Where have all the real riders gone?

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Where have all the real riders gone?

Post by Sidecar Bob »

25,000 miles (=40,000 Km) is a lot for one year. I don't drive anything with more than 3 wheels :) and I only average about 15,000 Km per year, most of that done in my daily commute.

But I am out on the bike almost every day, no matter what the weather. I say almost because when I turned 60 I told my boss I wasn't going to come to work when the roads aren't plowed any more.

Cold isn't really an issue. I have learned over the years how to equip the bike and how to dress for the weather and besides, my commute is less than a half hour and they go out on snowmobiles longer than that just to play. At least when I go out I'm going somewhere :lol:

I used to hear more than a few comments about sidecar outfits not really being bikes but I learned to respond by asking the so-called biker if he wanted to "go for a ride - in January or February maybe".

BTW: My annual mileage will be a bit off this year because I have been supposed to limit my driving as much as possible all year and no driving at all for a couple of months after the rotator cuff surgery. Which is why I have time to read & reply to stuff that was posted last year...
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

I missed this thread when it was new. Funny that I was just thinking about it this morning. When I was in a young'un, I used a motorcycle as my primary transportation as much as possible. Living in Michigan, there were limits to what was safe on two wheels, but I never though much about riding so long as the roads weren't iced over.

Fast forward 30 years. Kids have been raised, and I have been back into bikes for the past 4-5 years. Now they are strictly a recreational conveyance. I might go on 2-3 overnight trips each summer, other than that it's a 1-2 hour ride in the evening, or the occasional day trip to a bike show. Now, I rarely go out when the temps drop below 55°.

My work precludes me using the bike for day to day transportation, my wife isn't interested in climbing on the back, or learning to ride one herself. Traffic congestion, cell phones, and a general disregard for the "other guy" in today's society also causes enough concern that I don't ride when I might have otherwise. I am not interested in becoming a hood ornament for some Buick. I have gotten nearly as much enjoyment out of restoring and wrenching on my bikes as I have riding them.

YMMV. But we all share a common interest, whether your a road warrior, or a weekend warrior. Ride on.
evilratwing
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing

Post by evilratwing »

I ride to and from work every day. I go to the odd "bike night" at some bar somewhere. I'll go for a 2-300 mile saturday or sunday trip.

Just bought a new (used) weather"proof" jacket at Goodwill specifically for riding.

I think I'm gonna paint it with black RTV just to be... different. And to keep it from tearing at 80+ mph. It's pretty dern warm.

I need less NVH to go multi-state on this thing. I may have to acquire something additional just for that purpose. :crosso
evilratwing
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing

Post by evilratwing »

..oh, I'm 34. Have a 3 year old daughter, wife, decent job. Weekends off, limited availability to use vacation days.
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

after starting and a decade of daily driving, it has mostly been all over for me since 88 after a van turned left in front of me,

big bummer too was my good friend was killed a few years ago, sitting to make a left turn
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Yeah, traffic, people not paying attention, traffic, trucks, traffic...riding is more...nervous? scary? something in there any way.
I was never a tourer until I bought the '06 so I was never really a huge miles rider. The bike was to get me where I needed to be (like work).
Taking 20 years off from motorcycling was a hit. I finally broke the 100k mile marker a couple years ago when doing the Lake Superior loop.
Somebody commented about posers. Although I think of that as generally an HD owner term, there are a LOT of 1500 and 1800 riders who fit that too. In a slightly different way, I know, but it still fits. Lord knows they have no idea of what they're looking at when they see ANY of the naked bikes that members here own. They have a better shot at the baggers, but I'm sure none of them would recognize something like Sagebrush's blue bike (which I still hate).
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

So till I get a 100 K on my 1800, I am a poser? Just askin' lolol lolol lolol lolol
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

I don't think miles are an accurate measure of whether a person is a motorcyclist or not. A dishwasher that worked for me for many years rode a CX500 everyday as his only transportation, yet he had no interest in the machine or riding, he was just cheap and lazy. The bike was given to him and he never took any time to learn how to do anything more than put fuel in it. His skills were minimal at best, I can still see his feet "walking" the bike at every start and stop. If the bike went down it was just an oh well moment.
I am sure most on this forum have chosen motorcycling as an activity to be involved in, like a sport or hobby. It does not matter if we travel great distance or merely commute to and from work, we are interested in improving both our motorcycles and our skills. We are enthusiasts who have chosen a vehicle that requires skill and attention to operate safely, and accept the risks that go along with that. It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Well said action1 action1
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

