eades473
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by eades473 »

I own a Harley and a Goldwing, while I may not always be successful I try to be friendly to everyone!
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

eades473 wrote:I own a Harley and a Goldwing, while I may not always be successful I try to be friendly to everyone!
I can tell! Good for you! :) Goes to show, generalizations are indefensible at best. Hope you were not offended.
eades473
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by eades473 »

No offense taken, I can't understand the rift that sometimes occurs between riders of different brands. In my experience I believe the AMA has been the most diverse organization that represents all types of riders. Been a member for over 22 years and look forward to many more.
ancientdad
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by ancientdad »

eades473 wrote:No offense taken, I can't understand the rift that sometimes occurs between riders of different brands. In my experience I believe the AMA has been the most diverse organization that represents all types of riders. Been a member for over 22 years and look forward to many more.
I've always been bike-friendly even though some brands/styles make me nauseous :lol: I remember a late '70s Daytona Bike Week trip one year when my then-wife and I stopped on my CB750K3 for a bite to eat at McD's and a bunch of Harley riders were there, and the tension in the air was incredible... when we walked out and by a few of them, one guy said "Japanese junk sucks". At the risk of getting a beat down, I said "the war was over a long time ago" and kept walking... I've never owned a Harley but have wanted one ever since working for 12 years at the City of Tampa Police Garage on their shovelheads and later, the KZ1000s - but the Big 4 bikes have always been more affordable so it hasn't happened yet. Maybe one day... I like the idea of having one of each
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

ancientdad wrote:
eades473 wrote:No offense taken, I can't understand the rift that sometimes occurs between riders of different brands. In my experience I believe the AMA has been the most diverse organization that represents all types of riders. Been a member for over 22 years and look forward to many more.
I've always been bike-friendly even though some brands/styles make me nauseous :lol: I remember a late '70s Daytona Bike Week trip one year when my then-wife and I stopped on my CB750K3 for a bite to eat at McD's and a bunch of Harley riders were there, and the tension in the air was incredible... when we walked out and by a few of them, one guy said "Japanese junk sucks". At the risk of getting a beat down, I said "the war was over a long time ago" and kept walking... I've never owned a Harley but have wanted one ever since working for 12 years at the City of Tampa Police Garage on their shovelheads and later, the KZ1000s - but the Big 4 bikes have always been more affordable so it hasn't happened yet. Maybe one day... I like the idea of having one of each
Cool. I worked on police KZs a little and also worked in a couple Harley shops, so I'm with you on that.
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

On the subject of biker etiquette, I'm just glad the whole "wave" thing has evolved over the years. 30 years ago, HD riders wouldn't wave to anyone other than another HD. Not that it really hurt my feelings but I would find myself spending way too much time trying to identify an oncoming bike and getting my "wave/no wave" reflex ready. Nowadays, everyone seems to be waving no matter what they ride or what they're passing. It's MUCH more relaxing.

But those scooters. :evil: I'd like to wave but feel that would be encouraging them.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

and they still sometimes ran into things anyway.
I had to laugh. Both times I've given a 3 wheeler a go, I've run into things.

As for the Harley vs Honda thing, Adam, Max and I rode out to Dakota this past summer on a 1000, 1200, and 1100 respectively. We've been riding wings out there for many years, but this was the first time that I witnessed HD riders coming over and showing appreciation for "Classic" machines. It was nice.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

sgwilly wrote:But those scooters. :evil: I'd like to wave but feel that would be encouraging them.
:)
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

:crosso
I currently ride a CX500Custom and when I see many older Harley riders, they often comment that they had had on a CX or GL as a first bike and always want to know how I acquired it and how long it took to make road worthy.
Aberdale
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Aberdale »

I don't really know any industry insider facts, but being a BMW rider for 30 years, I find it interesting that Honda beat BMW to the punch with the Goldwing.

Prior to the early 1980s, BMW's were famous for their boxer engines. Smooth, durable, pretty much bulletproof and easy to work on. A simple two cylinder boxer. Pushrod valves. Air cooled. And two simple carburetors. But as the 1970s were drawing to a close and emission standards were becoming more stringent, and the horsepower wars were in full effect, BMW knew that the days of the simple airhead were numbered. A logical next step would have been to develop a 4 cylinder water cooled boxer with overhead cams, fuel injection, and electronic ignition. The problem was that Honda was already there with the Goldwing (fuel injection and electronic ignition would come later). If BMW came out with their own version of a 4 cylinder boxer, it would have been a yawner, since Honda had beat them by a full 5 years.

Instead, BMW launched the K-bike in 1985, after 6 years of development. A 1 liter 4 cylinder (and later a 750cc 3 cylinder) in-line water cooled fuel injected engine. It was basically a car engine placed horizontally. After owning several examples over the years, I can say it's a fine motorcycle with many of the positive attributes of the original airhead (smooth, durable, and pretty much bulletproof), but also with some of the same criticisms that the Goldwing also had in it's day. Mostly, those criticisms revolved around being heavy, expensive, and complex to work on.

Obviously BMW has evolved quite a bit from their original boxer layout, although they still offer a few models that still retain the boxer twin layout. It would have been interesting to see how their engine development would have played out if Honda hadn't gotten there first.

'dale
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

"There seems little passion, vibe, or sense that motorcycles are a lifestyle with the Big Four. Few staff at Big Four corporate offices ride motorcycles regularly. Their dealers rarely host rides and barbeques and charity events, and they don't typically take advantage of media. The niche brands on the other hand are enthusiasts first and manufacturers second."

Spot on. I am a life member of HOG. And that does not stand for "Honda Owners Group". Harley dealers MUST put on several customer events each year. And while they do not have to have a local HOG chapter, it is strongly encouraged.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)