Re: pretty carb rebuild process pix

Post by calif wingnut »

You be the man Mike :<)
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Very nice Mike. My H F ultrasonic Cleaner cant compare to that. It works but that's about it even with warm solution and lots of time.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

salukispeed wrote:Very nice Mike. My H F ultrasonic Cleaner cant compare to that. It works but that's about it even with warm solution and lots of time.
I have been using it a long time. Decided early on to get a pro unit. There are some articles on my website about choosing one. I have learned so much and grown to appreciate ultrasonic so thoroughly I can't even believe I ever did it any other way before.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... ing_v7.swf
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... _more.html
http://www.simplycarbs.com/articles/ultrasonic_pix.html
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Looks great! I also use an ultrasonic with great results! (and a soda blaster as well)

One question: I see that you refer to pinesol as the "urban myth" carb cleaner. What is the reasoning behind this? Personally, I have found it works really well to degrease/brighten carbs. It's not a fix all, but I find that it works better than a lot of carb dip products.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

It's a fair question. In the same article I mention that in my experience (I have gone through a couple gallons of the stuff) only carbs that could be cleaned by dipping in kerosene are cleaned by Pine Sol (speaking of the throughness here, or lack of it), and I attibute this to Pine Sol having nearly the same effect, if not the exact same chemistry, though they're close. Pine oil is in fact a natural solvent, so it is not surprising. So, in short, if you can be happy with how well lantern fuel cleans a carburetor, then you will be with the results of Pine Sol. Not trying to be argumentive. I just believe folks don't realize how ineffective Pine Sol is. That is what I mean by "urban myth."

I am surprised you have had brightenin results. My experience is the opposite, that it darkens. Also that you find it as good as traditional dips, in fact this is very surprising, as methylene chloride and its cousins are extrmemely effective and have been (or were) the standard for as long as there have beeen carburetors.

One more thing. You mention Pine Sol and ultrasonics. I trust you are not running Pine Sol *in* your ultrasonic cleaner..... The stuff is supposed to be flammable.