CYBORG wrote:Well said action1 action1

I agree. You might be surprised at how little some regulars on here ride much at all. That alone doesn't make them a "poser". ;)
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

Yes, I believe the label "poser" has more to do with attitude than miles. If having _______ (fill in blank with motorcycles fast cars, guns, golf clubs, ect) has more to do with how others perceive you than your ability to master the item, you are probably a poser!
albuilt51
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by albuilt51 »

Got my first bike in 1968, an old HD servi-car found alongside a guy's garage under a tarp covered with leaves. Built a lot of custom HD pans and shovels from 'scratch' before custom made parts were readily available to buy with a plastic card. Swung hammers at an HD dealership in the 70's, even had my own shop for a few years, but it got to the point that I hated being stigmatized by the machine under me and sought out other brands.

Besides HD's I've owned, ridden, restored, repaired, built & rebuilt countless bikes over the years from Honda 50's, BSA's, dirt & street Kaw's & Yamaha's, vintage BMW's and Guzzi's, and my favorite - the Goldwing's. Never was seriously hurt, despite my share of opportunities (wrecks). Lost some good friends who went out doing what they enjoyed most. Always, ALWAYS, rode as if my life depended on every tiny mechanical detail and physical observation. Despite racking up hundred of thousands of miles on two wheels over the years, I walked away from it all 15 years ago when that little voice in the back of my head said it was time to do so.

I just recently purchased a very clean 1982 GL1100 w/36k miles in excellent running condition. Drove it home 35 miles on a blustery cold Michigan day, but never felt the cold. Oh, what a feeling to be back in the saddle again! Bought the bike as an investment to re-sell in the spring, but will have to see how this all plays out when spring actually rolls around. The biggest obstacle is do not put a wrench to this bike, for any reason, because once you do one little thing - well, you all know what happens...

It has been great reading what other members have posted here. Kind of like a reunion with folks I've never met before. It's highly likely that we may have passed each other on the hi-ways and bi-ways at some point over the years.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1718420/parts ... -advisory/

I drove Eccles to work & back in that yesterday. Does that qualify me as a "real rider"?

We had about 4" overnight. I'm still not supposed to shovel snow but it looked light & fluffy so I put my gear on, went into the garage, opened the overhead door and found nearly a foot of snow piled in the doorway. No problem - that drift was only a few inches wide, so It was gone in a couple of passes of the scoop and that really was light so moving a couple more scoops from where I needed to push Eccles out of the garage wasn't much effort either. Then I looked down the driveway and realized that the road wasn't plowed yet. OK, I'll go back inside until the plow has been. Wait, what are those flashing lights at the corner? Well, I didn't have long to wait so I didn't go back inside.

As usual, the plow left a knee deep bank across the end of the driveway but that isn't a problem - its downhill on the driveway and then downhill on the road so getting out is easy. The drive to work was pretty uneventful - just take it easy and if the road starts to feel greasy slow down a bit. I actually got up to 80 Km/h in a couple of places but not for very long.

Then it snowed all day. Not heavily, but I had to brush a few inches off of the sidecar. I figured something out last winter: We had a couple of days with freezing rain forecast so I took a poly tarp to cover the fairing so I wouldn't need to chip ice off of the windshield and I discovered that when it snowed it was a lot easier to shake the snow off of the tarp than it was to brush it out from between the fairing and the rest of the bike. So I ordered a cheap bike cover and I don't have to mess around brushing off the bike anymore.

Anyway, the drive home was much like the drive in and when I got home the guy had been to clear the driveway so I didn't even have to take a run at the snowbank ;-)
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :bravo :bravo frosty1 frosty1
mildhog
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by mildhog »

Ride to work every day rain or shine any temp. Only ice on the road keeps me off the bikes. Not a common occurance here. Took a trip to Key West and several around VA. Since I ride to work every day, I don't ride on weekends. I started riding in my mid 50's after the kids were on their own and now I'm trying to make up for lost time. If I don't ride, I'm working/restoring a bike. The stable's full for now. Does this make me a real rider? It's real enough for me.