float bowl screw thread repairs

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

float bowl screw thread repairs

Post by mikenixon »

Saw some mention of this elsewhere. I am a firm believer in the Timesert product. Use it pretty often in carb rebuilding, especially on the GL1000 which seems predisposed to having pulled threads, probably due to three things: the tendancy of 40 year old carbs to have issues including leaks resulting in folks overtightening things in attempts to solve them, the plain flat gasket sealing surface on the GL1000 carb bowls which is not the best sealing arrangement but is especially bad if using any of the non-reinforced float bowl gaskets, and perhaps of most import the high soft metal zinc content in these carbs. You can find an article on my website with more detail.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... epair.html

Before Timesert repair

After Timesert repair

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: float bowl screw thread repairs

Post by robin1731 »

Those are also what I use and recommend. Initial cost of the kit is a bit high for the DIYer but worth it to me.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Yup. Interestingly, Time Fastener was originally based near the Triumph Motor Co. headquarters here in So Cal. When (1973) I was in trade school (LATTC) we learned all about Timeserts from a former Triumph field rep, and learned that Triumph had actually started using Timeserts at the factory in England. Great product that is under-appreciated.
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

Back in the day I used Helicoils with almost 100% disappointment. But my son used a Timesert to fix stripped floatbowl screws with success on the first try.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

mikenixon wrote:snip........... Great product that is under-appreciated.

I agree. Heli-coil's have their place but for small screws like the float bowels the time-serts are hard to beat.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

(Can you tell I am sitting here on a rainy Saturday indoors...) Speaking of threads, carburetor rebuilding includes in my view a lot of special handling of threads. Here is a part of the thread tools (taps in this case) I use every day.

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

DocRoot wrote:Back in the day I used Helicoils with almost 100% disappointment. But my son used a Timesert to fix stripped floatbowl screws with success on the first try.
Me too. As a mechanics student and then 4 decades as a mechanic, I had many opportunities to learn how to do it, and Helicoils just never seemed intuitive somehow.