A day in the life #6 -- Bad advice

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

A day in the life #6 -- Bad advice

Post by mikenixon »

We all have people give us advice.  Some folks seem pretty good at giving advice, asked for or not.  I wonder how many of these folks realize the long-term effects of their counsel.  One fella, he was the Parts Dept. manager in a Honda shop I worked in, I especially remember.  The owner of the dealership liked this guy a lot, I think because he somehow managed to sell a lot of accessories.  But us mechanics, well, we had a different opinion.  The guy tried overly hard to convince us he was as good behind a wrench as behind the parts counter.  But I learned what he was made of one day, and the lesson has stuck with me ever since.  He was watching me laboriously scrape the gasket from an engine cover when he said, "You know, you really should use a power sander on that, save a lot of time.". I remember looking up at him, not sure if he was serious or what.  He continued, "Can't make any money doing it your way.". I knew then what sort he was.  And you know, I think of him each time I carefully prepare a gasket surface even today, 38 years later.  I have replaced enough gaskets in the years since that I have long since been unneedful of such advice.  But  I wonder if he ever dreamed his advice would have the opposite of its intended effect, that it would simply harden my resolve to do it right?
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: A day in the life #6 -- Bad advice

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

I'm sure it was a logical proceedure in his mind.

It was my ex wife's father that taught me the ins and outs of air conditioning & heating repair and the correct way of doing things. For me, the funny thing was that after a few years of doing service calls he asked my why my jobs were taking so long. I told him that I was doing everything as he taught me to do it. He replied that I needed to speed things up. In order to satisfy him I had to begin taking shortcuts and a few weeks after that he asked how come my callback rate had increased. I explained what I'd been doing and reminded him of his request to speed things up. He lamented.... go back to the way you were doing it. :)

There's always a faster way to get things done but shortcuts cost everyone. The customer come up short by having to get his stuff worked on again, the business owners costs go up for time he can't charge for and your reputation begins to suffer.

If you don't have time to do things right the first time, how are you going to find time to do it again?
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

I try to follow these words of wisdom from my friends Mom who I respect very much.

Remember young man to heed these words, Before the labor has begun to do it well or not at all.

If I dont I usually regret it down the road somehow.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

2 proverbs to live by:

"Why is it that there is never time to do the job right but there is always time to do it over?"

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember what you said"