Carburetor cleaning

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Carburetor cleaning

Post by mikenixon »

All the time I get folks asking if they really need to remove the brass bits when cleaning their carburetors... It's not an option. This one is GL1000 secondary main tube.

Although the following jets aren't Gold Wing, you can appreciate from this pix how clean the brass parts in your carburetors should be. These are some good looking jets, eh? :)

El_Taco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Carburetor cleaning

Post by El_Taco »

Well, I cleaned them three times and it still won't idle. Emulsion tube, what's that?

It didn't unscrew, so I left it in there. Lots of that stuff didn't want to come apart, I don't know what's wrong with it.

It's the machine's fault, I did everything right. This is why nobody rides these anymore. Really.

It's supposed to idle rough, ain't you ever seen a Harley? That's the sound you want.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

El_Taco wrote:Well, I cleaned them three times and it still won't idle. Emulsion tube, what's that?

It didn't unscrew, so I left it in there. Lots of that stuff didn't want to come apart, I don't know what's wrong with it.

It's the machine's fault, I did everything right. This is why nobody rides these anymore. Really.

It's supposed to idle rough, ain't you ever seen a Harley? That's the sound you want.

LOL! :-D
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

I find a nice ultrasonic degrease followed by a 10 minute dunk in CLR to get rid of any calcium does wonders for jets. Make sure to rinse the CLR off well!